GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Bushtec Turbo 2 mint with low miles. When I take out air from the Schaefer valve, a little orange like liquid comes out…a drop or two. I’ve never seen this and was curious if anyone has experienced this?
My first thought were the shocks and they appear and function as they should. The airlines do not lose air btw.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Did you purchase the trailer used? It’s possible someone may have added airline antifreeze or oil.. B.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd guess water in your air supply. One of the consequences of compressing air is squeezing moisture from it. Rusts the inside of the tank and turns the water orange.

If you get the water from your own compressor I'd suggest you drain the tank. Make sure you have 0 pressure on the tank when you do it. Depending where you live and how much you use the compressor it should be done at least once per year...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2nd owner and not sure how the previous owner filled it but I only use the hand pump. I guess I can fill the lines by hand, empty the air a few times to see if it gets rid of it.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I'd guess water in your air supply. One of the consequences of compressing air is squeezing moisture from it. Rusts the inside of the tank and turns the water orange.
This was my thought, too.

Reactions: LDimick

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Yeah, had some wet air put in. Overall, minor amount won't hurt.

Verify your air tank is drained. Remove the valve core from the Schrader valve. Reduce compressor outlet pressure to 45 psi. Connect compressor to trailer, fill shocks, remove compressor air line from trailer allowing the air to blow out - purging the system. Recommend placing a paper towel over the outlet to collect any signs of moisture. Repeat a couple of times till satisfied with results. Reinstall valve core and travel on.

Reactions: CO-GLrider

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does sound like an air compressor was used. I've adjusted the air shocks on my '02' CSC Escapade 100's of times since new, with the hand pump, and never witnessed moisture in the line. I do use a water separator on my shop air compressor, which is helpful but I don't use it on the trailer shocks. I don't know about Bushtec but CSC warns against using anything but a hand pump for shock adjustment. But everyone has their own method. B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts