GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many Bushtec users have had problems with the air suspension system?

Mine's not holding air. Again. It went flat on the way home from picking it up new at the factory in Sept, went back and had one shock replaced, has been in the garage over the winter with occasional top-offs, and now is leaking down in 2 days.

I'm thinking that I'd be better served with a more ordinary suspension system.

-Mark

·
Registered
748 Posts
bushtec

Sometimes, you can hear it leak if you have a bit of patience and take your time. Otherwise, it the leak is too slow, a nice mixture of soap and water spritzed around all the fittings should help you find the leak.

If that doesn't work, remove each fitting and make sure the the end of the line had been cut "square. Reinstall hand-tight (snug). Do not over tighten.

Don't forget there are two more fittings at the filler valve. And...don't forget to check the fillervalve itself.

And...when spritzing the valves, also spray all around the shock itself looking for the leak.

And you can do a visual inspection of the lines as best you can where they enter the tongue tube, front and back. (I always like to run them in a piece of fish tank line for extra security.

If that does not work, you can test each shock individually.

The Bushtec is a nice system...until it fails. And it normally doesn't fail unless a shock dies, or unless somebody installed the system wrong.

Let us know, eh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make some effort to find the leak, but it's more than a little frustrating that I decided to go with what I thought was a premium product and it turns out to not give good service, even brand new.

I've emailed Bushtec, and will give them a call tomorrow.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hmmmm....no "leaks" on mine

I understand your frustration...one someone buys ANYTHING that isn't "right" it is very frustrating...and this can be compounded by poor customer service

Fortunately you will not hav that problem....everyone has an anomoly...I am sure Bushtec will correct

Please let us know how you make out

·
Registered
634 Posts
:22yikes:Mark, I feel your pain, but don't worry Bushtec will fix it for you. I had a similar issue with my new Quantum Bushtec Sport on the way home from Grapevine, TX where I traded my old Bushtec Turbo in for the new Bushtec Sport. Never had an issue with the Turbo in the 10 years I owned it, but had a problem with the Sport on the way home from Grapevine, TX. System would lose air about every 150 miles and I had to stop and pump back up. Bushtec gave me some trouble-shooting instructions and sent two shocks, but all to no avail stopping the leak. I made a Saturday appointment with them in Jacksboro and they removed the suspension system and replaced it with a complete new one in a couple of hours. Ahhhhh, no more problems or loss of air to this day and it's been about 5 yrs. Let them know when you can be there with the trailer and they will make it right. At least that was my experience.:cool:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Knowing John and the rest of the people at Bushtec I bet if you call them they will be right on it and do what ever it takes to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that Bushtec has excellent customer service, and I have no problem with the people there. The problem is that they're 5 hours away and need the trailer early in the morning and for several hours, so it's a day off work to take it and a day to get it worked on.

As much as I enjoy going places, I've pretty much seen Jacksboro, TN, now.

The bigger frustration is that this is the second time I've been through this.

Good customer service is nice, but not needing to take advantage of that service would be even better.

-Mark

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine also started leaking air. I used a soap bottle to easily find it leaking at the T that is in the air line just inside the right wheel. This is where the line from the filler valve on the tongue splits and goes to each air shock. The T is plastic and one of the plastic nuts had vibrated a little loose. A quick tightening (not over tight, its plastic) fixed the leak. The easiest way to get to the T is to pull the right wheel off or stand the trailer up on its back end on a soft blanket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing wrong with Jacksboro.

I'm not sure that it's actually within the town limits, but the Hampton Inn beside the interstate is fairly interesting. It's run by the family of a moonshiner and is kept as sort of a shrine to him. It's nice to remember loved ones who've passed, but I'm not sure I'd want to go to work everyday and see the leather jacket that Grandpa wore when he was shot by the sheriff. All seemed to be nice folks, though, and I'll probably stay there again when I take the trailer back home for a visit.

-Mark

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Would that include the one by the interstate?;)

I thought Jacksboro was kind of neat.
No, the one next to the interstate is in Caryville, so is the Hampton. This is a real nice area and some great riding close by. If any of you are up this way during warmer weather give me a shout and we'll do some riding.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
How many Bushtec users have had problems with the air suspension system?

Mine's not holding air. Again. It went flat on the way home from picking it up new at the factory in Sept, went back and had one shock replaced, has been in the garage over the winter with occasional top-offs, and now is leaking down in 2 days.

I'm thinking that I'd be better served with a more ordinary suspension system.

-Mark
Maybe, I've had mine since 2002 and it's still holding air, Call John at the factory you will get better service than any other trailer MFG in the USA.

They will make it right at no cost other than your time to get it their or perhaps if you talk with them you may be able to ship it to them and they can give it a once over.

If you don't like it (FIX) it yourself and Sell it - It will sell faster even at this time than any other trailer you place in the want ads.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Mine is 4 years old no air leaks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on no leaks in fours years. Mine leaked immediately, and Bushtec replaced one of the shocks that had a pinhole in the bladder.

This time the problem seems to have healed itself.

I sprayed the connections with soapy water and wiggled them to make sure they were at least finger-tight. No bubbles showed up. Then I depressed the valve stem to blow the water out of the schrader valve. Since then, it only lost 2 lbs pressure in a week.

Maybe there was some crud in the valve that cleared out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
20+ Years old; and no leak!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
A friend of mine and I are in the process of customizing the trailer. Our first step was going to be to rebuild the suspension. After review (and finding out what a update would cost), we decided if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Will post pictures after customizing work is done. Trailer was old enough that it had 6 coats of paint on it. Bushtec (after reviewing pictures) said it is an early 80's Turbo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts