GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I just just change the light bulbs to LED with no wiring changes needed? I have always understood you can not do this. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The LEDs can be current direction specific so while a traditional bulb doesn't care about positive or negative terminals or even AC, the LED has one side that MUST be positive and one that MUST be negative. If your Bushtec has traditional bulbs, e.g., 1156 or 1157, then you should not have a problem. If they are the newer push in style you may need to pull them and flip 180 and push them back.

Another concern is that since LED bulbs do not draw as much current as an incandescent bulb, traditional electro-mechanical turn signal flashers do not work correctly. Since this is a trailer, that is not relevant. If you change the bulbs on your bike, you would need to either add resisters to the turn signal circuit (effectively eliminated an advantage of the LED) or switch the flasher to an electronic one.

SUPERBRIGHT LEDs has replacement bulbs as well as Southern California Motorcycle Gear (SCMG) sold by one of the board sponsors. I have found that the cheaper ones are not worth the money.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yes, try to get bulbs that have LEDs all around and not just pointing aft, you will get better lighting that way.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. My trailer has 3157 bulbs. Is this this the same style as the 1157 and therefore OK to make the switch?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts