GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 5,000 trip to Canada. Two 1800 trikes with Bushtec trailers and new style Bushtec tires on each. Each having a extra tire and wheel for spare. The reason for the tire and wheel was in May after 1,300 miles on the new style tires one exploded and damaged the trailer paint and broke off the mud flap and damaged the wheel. This time the failure occurred after about 3,500 miles @ 75 mph. More paint damage and another mud flap plus terrible trailer whip with wife onboard. Both trailers were fully loaded but not overloaded and thong weight adjusted. These new tires seem to be junk. They split down the middle of the tread. There are no references on the tire as to a 6 ply rating. It says like 2+ on the sidewall nothing relating to 6 ply. After our first failure in May we found a tire and extra tube are not enough.
If the wheel is damaged during the failure, you are in big trouble. The only way with a Bushtec is to have a complete tire and wheel ready to go. Please not this was a factory mounted tire and wheel purchased complete and pressure checked daily. I had over 40,000 miles on the old tread design with never a problem. I might put them back on and carry the new style for the spare. Ride safe and I think Bushtec has a tire problem on the best trailer made.
FYI you don't plug a tube type tire.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Did you contact the factory and if so what was there reaction? Tires were discussed during their plant tour in July(WD). The reason given for the switch was the old style tire was no longer available. The tour guide had only been at Bushtec for two weeks but was hired for a upper management position and to get things squared away. He didn't know that the new tires are one directional. Were your failures mounted correctly?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I put on the new tires earlier this year. I've got about 2000 miles on them with no problems. I'd love to hear what Bushtec has to say about them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Both trailers were fully loaded but not overloaded and thong weight adjusted.
Can you tell me exactly how you adjust the "thong weight" on this rig...I am pretty sure that you get in bad trouble if you do that wrong:p :p :lol:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Just got back from a 5,000 trip to Canada. Two 1800 trikes with Bushtec trailers and new style Bushtec tires on each. Each having a extra tire and wheel for spare. The reason for the tire and wheel was in May after 1,300 miles on the new style tires one exploded and damaged the trailer paint and broke off the mud flap and damaged the wheel. This time the failure occurred after about 3,500 miles @ 75 mph. More paint damage and another mud flap plus terrible trailer whip with wife onboard. Both trailers were fully loaded but not overloaded and thong weight adjusted. These new tires seem to be junk. They split down the middle of the tread. There are no references on the tire as to a 6 ply rating. It says like 2+ on the sidewall nothing relating to 6 ply. After our first failure in May we found a tire and extra tube are not enough.
If the wheel is damaged during the failure, you are in big trouble. The only way with a Bushtec is to have a complete tire and wheel ready to go. Please not this was a factory mounted tire and wheel purchased complete and pressure checked daily. I had over 40,000 miles on the old tread design with never a problem. I might put them back on and carry the new style for the spare. Ride safe and I think Bushtec has a tire problem on the best trailer made.
FYI you don't plug a tube type tire.
Did you report your experiences with these tires to the NHSTA....if you havn't you should.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
directional tires

Yes the tires are directional and mounted properly. The trailer tongue weight was 35#. No problem with old tires for 60,000, just the new ones. They split down the middle and the tread comes apart. Tube damages trailer. Never had this problem with old tires.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
bought a set of tires from Motorcyle Super Store 3x16 dual purpose 4 Ply tire's 2 for $52 :thumbup: towed the Bushtec for 3000 mi, BRP, made 3 runs thru the Dragon !!
I see no ill affects or problems, the wear seems good to me.....
no disrespect to folks @ Bushtec..
I just like saving some $$$$$ once in a while....
BTW, I'm running Dyna Beads in the tubes .... w/ 32 psi..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good Grief.

You are very blessed you or someone else wasn't seriously injured with a catastrophic tire failure at 75 miles an hour. There is NO DARN EXCUSE for selling junk like that.

I really do get tired of hearing about these close calls caused by part, mechanical or tire failure. Someone needs to DO something about this.

PLEASE: Anyone thinking about buying a new or even used trailer do yourself and your loved ones a favor and RESEARCH the problems and inherent dangers of ANY trailer you plan to buy. Also, IF YOU KNOW OF A FRIEND WHO IS LOOKING AT TRAILERS TELL HIM TO COME TO THIS BOARD AND RESEARCH HIS PURCHASE ALSO. There are a number of excellent, safe, well engineered, mechanically sound trailers on the market. You can also buy very unsafe trailers too.

Just search this very board. It could save your life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jim - Have you talked to anyone at the Factory about this issue? We've checked our records here, and have no record of hearing about your initial failure, or your most recent one, until you posted here.

In general, out of more than 1,000 of the new tires sold, we have not had a single one returned as failed, or shredded. Would it be possible for you to ship the tire to us for it be examined?

Thanks - Brian
My email is [email protected] if you would like to send me email directly.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Jim - Have you talked to anyone at the Factory about this issue? We've checked our records here, and have no record of hearing about your initial failure, or your most recent one, until you posted here.

In general, out of more than 1,000 of the new tires sold, we have not had a single one returned as failed, or shredded. Would it be possible for you to ship the tire to us for it be examined?

Thanks - Brian
My email is [email protected] if you would like to send me email directly.
Can't beat that for customer service.:thumbup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would not consider it good or great customer service for General Motors to pay a collision center to repair my Corvair after it crashed and was destroyed due to a factory defect. Nor would I consider it great customer service if Ford paid for the funeral of a loved one burned alive in a Maverick that burned when a faulty gas tank erupted into flames from a rear end crash.

I would be very happy, thank you, if those two companies hired competent engineers and designed safer vehicles. And I would be happier still if they took dangerous models off the market.

But wait!! I do believe they have done these things. And my family and yours are safer for it.

Just remember: IF YOU ARE PLANING TO BUY A NEW TRAILER LOOK VERY CAREFULLY AT ITS TRACK RECORD. And remember this also: There were many, many happy Corvair and Maverick owners who rolled up millions of blissful miles in their pride and joy. But that didn't help the ones who died in crashes due to poor engineering. This is not a "humble opinion". This is pure FACT.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wasn't it the Pinto?
Another "fact" gone astray......

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just towed my Bushtec (with 2 new style tires mounted a few days before leaving) over 7,000 miles to Alaska and back. I cruised mostly 60+ mph (as high as 95). I had two flats; not tire failures. One had a pinhole in the tube but I couldn't find anything in the tire. The second flat happened because when I put the tube back in after patching it, the patch actually tore! It was a "Slime" patch kit. Apparently the rubber they use for their patches doesn't stretch very well. Luckily, I had taken one of my old tires and tubes along and just put the old tube in the new tire.

On another note, I removed the old tires and installed the new without ever removing the wheels from the trailer. It was actually pretty easy. I recommend it. That way I didn't have to mess with the wheel bearings at all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
TNART,

Education is a good thing. Allow me to educate you.

Controversy followed the Pinto after 1977 allegations that the Pinto's structural design allowed its fuel tank filler neck to break off[7] and the fuel tank, in rare occasions, to be punctured in a rear-end collision,[7] resulting in deadly fires from spilled fuel.
[edit] Allegations and lawsuits

Critics alleged that the vehicle's lack of reinforcing structure between the rear panel and the tank meant the tank would be pushed forward and punctured by the protruding bolts of the differential[15] — making the car less safe than its contemporaries.
According to a 1977 Mother Jones article, Ford allegedly was aware of the design flaw, refused to pay for a redesign, and decided it would be cheaper to pay off possible lawsuits for resulting deaths. The magazine obtained a cost-benefit analysis that it said Ford had used to compare the cost of an $11 repair against the monetary value of a human life—what became known as the Ford Pinto Memo.[13][16][17]
An example of a Pinto rear-end accident that led to a lawsuit was the 1972 accident that killed Lilly Gray and severely burned 13-year old Richard Grimshaw. The accident resulted in the court case Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co.,[18] in which the California Court of Appeal for the Fourth Appellate District upheld compensatory damages of $2.5 million and punitive damages of $3.5 million against Ford, partially because Ford had been aware of the design defects before production but had decided against changing the design.

Again folks: PLEASE RESEARCH YOUR TRAILER PURCHASE BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!!!!!!!

Notice the article discusses the Pinto's structural design.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Redeye1620,

If I may, I would I'll give you the Executive Summery: I was, am and will continue to discuss safety when it comes to motorcycle trailers. It really does not matter what part or piece fails when catastrophe strikes.

There have been NUMEROUS posts on this trailer forum from actual owners discussing actual parts and pieces that have failed on their trailers. All I am suggesting is that ANYONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT BUYING A PULL BEHIND MOTORCYCLE TRAILER TO ENHANCE THEIR MOTORCYCLING EXPERIENCE NEEDS TO STUDY THESE POSTS VERY CAREFULLY PRIOR TO SPENDING ONE RED CENT ON A TRAILER. There are a number of VERY well designed, engineered and manufactured trailers out there for a consumer to purchase. And there are also a few troublesome, failure prone trailers out there.

Like ANY purchase, diligent research and eliminating sales brochures and overzealous owners as legitimate sources of truthful information are two important factors. While studying the posts here it is quite easy to throw out the chaff (ie worthless material), so to speak, and listen to intelligent discourse.

All in all it's really pretty simple. Buy a trailer that is well made and safe. Just BE SURE the one you buy actually is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Redeye1620,

If I may, I would I'll give you the Executive Summery: I was, am and will continue to discuss safety when it comes to motorcycle trailers. It really does not matter what part or piece fails when catastrophe strikes. :thumbup:
WRONG WRONG WRONG​

Yellow, I don't know what your dog is in this thread is, but my reason for asking is if the tires in question were carlisle, they are a very dangerous tire in any size. Manufactures use them because they are cheap. If BushTec is using them then they are doing a disservice to their customers.

Do a google for carlise tire reviews & read for yourself. ALL of their tires are junk, any size, any type.

YES I do have first hand experience with carlisle tires.

My $00.02....-Rich

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Carlisle_Radial_ST_Utility_Tire

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for getting back with your clarification. It will be interesting to see if the tires (tire) in question are Carlisle. I would be very suprised if they were. No reputable trailer manufacture, (ESPECIALLY) one manufacturing a trailer to be pulled behind a motorcycle, would expose their customers to such an extreme and obvious risk just to make an extra buck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts