GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the mileage you are getting out of your Bushtec tires? I have 17,000 on mine and I'm getting ready for a 4,000 mile trip leaving this week. Looks like I have good tread left but jsut curious about thoughts.
I am very anal about setting correct air pressure for tire camber.

Also, Wheel Bearings... Has anyone had to replace wheel bearings. the bearings on mine seem a little bumpy when I spin them in my fingers.
Looks like there are two on each wheel pressed in with a bushing in the center.

Will appreciate thoughts about anyone's experience.
Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I bought my used 95 Turbo several years ago, I shipped the wheels to Bushtec for new tires and bearings. I then found an old spare tire/wheel that I bought online. The bearings spun smoothly but seemed sluggish (like the grease had dried up). I was surprised how easy they were to change. I tapped the old ones out using a brass punch and then used one of the old ones as a buffer and tapped the new ones back in (gently) with a hammer. The whole bearing change took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot guys. Peace of mind.
I think I'll change the bearings before I leave this week.
Tom

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
50,000 when I changed tires,tubes and bearings. I think the tire PSI is 35 all the time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tommy,
I agree with changing out your bearings. I noticed that my curb side tire was wearing faster than my traffic side. Upon checking the wheel bearings, one of the curb side was starting to go bad (that grinding feeling). I put new bearings in both sides and a new tube and tire on the curb side. This was at 35,000 miles on the trailer. Looks like the traffic side tire will last another 10,000 or so. I can carry the old tire as a spare in case of catastrophic failure as its fairly flat and light without a rim.
I usually inflate the tires to 35 psi.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Dear skibis,

I think they are good for about 225,000 miles and more if you use unborn seal oil every 100 miles. The tires are good for 175,000 miles especially when unit is hauled in a pick up.

:nojoke::twisted::congrats::agree::frown::eek:4::doorag::excited::eek::nojoke::popcorn::superman1::bow::shrug::evil:

Love,

Yellow10

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
From a thread quite a while back. See post #15, and #62 and forward.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218829&highlight=bushtec+wheel+bearings&page=3

The Bushtec wheel should not be differently installed than the front wheel of most motorcycles that use ball bearings.

Basically, the inner races of the bearings bear hard against the spacer between them, made that way by the inboard inner race bearing on the knuckle through which the bolt passes that forms the axle, and the nut bearing hard against the outboard inner race. This forms a very rigid assembly with the inner races of both bearings held firmly in place.

The problem is that many of the wheel hubs are too long and the outer races of the bearings bottom out in the hub well before the inner races touch the spacer between them. When this happens, the bearings will be crushed if the nut is tightened fully.

When the nut is left loose to keep form crushing the bearings, the inner races are left to chuckle and the outboard bearing chuckles on the threads of the bolt that is used for an axle, beating the tops of the threads down and increasing the loose fit.

Also, the bearings are nominally 17 mm bore in the 6203 number series, but available in 5/8" bore. Be sure to get the 5/8" bore. The 17 mm bearings would be loose by about .045"

Some riders my think this is too much trouble, but it will likely end the wheel bearing problems to make this mod to a correct length spacer so that the retaining nut can be torqued up like a motorcycle front wheel axle nut.

Be very sure that the new spacer is made on a lathe and is precise. A sawed spacer will instantly ruin the bearings.

There have been instances where the wheel hub bores are not true or are not good fitting. If this is found, and the fit is only a little off, use something like Locktite Bearing mount on the outer races of the bearing when assembling for the final time. If the outer races of the bearings are loose in the hub, the hub may need to be sleeved. The sleeves need to be concentric if used.

·
Registered
253 Posts
---And there it is Tommy! :rolleyes: Yellow 10's expert knowledge at work.:thumbup: And I bet you don't even own a truck! :joke:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
What is the mileage you are getting out of your Bushtec tires? I have 17,000 on mine and I'm getting ready for a 4,000 mile trip leaving this week. Looks like I have good tread left but jsut curious about thoughts.
I am very anal about setting correct air pressure for tire camber.

Also, Wheel Bearings... Has anyone had to replace wheel bearings. the bearings on mine seem a little bumpy when I spin them in my fingers.
Looks like there are two on each wheel pressed in with a bushing in the center.

Will appreciate thoughts about anyone's experience.
Thanks!
Tom
Been pulling my Bushtec for about 30,000 trouble free miles now

I inspect the trailer when I do the motorcycle, checking nuts and bolts, tires, brakes, fluid levels and anything particular that should be looked at. I do this periodically and also before any long trip

Bearing, tires and everything else are just fine and there is no idication of any issues or problems or even imminent risk of death by inferno

Regarding tire camber...the air pressure, that is the measure of the "psi" is irrelevant...air up the system, load up the trailer, and release until tires are level...this can vary somewhat for rather drastic load changes

I too was very anal about this at first, in part based on what I read on this forum about immenient death if the tires were not perfect, wobbling, oscillations etc.

Fact is in reality, it takes a fairly significant change in load to affect the camber...at least in my experience/observation with my trailer.

An example would be starting the trip with our usual "stuff" loaded then adding cases of Reisling and ice wines as we toured the Finger Lakes of NYS

Given the way I operate my motorcycle and trailer set up, I have never had nor had any indication of sway, bouncing, oscillations, wobbles (from the trailer or the motorcycle) or anything else other than thousands of happy miles aboard what is one of the best set ups in the motorcycling world.

Just my experiences. Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts