GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Bushtec Quantum GL trailer 2 years ago. Curious how many miles I should expect from the tires. Also, not being familiar with the tread design, how do I tell when they are ready to be changed out?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Bought my Bushtec Quantum GL trailer 2 years ago.

Curious how many miles I should expect from the tires.
This all depends on how long the shocks last. I got 25k out of my tires on my bushtec. I probably could have gotten more miles out of them, but on one ride I thought I ran over some oil on the road, cleaned the wheel wells and tires up and kept using the trailer the next year...only to find out the tires wore out and the root cause was because the shocks lost their fluid/oil.

Also, not being familiar with the tread design, how do I tell when they are ready to be changed out?
Mine got real knobby...(again from loss of oil in shocks).
There are tread wear indicators in the treads. Once you get down to those indicators, I would be looking for replacement tires

I purchased new shocks and tires directly from Bushtec.. The tires are 6 ply (not 4 ply like most), and should last a long time now. I have about 600 miles now on the new tires and shocks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was talking to the Bushtec guy at Americade and asked the same question. He said if you have the spare, run it until it blows up. not hard to change by the side of the road if you carry the spare. He said he had a guy in that had 45,000 miles on his tires. I suspect it all has to do with your loading of the trailer and if you set the suspension properly as to the amount of life you get. I have a spare set of tires and tubes in the garage as mine are the original tires from 2003 but I carry the spare rim and tire in the trailer.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you keep the tire pressure at 35 -they should last 50,000 miles - So far I've never had to replace a tire and I've 3 different types of Bushtec's over the last 15 yrs - If they are NOT showing wear - Keep on rolling :yes1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts