GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!!

So I installed a new Bushtec trailer hitch - direct from Bushtec - onto our new '18 Tour this past weekend (it only has 27 miles on it currently - but with this snowy weather I've nothing to do but make it more "mine" with upgrades 馃榿), and the end result seems quite off-center. 馃

Mind you, I've been in aerospace quality control for 20 years and deal in typical tolerances of +/-.00004" so when I see a difference of several tenths of an inch it looks like a gaping chasm to me. 馃檮

Anyone else installed a Bushtec hitch on their '18+ Wing?

If so, is your install centered?

Is this something to be concerned about when it comes to future towing, or is it just me being overly particular about the finished product?

Attached pictures are of center rear view, the gap between the hitch and inner saddlebag on the left side, and the gap between the hitch and the inner saddlebag on the right side.

Full disclosure: I sent an email and pictures to Bushtec yesterday about this and recieved a reply almost immediately - on a Sunday!! They asked me to await a call from their engineering department about this.

I am still awaiting to hear from their engineering department, but thought I would pose the question here since we are a group of like-bike enthusiasts, and others may have 'been here - done this' with this install 馃槉

Thanks for any input!!

TD

Attachments

Registered
That does look about 1/8 inch to the right. I also have BushTech's hitch on my 2018 and did not end up with anything looking off center. One item may clear it up a bit. Loosen everything and then tap it to the left a couple of times and see if it lines up while loose. Then tighten in pairs where both right and left of that point are tight before going to the next point right and left. My theory is the mounts at the frame are shifted right side forward and left side aft in the mounting holes. There is just a tiny bit of play in hole size and that tiny bit of play could be amplified by the time it gets to the receiver. It has been a long while since I installed mine, so I don't remember what order I tightened anything; but I do remember that the wheel was off with everything loosely bolted and positioned. Then tightened everything in pairs as described above, except when I got to the 4 bolts of the center receiver, I removed it and installed the wheel. I had to remove the wheel to get to the lower right forward mounting nut. There was no way I could get any sort of tool on it any other way. Once I got the center back on and tight, it was centered. I have also had my rear tire out several times with the hitch center removed to do it. It always returns center.

Registered
Mine is the exact same as yours. After removing the rear a few times to replace rear tires I did as suggested above and tightened bolts on opposite sides from each other and it helped straighten it up a little but it still slants to the right.
No problem pulling trailer or anything just bugs me that it is not dead center.

Reactions: ssncob

Premium Member
Good morning,

I have a 2018 Goldwing with the Bushtec hitch and trailer. My hitch is centered and solid as can be. Sorry I don't have better pictures. She is asleep for the winter under covers.

I would call Todd at Bushtec: 865.660.9578. He can most likley help but if not he will connect you with someone that can. Great customer service.

Have a good day,

A.J. Dobbs

Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
Discussion Starter #6
Good morning,

I have a 2018 Goldwing with the Bushtec hitch and trailer. My hitch is centered and solid as can be. Sorry I don't have better pictures. She is asleep for the winter under covers.

I would call Todd at Bushtec: 865.660.9578. He can most likley help but if not he will connect you with someone that can. Great customer service.

Have a good day,
View attachment 379641
View attachment 379642

View attachment 379643
View attachment 379644

A.J. Dobbs
Agreed - they definitely have good customer service!! As I noted, I sent off an email Sunday afternoon and heard right back from them 馃槉

I am going to loosen all of the hardware, try re-centering and see if that resolves things.

Btw - your profile view picture with the trailer (the last one posted) is by far my favorite picture of a Wing & trailer set-up.

As we also have a Candy Ardent red Wing, I actually downloaded that picture as a reference (goal? 馃槈) of what we want to end up with - it's a stunning combination 馃槉

TD

Premium Member
I pull a Bushtec Explorer (#4) to match the new Wing. My bike is 2018 and Trailer is 2019. Here is the link:

A.J. Dobbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts