GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to greese the bearing in the wheels but it doesn't seem like they come out, has anyone done this and can give me some information on doing this?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think that you can repack or grease them , they have to be replaced. You might want to call the guy's at Bushtec and verify, they will answer all your questions about them. Good luck. By the way congrats on the 2012 , i'm waiting on mine to come in.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The bearings on a Bushtec are sealed bearings and do not require grease for the life of the bearing. I changed mine mostly for peace of mind along with new tires and tubes at about 50,000. Go to the trailer sub-board for more info.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I also carry a spare replacement bearing including proper tools to replace it, in the trailer.

I keep the bearing in a zip lock baggie to avoid any dirt or debris from getting into it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I also carry a spare replacement bearing including proper tools to replace it, in the trailer.

I keep the bearing in a zip lock baggie to avoid any dirt or debris from getting into it.
I carry 2 new bearings in the trailer all of the time. IF I ever have a bearing issue, I've got a brass punch and a hammer to remove the old ones. I then use a old bearing to tap on with the hammer to seat the new ones. The wheels take 2, one on the front side and one on the rear with a metal bushing between them.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
I need to greese the bearing in the wheels but it doesn't seem like they come out, has anyone done this and can give me some information on doing this?

You only need to pull the wheel off and while holding the wheel place your fingers in the center of the bearing and spin the wheel....the bearings should be smooth turning...if any roughness is felt, it's better to replace the bearings. Then you put a light coat of grease on the axle to protect the axle against corrosion. Slide the wheel back on and put some blue locktight on the threads of the axle and tighten the axle nut.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You only need to pull the wheel off and while holding the wheel place your fingers in the center of the bearing and spin the wheel....the bearings should be smooth turning...if any roughness is felt, it's better to replace the bearings. Then you put a light coat of grease on the axle to protect the axle against corrosion. Slide the wheel back on and put some blue locktight on the threads of the axle and tighten the axle nut.
Yup like Roadie said....very simple and easy to do when/if needed....very quick to do.

Got many thousands of miles on my trailer and all is still well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts