GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,
Have any of you Bushtec tow heads ever had a spindle snap off your Bushtec and if so what year model was it?...

Friend of mine was coming home from the Blue Ridge Mountains over the weekend and was on a hi-speed connector when the spindle on his Turbo II snapped and the wheel went flying. He's an excellent rider and managed to bring his rig to a safe stop. But still, that's some scary crap...

The incident sent me to the garage where I checked both my spindles on my '04 closer than I ever have. They seem OK but the question is, what's not OK? I don't have an x-ray machine to do a proper job so I used the next best thing, a magnifying glass. I've pulled this thing for years with nary a problem but I'm not sure paranoia will let me ever forget that that trailer is behind me again...Any comments, sarcastic jokes and idiotic taunts are welcome....Thanks...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pulling anything behind your motorcycle for years with nary a problem won't do your next of kin any good at all when it kills you. You, of course, do not have and do not need X-Ray vision. Just do some honest research and READ. There have been a number of posts here over the years that have warned people about dangerous under-engineered trailers yet people continue to pull potential death traps. Just spend a few minutes searching this forum.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Guess Yellow10 is now our trailer expert.

Out of the thousands of Bushtec trailers out there how many have had their spindle brake ?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pulling anything behind your motorcycle for years with nary a problem won't do your next of kin any good at all when it kills you. You, of course, do not have and do not need X-Ray vision. Just do some honest research and READ. There have been a number of posts here over the years that have warned people about dangerous under-engineered trailers yet people continue to pull potential death traps. Just spend a few minutes searching this forum.

And they even do it with a car tire on too! :shrug: I'm sure they will all die... sometime!:22yikes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Boy, I REALLY love this board better than the comedy channel. We have one guy has problems with his third grade homonyms and one genuine comedian cracking jokes about death.

It's spelled E D U C A T I O N; Get sum.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's your own fingers that click the link to get to this board. If that bothers you, don't click. (And it only takes one click to exit!)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Boy, I REALLY love this board better than the comedy channel. We have one guy has problems with his third grade homonyms and one genuine comedian cracking jokes about death.

It's spelled E D U C A T I O N; Get sum.
I have plenty! Given your narrow mind, I think you need your horizons expanded! Only the truly uneducated would consider themsleves superior based on a grammatical error! Thanks for blessing us mere peasants with your infinite wisdom!:bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no break

I guess this means that no one has had a spindle break. Either that or no one remembers the question...Pardon me for asking...

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Bad bearings can cause a spindle to break.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Afternoon all,
Have any of you Bushtec tow heads ever had a spindle snap off your Bushtec and if so what year model was it?...

Friend of mine was coming home from the Blue Ridge Mountains over the weekend and was on a hi-speed connector when the spindle on his Turbo II snapped and the wheel went flying. He's an excellent rider and managed to bring his rig to a safe stop. But still, that's some scary crap...

The incident sent me to the garage where I checked both my spindles on my '04 closer than I ever have. They seem OK but the question is, what's not OK? I don't have an x-ray machine to do a proper job so I used the next best thing, a magnifying glass. I've pulled this thing for years with nary a problem but I'm not sure paranoia will let me ever forget that that trailer is behind me again...Any comments, sarcastic jokes and idiotic taunts are welcome....Thanks...
BJ....I will refrain from any scarstic humor and attempt to provide useful information rather than an uneducated bashing of a fine product...
I have never seen, nor heard of the incident you describe, however as to the root cause, I think that poor mainatainence of the bearings may cause a spindle to shear off.

Any product related to motorcycling needs scheduled inspection and maintainence...air in tires, oil in engine, general checking of nuts and bolts and pieces and parts etc.
The Bushtec trailer requires periodic inspection of the wheel bearings, I am admittedly not the most mechanically inclined, but having been shown how to do this, the inspection takes all of about 5 minutes (maybe)....it is part of my annual "once over everything" which I would do on ANY product attached to my motorcycle...ya never know when a bolt or screw may come loose leading to, in a best case loss of a part in a worst case, a crash. Annual inspection takes maybe 25 min which includes a wash and Honda polish waxing/Armorall on the vinyl...hardly enough time for a cigar and a couple beers :lol:

I have pulled my Bushtec trailer many, many happy and trouble free miles for about 5 years now.

People on this forum pull all sorts of trailers behind their motorcycles, from high end expensive seemingly over-engineered customs to home built units cobbled together from a general small trailer frame and bolt on utility box....all will work just fine and are safe provided they are maintained properly.

The lack of inspection can result in a tire failure or the separation of a wheel from a motorcycle, any trailer, cars, trucks etc

Again, my guess is a bad bearing that led to the failure. Bearing replacement is inexpensive and a simple task. Although I have yet to need a bearing replaced on my trailer.

Years ago I had the rear sproket changed on my Kawasaki Vulcan by a "certified" mechanic...I kept checking the air pressure ni the tire because it felt wobbly etc....closer inspection revealed the idiot mechanic never properly tightened the nuts securing the tire to the frame!! Since then I trust no one.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
546 Posts
trailer wheels coming off

Quite a few years ago I was going down an expressway and there was a Goldwing with pop up camper with wheel and part of stubby swingarm broke off, he didn't crash. I have a Bushtec and while in Florida spring before last I was in a parking lot and a guy in a truck told me my right trailer wheel was wobbling ( less than 15000 on trailer) I got it fixed and check it way more often. When I camp and trailer is light I tip it up and set it on my knee and check for slop in the wheel. Often.

·
Registered
377 Posts
laj48,

what was the problem with the wheel that you got fixed on the Bushtec ??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks-problem solved

Turned out that there was a recall on the Bushtec in the nineties. The problem was the spindle and it was replaced by a hex head type spindle. So if you take your wheel off, look behind the bracket where the spindle pushes through and find the hex head welded there then you have the upgraded spindle...Somehow my friend's trailer got lost in the shuffle or the original buyer never took the time to answer the re-call and thus the failure....

Thanks for all the feedback....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Explaination to Mack on Bushtec wheel

My wheel bearing on the right side went bad (probably less than 15000 miles) Went to campground and took it off. Spacer was scored up but still useable. A guy in the campground had lots of tools (used to own auto repair in Wisconsin) Got bearings from auto parts store. Seized bearing wore the hole in the wheel so bearing no longer would press in. Guy had center punch and hammer and made several dings in the wheel so bearing pressed in but not that tightly. Glued bearing in with JB weld. Went to Key West and coming home stopped at Bushtec. They sold me a used wheel with new bearings for $100.00. Said only way to fix old wheel was to machine larger hole for bearing and press in sleeve to get it down to original size. Bought spare bearings bought socket just large enough to tap new bearings in and got a 17mm tube to hold spacer in place while tapping in new bearings. Can fix it on the road. When trailer is almost empty I tilt it up and squat down and set trailer on my knee allowing inspection of bearings. Do it quite often.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Interesting timing. I too had a spindle break off recently on my 1990 Turbo. It has the hex head (5/8 bolt) spindles and the shocks with eyes on each end. The tube that the bolt/spindle goes through is what broke, actually split, and had been cracked for some time as most of the broken metal was rusty and about 3/4 of an inch was the fresh break. No visual inspection would have found this prior to the final break as the split was hidden by the welding bead. I have thought about replacing the 5/8" bolt spindles with 14mm spindles so that standard bearings can be used. But that means that the next owners may have problems if they order bearings from Bushtec.

http://sweethomefromchicago.blogspot.com/2011/05/woolaroc-loss-of-power-lots-of-smoke.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts