GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new set of tires installed on my Turbo II. The profile has been changed from a flat-top to a rounded profile.

My question is; Those of you that have put some miles on the new style tires, do you feel the mileage on the new tread will be more or less than the old style?

Keep it safe.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I just pulled mine about 2000 miles. They still look new, but they should.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Tires are the reason I won't buy a Bushtech trailer. I want a tire I can go to a local Wal-Mart/tire store and buy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tires are the reason I won't buy a Bushtech trailer. I want a tire I can go to a local Wal-Mart/tire store and buy.
To each his own, but what's the chance that you'd need to do that on a trip? I carry a spare wheel/tire in my Bushtec which I can change in about 5 minutes on the road. Although I don't, you could carry a spare Bushtec tube in the trailer and repair a flat that way assuming the tire carcass wasn't damaged. Unless someone just chooses not to carry a spare, I can't see the value of choosing a trailer based on the ready availability of a spare tire. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I do not carry a spare tire for my motorcycle
I do not carry a spare for my trailer

My cars and truck have spares from the factory, have never in my lifetime ever needed to use a spare tire.

I drive/ride all my vehicles many, many thousands of miles every year

Not sure where some folks are riding that they seemingly need to "worry" about getting a flat :shrug:

·
Registered
880 Posts
... to a rounded profile.
My question is; Those of you that have put some miles on the new style tires, do you feel the mileage on the new tread will be more or less than the old style?
Keep it safe.
I have those type of tires on my '02 Turbo II that I purchased from a fellow GL1800Riders member and no issues of any kind for two years. The original owner used to run it back and forth from Florida to Wahington state. In fact if you check the current tires offered by Bushtec they have a round profile.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Getting back to the original intent of this post, I would think that the rounded profile would work better on the Bushtec, considering the variance in camber through it's suspension travel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put about 35,000 miles on my rounded profile tires before I had to replace them. The key is making sure you always have 36 lbs air pressure. Less than that and they will heat up and wear significantly faster. For what it is worth, I also carry a spare mounted wheel in the trailer. Doesn't consume much space and provides a lot of peace of mind.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This is of interest to me. I have an old Eagle trailer that has 16" cast wheels, and I use the BushTec tires since they are of good quality ... 6 ply, basically a run flat kind of tire on my trailer. The set I have on now are the old style, flat across the tread. I was not aware that there is a new style that has a rounded profile.

My trailer has no suspension. It is a very light cargo trailer by comparison to most, with a rectangular shaped fiberglass box. It's empty weight is about a hundred pounds. It is no trouble at all for me to lift the trailer and move it while it is attached to the bike, even when it's loaded the way we normally load it. I have never had any issues with the fact that there is no suspension. The trailer probably bounces some, but because of it's light weight, most any suspension would not be exercised much by the trailer and it's load. The large wheels/tires roll smoothly and are not affected by rough spots nearly as much as are smaller tires, especially the eight inchers mounted on an axle with a leaf spring that's pretty stiff for the load they carry.

I normally run about 28 pounds in my tires. If I were to load it heavily for some reason, I'd bump up the pressure to 32, but 28 seems to work well for the way we use it. The tires have lasted very well, but I've been thinking of getting another set to have on standby at this point. I'm curious as to how the rounded profile tires will perform as compared to what I'm used to. My trailer pulls straight as a string. It has a different sort of swivel hitch that mounts high, because the trailer was designed originally to tow behind a Virago and attach above the license plate since that bike had no structure to attach a hitch in the normal place. I built a stinger for my receiver hitch that has an upright bar to reach up to where the hitch attaches so as to keep the trailer level. The stinger is basically an "L" shape, with the short part of the "L" fitting in the receiver and the tall portion going vertical to the hitch attachment. With this stinger in place, the bottom trunk door on my RoadSmith (and also on the CSC 1500 before it) will only open about 1/3 to half way, which has not been a problem for us in most cases.

Because of the flat profile on my present tires, most folks think they look like they are worn out, mostly I think because there is and never was any real tread grooves in the center inch or so of the tread. Being 6 ply and carrying little load, I suspect these tires would run till you could see the first layer of cord and still be safe to carry their load. I don't intend to do that, but I think they would do it. I hate to store new spare tires for a long time, since age is also an enemy of tires. So I'm up in the air about getting a new set. I'd sure like to have another set of the 6 ply tires though, so I probably will.

I'm just typing out loud here as I think about this. I appreciate knowing that the tires now available are of a different profile. I'd have been very surprised if I found that after ordering and receiving a set. I'm glad to hear of 35,000 miles on a set of the rounded ones. I'm curious, CycleDan, about the 36 psi you run in yours ... is that what's recommended in them? What is the maximum tire pressure listed on the sidewalls of the rounded profile tires? I'll be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with these tires ... Thanks for any comments anyone may have about them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rounded tire suspension match

Hey Buck,
That rounded tire with the Bushtec suspension travel theory may be a sound one don't you think...???

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
What size tire does Bushtec use? I gather that it is not a widely available size but would imagine that there are other sources.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I found an answer to my own question. <g> 3:00 x 16" tires are available from more than one source. The Size fit the Honda Dream among others.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ben,

I haven't looked in a while, but yes, you can get the size other places. What I've only found at BushTec is a tire that size that is 6 ply. The BushTec tire is a much more substantial tire than most of the others I've found. It is basically a run flat tire on my lightweight trailer. I've not found another tire in this size of this quality.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts