GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a new '05 Quantum GL painted CBC for $3000. Is this a good price? I read where when you order a new trailer from Bushtec that you send your fuel door to them for color matching, I wonder if this will match mine. I'm still waiting on the details of the options, so time will tell.
No one has to preach to me about the quality of the product or the company as I have yet to read a negative post about either one. Pretty amazing in itself.
How much trouble is it adjusting the suspension?
If you developed a leak, could you still pull it or would the tires rub the body? I've never even been able to look at one of these up close so I'm pretty much in the dark.
Also, do they use a ball hitch or a pin?

·
Registered
192 Posts
That sounds like a very good deal to me . An '05 Quantum GL should be priced around $3695. As for the paint match, Bushtec uses the factory colors so as long as your bike and the trailer are the same year (or the same color if it was offered in more than one year), I suspect it will match very well. My '05 metallic gray was a perfect match and I didn't send them anything.

Adjusting the pressure isn't any big deal and the tires don't rub...at least mine don't!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Especially since you wont need to repaint to match. I doubt the difference in color shade will be noticeable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
gbegoon said:
I have an opportunity to buy a new '05 Quantum GL painted CBC for $3000. Is this a good price? I read where when you order a new trailer from Bushtec that you send your fuel door to them for color matching, I wonder if this will match mine. I'm still waiting on the details of the options, so time will tell.
No one has to preach to me about the quality of the product or the company as I have yet to read a negative post about either one. Pretty amazing in itself.
If you developed a leak, could you still pull it or would the tires rub the body? I've never even been able to look at one of these up close so I'm pretty much in the dark.
I sprung for the remote operated air compressor from Lewis at E/C to adjust the suspension. Sure makes it easy pickings. Just push a button a few times when needed.

Tires are 6 ply so you will be able to keep going at slow speed without a major catastrophe. At least far enough where you can find assistance.

Hookup is with a pin and bushtec uses a heim joint.

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
Bushtec has been around a long time. They are the best,you will never meet an unhappy Bushtec owner. Suspension adjustment takes 30 seconds.

·
Registered
828 Posts
After you have used the trailer on a few trips you can pretty close judge the amount of air needed by how much weight you are loading in the trailer. Its not hard.

As far as the remote compressor, I would like to have one but its alot of money.

In reference to the wheels rubbing if the the system lost air, I think that would be a problem and the wheels would rub. But I havent heard of this happening.

N Ga Rider

2005 Turbo...............very happy owner

·
Registered
700 Posts
DASimle said:
Tires are 6 ply so you will be able to keep going at slow speed without a major catastrophe. At least far enough where you can find assistance.
The Bushtec Heavy Duty 6 ply tire will support the trailer, loaded, at road speed without air in the tire. I had a customer who hit a 18-wheeler jack pad in Chattannooga last fall and broke an 8" section out of the wheel. He called me for the closest dealer. He was prepared to drop the trailer and ride to the dealer for a replacement wheel.

I suggested he tow the trailer and obviously he was hesistant. I convinced him to try. 2 hours later he called me from the dealer (where he was headed in the first place) and said "John, I will never doubt anything you tell me about a Bushtec!" He towed more than 100 miles at speeds above 65mph without any handling issues and was not inconvienced in any way.

N Ga Rider said:
In reference to the wheels rubbing if the the system lost air, I think that would be a problem and the wheels would rub. But I havent heard of this happening.

N Ga Rider

2005 Turbo...............very happy owner
All recent production Bushtec models have suspension limits/stops built into the A-arm & sway bar assembly to minimize or eliminate the possiblity of the wheels getting into the body. In a catastrophic failure (virtualy non-existant) there is a very simply way to lock the suspension in a neutral position which assures satisfactory performance until repair can be effected.

·
Registered
261 Posts
gbegoon said:
1) Seems like a VERY reasonable price.

2) To adjust the suspension you disconnect the trailer.
a) You walk the trailer a little bit to watch how the wheels tilt
(In or out). You use a hand pump and add or release air
till the wheels 90 degrees to the road.
b) You hook the trailer up physically and electrically,
and connect the safety chain.
c) This takes all of 5 minutes to do

3) Never had a leak in the air hoses. I suspect that it could be a bad idea if one of the wheels (or both) were tilted in at the bottom and you had a full load. BUT for this to happen you'd have to have air pressure. IF you could find the air leak I bet some super glue would plug it till yo could get some more air line. BUT I DEFER to bushtec for that answer.

4) As far as the hitches go you have a choice of either ball or pin. I have the pin,

HTH

FF

·
Registered
578 Posts
John;

You stated; " there is a very simply way to lock the suspension in a neutral position which assures satisfactory performance until repair can be effected."

Please describe that procedure.

Thanx

·
Registered
700 Posts
wrenched said:
John;

You stated; " there is a very simply way to lock the suspension in a neutral position which assures satisfactory performance until repair can be effected."

Please describe that procedure.

Thanx
In a catastrophic air failure, use 2 peices of 2x2 about 4" long (one on each "A" frame) wire tied to the top side of the "A" arm and aligned with the suspension stop running fron to back. This maintains the "A" arm vertical to the pavement, maintains performance and allows you to continue without worry.

Over the years I have had leaf springs fail where I had to "lock" the suspension with a peice of pipe ("borrowed" from a plumbers scrap pile). I have had coil springs fatigue or fail and replaced it with a peice of steel (found in a junk pile along side the road). I once had a torsion axle back out of it's housing so I beat it back in, had a service station drill a hole in the tube and put in a screw to hold it in place. All termporary fixes, but effective repairs on the road with virtually every type of trailer and suspension made. Sometimes it is better not to think too hard, LOL. Just geter done!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks John, thats good info to know if I ever needed it. But I trust your suspension, so Ill find some 2x2's laying around if I ever need them, but dont think I will.

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
109 Posts
In a catastrophic air failure, use 2 peices of 2x2 about 4" long (one on each "A" frame) wire tied to the top side of the "A" arm and aligned with the suspension stop running fron to back. This maintains the "A" arm vertical to the pavement, maintains performance and allows you to continue without worry.
Good to know. After running over a small piece of road gator I had a complete air failure. I really didn't realize it until I stoped for fuel. Found out that it hit the air line where it fits into the shock breaking the air line. Fortunately, I was able to take off the plastic nut on the shock, clip about 2" off the line and put it back together. Held air, without leak for the remainder of a 2000 mile trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts