GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used Turbo (1994) and will refurb it over the winter, a couple of questions:

1) how do you remove the wheels, it has a knock-off looking hub?
2) it has the original air shocks, if they still hold pressure should they be changed?
3) what else should be done before the '07 travel season starts?

Replacing the tires are already on the list as well as changing the wheel bearings.

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I believe that the "Center Cap" has an allen screw in it.

Best way to change the tires and bearings, is to arrange with Bushtec, and have them do it for you.

Bushtec is now running a Pre Winter sale on accessories etc. Might want to take a look.

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The center cap should have three allen head screws. Remove them and loosen the large nut to loosen the wheel. The bearings can be checked by spinning the wheel while holding the center of the bearing. If it is smooth with no grinding or noise you should be good to go. Fasten the wheel back on with a locknut and a small dab of loc-tite(not red). I would call Bushtec and ask for an owner's manual. They are great to deal with and will lend whatever assistance you need. You have purchased a fine trailer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My hub or "knock-off look alike", has a plastic center cover with some kind of logo, no screws of any kind are visable. Does the knock-off actually spin off like a true knock-off maybe?

Kevin

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Kevin,

Shoot either John or Andy @ Bushtec an Email. They will get back to you. Excellent sponsor/Vendor/Friend

Bulldog

·
Registered
115 Posts
You may have the old style spinner caps. They have no allen screws. Check and see if you see any screws with allen heads. if they don't and have three "spinner" on them you can gently pry or pull them off. Reinstall with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You can down load the manual from Bushtec web site

·
Registered
375 Posts
Once you get the wheels off, you can package them for UPS and send as they are to Bushtec. They will replace the tires and tubes, and if necessary change the bearings, then return then to you. Easy!

They are truely a great outfit. The best!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey George, you were right I do have the old style three wing axle/hub cover. I was able to gently pull it off and found the axle nut.

Thank-you to all and yes I am planning to send them off to Bushtec for new tires and bearings.

Cheers, Kevin

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Bushtec is the best> If your bearings are OK,they will tell you. I dropped by with a new trailer while in TN to tour their plant and they touched up a scratch caused by me at no charge.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kevin:

When you send in your tires ask Bushtec if they have any old style covers laying aorund. You can buy them cheaply if they do. They do come off once in a while especially if not reinstalled exactly straight and even. I would also suggest ordering some super lube if you can't find it locally.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kevin:

If there is nothing wrong with them I would leave them alone. Give John Preston a call at Bushtec. They are very helpful and pretty straight shooters and will give you sound advise on that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts