GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 1993 Bushtec Turbo in the morning. We have an agreed upon deal worked out pending my inspection.
This is a one owner dealer maintained trailer, but it is 16 years old. I am told low mileage with the original tires, that will be replaced.
I have a few questions for those of you in the know about Bushtec trailers.
Anything special I need to check out?
I know to look for play in the wheels. Anything else?
Are Parts still available?
What is the major difference between the Turbo and Turbo +2?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I am going to look at a 1993 Bushtec Turbo in the morning. We have an agreed upon deal worked out pending my inspection.
This is a one owner dealer maintained trailer, but it is 16 years old. I am told low mileage with the original tires, that will be replaced.
I have a few questions for those of you in the know about Bushtec trailers.
Anything special I need to check out?
I know to look for play in the wheels. Anything else?
Are Parts still available?
What is the major difference between the Turbo and Turbo +2?
I'm still pulling my '94 Bushtec Turbo. You should look at any points of wear -- The heim fitting up front. If it has not been properly lubricated, the ball inside the fitting will be too loose. You can get a replacement from Bushtec. Check the wheel bearings. Remove each wheel and spin the bearing with your finger. It should spin smoothly. If you hear a clicking noise or feel a small jump, they will need to be replaced. Get underneath and check the suspension. The moving parts should not have excessive wear on them. You are right to replace the tires.

When I bought my 1800 in '04, I had the body painted. It involved a complete tear down and all the parts I needed were available from Bushtec. At that time I also replaced the tongue with a new, longer one. It does pull better and when backing there is less chance of damaging the bike in a tight turn.

There was a frame recall on some of the early Turbos. Contact Bushtec with the VIN number to see if it has been done or needs to be done.

The manual is available on line at Bushtec

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a 93 Turbo also. The major differences between the Turbo and the Turbo II is the tongue on the Turbo is shorter. I heard Bushtec went to a longer tongue on the Turbo II because the shorter tongue tended to sway the trailer and the longer one made it more stable.

The big difference is the shock mounts. If you still have the SW shocks on the trailer, you will need to do some re-engineering to get the new style shock on the old trailer. Make sure they don't leak. Progressive bought SW and your old air shocks haven't been manufactured since the mid 80's. Mine wouldn't hold air below 55 degrees, so be sure to check yours when in the cold. Remember the seals are about 25 years old now. I sent mine to Progressive to be rebuilt and they do not have any parts for them because they have been out of production sooo long. I did some checking and air shocks from a 63 Corvette will probably fit as they are close to the same. Eye on top and Clevis on bottom. I decided to get the new style Bushtec shocks because I figured the dampening wouldn't be correct on the Corvette ones. I had a welding shop cut off the old mounts and weld in some new ones for the different style bottom mount. (You can do this if you can weld, I can't.)

If you want to PM me, I can e-mail you some pictures of what I did and my phone number if you have any questions about the top and bottom modifications I did.

My tongue was shot, so I ordered a new longer one and the trailer now pulls great with the new tongue and shocks. It still swayed a little with the new tongue, but when I installed the new shocks, it's as straight as an arrow up to triple digit speeds.

You can send the frame to Bushtec with a lot of money and they will modify it for you.

Rick

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, but my deal fell through! I can't believe some people. We agreed on a price, set a time and date. I told him what time I was leaving Little Rock, and that it was a four and a half hour drive to Vicksburg. I told him to expect me about 12:00 to 12:30. He wanted me to call him again when I got to Vicksburg for directions to his dealership. He never answered his phone. After several voice mails and waiting around for two hours, I headed home.

He finally called when I was almost home, said he must of turned his phone on vibrate. Said he would Knock $100.00 of the price if I would come back. I told him to "Kiss my A$$". Wasted a whole day driving almost 500 miles round trip and about $75.00 in gas. Hard to believe this guy owns a Honda car dealership Vicksburg, MS. Hope he treats his customers better or he won't last long.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but my deal fell through! I can't believe some people. We agreed on a price, set a time and date. I told him what time I was leaving Little Rock, and that it was a four and a half hour drive to Vicksburg. I told him to expect me about 12:00 to 12:30. He wanted me to call him again when I got to Vicksburg for directions to his dealership. He never answered his phone. After several voice mails and waiting around for two hours, I headed home.

He finally called when I was almost home, said he must of turned his phone on vibrate. Said he would Knock $100.00 of the price if I would come back. I told him to "Kiss my A$$". Wasted a whole day driving almost 500 miles round trip and about $75.00 in gas. Hard to believe this guy owns a Honda car dealership Vicksburg, MS. Hope he treats his customers better or he won't last long.

If you got a good price on the trailer, it might be worth going back. These things aren't cheap.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you got a good price on the trailer, it might be worth going back. These things aren't cheap.
Not a bad deal, but not a great deal. Besides I'm stubborn, it's not about the money now, it's a matter of principal. I would never do anybody like that, and I won't be done that way. He can sell it to someone else. I'll find another.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's the same bad attitude I have!!! Must be a "Central-Arkansas" thang!! I don't blame you at all, I don't do waiting worth a darn and I don't like being stood up!! Good on ya!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about bad attitude, I just figure there are other trailers out there, and I work too hard for my money to give to someone who doesn't even have enough respect to do what he says he is going to do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
A man is only as good as his word, I wouldn't take it now if he gave it away. You did the right thing, good luck on the trailer hunt. I bought a Hannigan trailer back in November, I rode to Dallas Texas from Kentucky to get it, the gentleman who had the trailer was a nice man (member of this board) and the deal went as planned. 1,100 miles there, turned around and rode 1,100 mailes back home, man was I tired, but I got a good deal on a great trailer, that BTW was manufactured in Kentucky to start with. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts