GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you out there who have installed the Bushtec V2 hitch. I have a used V2 I bought from another member of this forum. As was expected, some of the hardware is missing. Not really a problem as it all seems to be standard off the self type stuff only grade 8.

There are 2 missing parts that are a problem. The parts list calls for 2, 3/8 spacers. It doesn't state the length or even show a picture. Would any of you out there in Wing land have any information about these spacers?

Joe in Modesto

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Any of you out there who have installed the Bushtec V2 hitch. I have a used V2 I bought from another member of this forum. As was expected, some of the hardware is missing. Not really a problem as it all seems to be standard off the self type stuff only grade 8.

There are 2 missing parts that are a problem. The parts list calls for 2, 3/8 spacers. It doesn't state the length or even show a picture. Would any of you out there in Wing land have any information about these spacers?

Joe in Modesto
complete install "how to" here:
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res8tr14/bushtecv2trailerhitch/index.html

spacers are shown here:
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res8tr14/bushtecv2trailerhitch/id13.html
.. the spacers (black in the picture) just hold the Bushtec "struts" away from the frame
(so they pull straight down instead of off to the side)..

Dennis

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dennis, I looked at that site, but did not know that those were the spacers refered to in the instructions. Looking at the picture, it would seem that they are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long. I guess that I can just install everything else and see what length is needed.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
479 Posts
Arent the spacers on one of the bolts Joe?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey John,
No there was nothing resembling spacers. It is not a problem, I just need to know the length to cobble up a substitute.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, from the picture and a visual observation of my wing, I see no reason why I can't just use a stack of washers until the spacing looks right. I'll take a trip to Lowe's in the morning. I wanted to replace all the Nylock nuts anyway (they're not supposed to be used more than once).

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ok, from the picture and a visual observation of my wing, I see no reason why I can't just use a stack of washers until the spacing looks right. I'll take a trip to Lowe's in the morning. I wanted to replace all the Nylock nuts anyway (they're not supposed to be used more than once).

Joe in Modesto
Thats what I was going to suggest, I can't undestaand what happened to them.
Sorry for any inconvieniance.

John

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey John,
I don't feel inconvenienced. When you buy something used and sight unseen, you must expect a few stumbles. If I had wanted a perfect installation, I would have purchased a new hitch and have it installed. I still feel I got a good deal on my hitch.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey John,
I don't feel inconvenienced. When you buy something used and sight unseen, you must expect a few stumbles. If I had wanted a perfect installation, I would have purchased a new hitch and have it installed. I still feel I got a good deal on my hitch.

Joe in Modesto
Ok Joe, does it look like everything else is going on OK?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning John,

So far things are going ok. I just got up and after breakfast will see what time Lowe's opens to get the rest of hardware. I need to finish up on the mechanical side so I can ride to work tomorrow.' I still need to order the wiring harness (from Electrical Connection) and make up an adapter to connect to my wife's trailer. It has a 9 pin round plug. It is kind of unusual. I found a receptacle online from a company called wirecare.com. I think it was called a "Deutsch" (sp) type connector. Others of you wingers might want to take a look at this site. It has lots of stuff that could be of use to us when working on the electrical side of things. I hope to be finished by noon. We have a "4th" get together to attend later.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its done!

Well, at least the mechanical part. For the most part it went pretty well. The web site posted above was a lot of help. Surprisingly, I had absolutely no problem getting the seat bolts back in. I was really worried about that part.

Thanks to all who provided help, information, or encouragement.

Joe in Modesto

1 - 12 of 12 Posts