GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a used V2 from another member of this forum. For any of you who have installed your own hitch, how much time should I allot for the install (doing it myself of course). This is just the mechanical part, not the wiring.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Should be able to do it in an hour or hour and half. It's just 4 arms and a center piece. Pull seat and rear center section of fender and have bike on centerstand.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It took me more like 3-4 hours as I struggled with those tasks that should be easy but are not (e.g., wiring, tightening the lower arm nuts under the riders pegs, reading and re-reading directions, lining up the screws to reinstall the seat, etc.) There are installation photos with directions at:

http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res8tr14/bushtecv2trailerhitch/index.html

The bushtec written instructions are not too good.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I helped a guy with the install and we took our time and it took about 2 hours give or take. I think the '05's and older have to have a nut ground down. I know his did and it was an '05 that was the hardest part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did mine a few weeks ago. Best advice is just follow the instructions and take your time. As long as you do the installation properly, time should not be a factor. Best of luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It took me more like 3-4 hours as I struggled with those tasks that should be easy but are not (e.g., wiring, tightening the lower arm nuts under the riders pegs, reading and re-reading directions, lining up the screws to reinstall the seat, etc.) There are installation photos with directions at:

http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res8tr14/bushtecv2trailerhitch/index.html

The bushtec written instructions are not too good.
+1....took me at least 3 hours but i don't have a lift and did a lot of the work laying on my back. Don't forget to put loctite on the forward bottom bolts.

My 2007 level 3 had some wiring harnesses i had to move over and re-cable tie to the frame in order to get the upper arms in.

For me at least.....I had to read parts of the instructions more than once to be sure i was doing it right.

Take your time and be patient and all will be fine!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feed-back and encouragement. I don't think I will have a problem with the install, but was mainly worried about time needed. I am currently working 7 days a week, and 10 hour days. My wing is my transportation for a while and I did not want to get in a situation where the wing could not be ridden to work next day after starting install.

Joe in Modesto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts