GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While spending hours riding across the great plains this last week I had time to contemplate and reflect. During that quality time inside my (mostly empty) head, I happened to glance over at my large Butler cup (which I use to stay moist and tender on the inside while the hot wind and sun turns me a crispy golden brown on the outside).

It occurred to me that a Butler cup might not be such a good idea on a Wing equipped with an airbag. If one were to need the airbag (frontal collsion) that Butler might come zinging back toward the rider at warp 9! Has anyone else thought of this? Come to any conclusions?

Come to think of it, in a frontal crash without the airbag, breaking that Butler mount with your chest might prove interesting too! Does anybody know of a rider that plowed through a Butler mount? If so, what was the perceived effect of having that great big cup and mount in front of the driver?

Just pondering. I like the idea of an airbag but what about the stuff some people hang on the handlebars?

·
Registered
768 Posts
The air bag is mounted right at the top of the fuel tank. I think it would protect us from they myriad of things mounted on the handlebar JMHO.

Mike
03ILB

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
As long as your Butler cup and mount are forward of where the radio controls were on the NON airbag models you should be ok. That would put the airbag between you and the cup/mount. But you do bring up a good point, anything added in the handlebar and dash area can become a potential source of injury in a frontal impact. Just something (more) to think about.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about just the mug, not with GPS, mugs, xm radios, Iods, radar detectors,and a number of other things mounted there, shoot, just the handle bars themselves would do you in,or and the windshield cutting you up.....

:lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts