GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mark your calendar!

Pismo Beach, Monarch Butterfly ride.

Thousands of butterflies winter in Pismo Beach. About the day of the ride, they fly away. Thousands of butterflies are flying around a couple acre park. It is pretty cool.

Monarch Butterflies of Pismo Beach, California

We will be leaving 8082 Walker ave. La Palma Ca. 7:30am and/meeting at Flying J at the 5 fwy and Frazier park at 9am. Then heading west to 166 highway to Pismo Beach.
Pack a lunch or get a Jersey Mike's sandwich in Pismo Beach. We will then eat lunch in the Monarch Butterfly park and watch the butterflies. Then head back via 101 and PCH. Round trip is 422 miles.

Love to have as many of you go as can.

Somebody from No. Cal and or Central Cal, should lead a ride south to same location and time.....

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm game, depending on the day of the week. Also have a couple others who may join in.
Have you looked at I-5 to Hwy 126 West, Then Hwy 150 to Ojai and then Hwy 130 to Hwy 166?
Quite a git more scenic tho a few more miles.
:capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That sounds fun! Anyone mind if I bring a group from the east? Might just be my wife and I but we’re interested. ?

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
BE COMING OUT THAT WAY FOR PRESIDENT RIDE IN IN DEATH VALLEY BUT NOT TILL LIKE 12 TH . YOU HAVE ANY INSIDE CLOUT WITH THE BUTTERFLIES ?? MAYBE BRIBE THEM WITH BIG JUG OF NECTAR :surprise::laugh: HOW LONG DO THEY HANG OUT OR IS IT JUST QUICK STOP AND THEY MOVE ON ? WHEN THEY LEAVE ANY IDEA WHERE THEY HEAD ( GO ) ?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
BE COMING OUT THAT WAY FOR PRESIDENT RIDE IN IN DEATH VALLEY BUT NOT TILL LIKE 12 TH . YOU HAVE ANY INSIDE CLOUT WITH THE BUTTERFLIES ?? MAYBE BRIBE THEM WITH BIG JUG OF NECTAR :surprise::laugh: HOW LONG DO THEY HANG OUT OR IS IT JUST QUICK STOP AND THEY MOVE ON ? WHEN THEY LEAVE ANY IDEA WHERE THEY HEAD ( GO ) ?
UJ, some good info here https://www.experiencepismobeach.com/beach-and-outdoors/monarch-butterflies/monarch-grove/

The butterfly count is decreasing every year :crying:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, my wife just informed me that we have a wedding that day..... So, I will not be leading that day.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to do the same ride the following Saturday. However, the "Butterfly festival" at the park is Feb 1st. Chances are there will be some butterflies on the 8th. If anybody wants to go with me on the 8th, meet same place and time.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Dang...we scheduled the 1st to be out there before I saw your post! We will have to keep with it since we can't make the 8th now.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
So, how many are committed for the 1st?
I could do the 1st or the 8th, but probably not both.
Jim, on the 1st, we could do Lake Hughes and perhaps Hwy 33 to the Pistacio farm if it's not snowed in on the top of the grade.

Corventure vae

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
So, how many are committed for the 1st?
I could do the 1st or the 8th, but probably not both.
Jim, on the 1st, we could do Lake Hughes and perhaps Hwy 33 to the Pistacio farm if it's not snowed in on the top of the grade.

Corventure vae
We're good with whatever. Just want to RIDE! It just has to be that (long) weekend. You know our lives...:wink2:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
For those who can't make the Feb 8 Butterfly ride.
I will be leading a ride on this Saturday the 1st, the original date.
Destination is still open depending on participants choice.
Don't want to take away from the butterfly ride to Pismo. But could go there.
Could ride up to Santa Ynez or out to Lake Hughes for a burger at the Rock Inn.
Lets say meet at the McDonalds in Fillmore 9:00 Saturday Morning?
Chime in.......
Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We'll be riding to Camarillo Thursday and riding around the area Friday. We can do the Saturday Fillmore meet up. Candi was looking forward to the Pismo Beach destination. I was also thinking we could head up to Frazier Park and out to 166 via Pine Mountain Club. It's a great route (I know you've done it!). Then 166 to Santa Maria and up to Pismo. Just a suggestion...?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Be careful with that Ear Wax!!! Say what? So glad to see that pop up... NOT!
LOL

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Current Monarch Grove Counts
Current Count for 2019 season:December 30, 2019 = 3,000. High Count for this season: November 27, 2019 = 6.735

• Last Count from 2018 season: January 2019 = 3,077.
  • Last Count from 2017 season: December 2017 = 12,075.
  • Last count from 2016 season on February 5, 2016 = 28,000+
  • Sadly declining count every year :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts