GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i buy a 2001 loaded with accessories and 13,000 milies for $12,500 or buy a new 2003 for $15,000? The 2001 has not had the overheating issue addressed. What is the "frame weld" issue? Should I be concerned about this too on the 2001? Thanks! Dan

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Dan if you like the 01 Wing and you find nothing visually wrong with it, the color is right and each of the accessories are ones that you would be happy with as well, there is not a single reason to walk away from the 2001 Wing. They are virtually the same bike with a few part number changes and different tire brands. As far a mileage goes 13,000 miles is nothing so don't worry about that either.

Make the best deal on either bike and you are a winner either way. You may wish to get the extended warranty on the 01 if you can so check on that right away.

DaleC

P.S. A dealer can tell you with the VIN number exactly what has been done that is input on the Honda computer database.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd go with the 01, just because you will save 3000 just on the accessories. the bike is mostly the same, as stated above. I think the better deal would be the 01. and this is just my opinion. Joy

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Any warranty coverage on the 2001 may already be gone (or getting ready to expire). It all depends on when the bike was purchased by the original owner.

To extend the warranty for another 4 years (if it isn't already expired), will run you around $500... depending on where you purchase the warranty.

Of course, the 2003 will come with a 36 month/unlimited miles warranty.

G

·
I would no doubt get the 2001 because they are the best.
I not only say that because I own one but because it is true.
And if it's Illusion Red - the simple sight of that should bring a tear to the eye. :shock:
How could one disagree with that logic?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i would by all means get the new 2003.

however i am very sure that you can do better than the 15000 number.

if you rally are pointed toward one dealer, at least look for net prices and take it in for a bargaining tool. look on cucletrader.com for adds selling holdovers. its easy to get a solid quote via email. drag that into the dealer and pry his number down some.

loren

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would check the original purchase date. If it's enough less than three years ago that you can still get the extended warrenty paper work through in time, I would buy the 01.
I bought a new 02, then didn't keep it ordering a ST 1300 instead. Last fall when I decided the wing was more what I needed/wanted I was faced with the same dilema that you are.
I traded for an 01 with over $3500 in accesories, most of which I would have put on a new one. With the 4 year extended warrenty, no frame issure, and the color I wanted I decided it was a no brainer.
Oh, by the way the one I got had 48k on it, and is in better shape than if I would have put on 10-15 K.
I love it.
Either way you'll be a happy camper, er I mean rider. :D

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I agree with Joy I would go for the 01. It's friday and I 'm just agreeing with everybody ! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts