GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. Final thread before I make my purchase. 3 bikes. 2006 w/airbag, 2009 w/Navi, 2010 w/audio,com. All have around 50k miles and appear well maintained with similar accessories. Now big question is should I buy or stay away from the airbag model??? It’s the only one with ABS which I don’t need as I am familiar without it. Is Airbag a problem?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would 'NOT' stay away from it.
IF, you had a frontal collision, it just might save your life.

If someone T-Bones you like happened to me, it won't help.... or it might?

All other things being equal, I would get the Air Bag model for myself.
but, I would also place having ABS brakes at a much higher desirable point than air bags.

Have not followed your other threads, but based on just these two parameters, use the above statements.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought an air bag model in 2012. Then when that was totaled in 2015 I searched specifically for another. Found a 2015 with it. Most likely accident is someone turning left in front of you. It keeps you from launching into the car and smashing against it. I too, think that the ABS Is a more important feature than the airbag. ABS is one of the best safety features made on a bike. Sure I have two other bikes without it. But I also have another with it. Why not have those two extra safety features riding along with you on every ride. You may never need them but if you do they'll be there to help you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The only reason I bought a Goldwing was because it could be had with an Air Bag. If/when I buy another Goldwing it will also have an Air Bag. I grew up when cars did not have Air Bags. I saw the results of accidents and the death toll they spoke of. Then Air Bags came out. I could not believe the tortured wrecks I saw where the occupants walked away from or did so with minor injuries.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Or, you could buy an air-bag vest. this would provide you with protection when you hit the ground or whatever else you may hit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. So no major problems or issues with the airbags over the years?? Any problems removing the fairings to get to the filter with the airbag model?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Just realize that a crash on a motorcycle in any configuration is many times more dangerous than in a automobile, and that you have more to do with preventing it than any safety equipment than can be added to a motorcycle. Choose what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only reason I bought a Goldwing was because it could be had with an Air Bag. If/when I buy another Goldwing it will also have an Air Bag. I grew up when cars did not have Air Bags. I saw the results of accidents and the death toll they spoke of. Then Air Bags came out. I could not believe the tortured wrecks I saw where the occupants walked away from or did so with minor injuries.
I disagree . You can not lay down a car or jump out of the door . I have been down 7 times in 30 plus years of riding . In every wreck only 1 time(A lady in a rush at the post office back up into the front of my bike .I noticed her coming and gently applied the brakes and did not go down) I did not have the lay her down .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the guy sold the Airbag model on me although I told him I’d be down this weekend to get it. Can’t blame him though. No money was exchanged. Oh well onto the next one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always tell the person coming to look at a vehicle, "first come first served". UNLESS they are coming right away and get here at the agreed upon time (within reason), after that first guy with cash gets it.
I have heard from to many people that they would be right out and never show up or have the courtesy to call and say they changed their mind or what ever.
So now I do what I said and protect myself....PERIOD.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My daughter buys & sells a lot of "Market Place stuff"

She consistently gets replies " I'm on my way " and poof!
never hears from them again, and they ignore her request for updates.

She states plainly, I will meet you at XYZ and will wait 10 minutes only, then I am gone.
if she does not know the person, she makes it a point they have to travel the furtherest.

and cash only, no checks ever.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Okay guys. Final thread before I make my purchase. 3 bikes. 2006 w/airbag, 2009 w/Navi, 2010 w/audio,com. All have around 50k miles and appear well maintained with similar accessories. Now big question is should I buy or stay away from the airbag model??? It’s the only one with ABS which I don’t need as I am familiar without it. Is Airbag a problem?
Buy the newest one with nav and audio. If you have to choose between those 2 get the one you will use most often on the road. I would say no on air bag. Alot of accessories will not fit it

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
If you have an accident in which you need an airbag, but you had the chance to get one and didn't what will be going through your mind just before you hit?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts