GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live west of Texas it's no secret buying a Gold Wing is cheaper in the midwest or east coast than on the west coast. The trick is making the purchase and getting it home. I've bought two Wings since 2008 and have saved thousands of dollars. One I bought in Oklahoma and the other in Florida. The one I bought in Oklahoma in 2008 I drove back to southern California (1650 miles). It now has about 52,000 miles on it and has been a great bike. The other I bought in Florida and it's a 2010. Depending on the purchase location I'd ride it back for you. :coffee1:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I bought my 02 in 03 from a guy in Oregon, rode it back home about 1100, great ride except it was the end of July and it was HOT!!!!!!
So now that you sold your 08 what is next on your list?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm glad I bought my bike less than 20 miles from my home. Helps support the local economy, contributes to the well being of several employees (who know me and welcome my business), etc., but more importantly -- I have a brick and mortar building I can ride to and smile. It's a fine dealership and I didn't have to drive very far, I would not drive or fly to save $$$$ -- not worth it IMO. When I have a real need for quick service I know where I can get help fast and if I need a "do over" there's never a question. Just my .02. No need for negative replies -- not interested.

·
Registered
168 Posts
:agree:

With what I can make in 2-3 days I'd rather pay a bit more and work those three days. Evens out in the end. And I support my local dealership so he is there for me in the next 20 years.

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts

With what I can make in 2-3 days I'd rather pay a bit more and work those three days. Evens out in the end. And I support my local dealership so he is there for me in the next 20 years.
Good Point, less FUN...

Quality Local Dealerships are worth their weight in Gold..

Matt(BCNV) :cool:

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Good Point, less FUN...

Quality Local Dealerships are worth their weight in Gold..

Matt(BCNV) :cool:
Unfortunately my "quality local dealership" charges their weight in gold...I'll travel.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
There are two discount dealers one in Oklahoma City/Shawnee area and one in Little Rock area. (same owner) Fly in SWA one way-ride out

·
Registered
268 Posts
Support local IF....

You have a decent dealer nearby to support!
Sorry, I DO believe in supporting a local guy, IF he supports me back. Unfortunatly, not many dealers that I would call decent around here. Bought my last 'Wing(a 2005), a 4 hour drive away...but I saved almost 3 grand over what the locals wanted for the same bike-I believe a day trip is worth saving that kind of money...:thumbup:

Pud

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess when buying I'd ''support'' the lowest price. I guess when getting service I'd "support" the best service. That the way I do groceries, sometimes the ice cream melts.

..louie

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When I bought my Wing in '03, the local dealer wouldn't come off MSRP. I bought the bike from a dealer nearly 1000 miles away in Illinois. Rode it home over the weekend... had a great time and still saved a bundle. I'd "fly 'n ride" again in a heartbeat if the deal was there.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I wouldn't buy a spark plug from the 4 Honda dealers we have here in the Cleveland area. I traveled 100 miles to buy my bike for $3000 less than the local dealers, and I travel 50 miles to another dealer to have my tires put on. (both rides are nice pleasant rides in the country, so I don't mind the distance.)

3 of our dealers won't work on any bike over 8 years old, even if you bought it from them. Not much to support there. They may as well go out of business as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Purchasing a bike out of State, either new or used, and riding it home is a great experience. I'll never forget riding my low mileage 03 Bandit 1200S from lower N.C. back to Silver Spring a few December's ago, in below zero wind chills! Took the Greyhound all night to get down there. :snow1::biker:

I was about to do the same in early 09 and purchase/ride back a new left-over 07 ST-1300 from a Tennessee dealer, but came to my senses and got a Wing on Maryland's Eastern Shore instead :thumbup:

A great way to learn about your new bike's characteristics, and bond.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

I hope the day never comes when I'd rather work than ride.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I'm glad I bought my bike less than 20 miles from my home. Helps support the local economy, contributes to the well being of several employees (who know me and welcome my business), etc., but more importantly -- I have a brick and mortar building I can ride to and smile.
Agreed.

Seems all too often, folks will ride/fly "X" number of miles to save $1500.00, but then expect their local dealer to bend over backwards for them when it comes to service and accessories.

I specifically asked my local Honda dealer about this: I had found a dealership a couple hundred miles away that was selling the same exact bike as my local dealer, but for about $1000.00 less. I asked if there would be a problem with me bringing the bike to them (the local dealer) if I needed service, warranty work, etc

He said "Nope.....but understand that people who buy from US get taken care of first". And I fully understand and agree with that mindset.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
you will find most canadians will buy in the us now. The cost is stupidly expensive. Try about 35000 with taxes included for a level 4 with airbags here in Canada. So yes i will travell and buy a great distance from home to pick it up

·
Registered
342 Posts
Several of us live in areas where the local (150 miles) dealers simply say " give us your money and get off our lots".

Case in point, the dealer I bought my wing from refuses to work on wing as I discovered at my first warrantee problem. At the Time all dealers for three hundred were selling at MSRP +5% + $1000 setup:wrong:. Talked the local dealer down to a respectable price...but still.

So what do I owe these dealers??

The is a new dealer nearby. Big inventory, nice shop. We will see if I ever need to buy another bike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wish I had a local dealer to buy from. The three closest don't want the hassle of having a Wing in stock and bitch like crazy if you want to see one. Forget about a test ride. And they all charge $105 an hour shop time, and, of course, book repair time not actual repair time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm all for supporting local businesses but the local dealer is not that great. I've been told that they take care of people that buy from them 1st. I purchased my previous wing when I lived in a different town and them moved here so I wasn't treated as a local customer because I didn't buy from them. I just remembered how I was treated when it was time to buy the '05. I flew to Atlanta and bought from Lawrenceville Honda and rode back. Overall saved about $2500 even after cost of flight and motels. I do as much maintenance as I can myself so I don't need the dealer much. Parts I get from HAL.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Agreed.

Seems all too often, folks will ride/fly "X" number of miles to save $1500.00, but then expect their local dealer to bend over backwards for them when it comes to service and accessories.

I specifically asked my local Honda dealer about this: I had found a dealership a couple hundred miles away that was selling the same exact bike as my local dealer, but for about $1000.00 less. I asked if there would be a problem with me bringing the bike to them (the local dealer) if I needed service, warranty work, etc

He said "Nope.....but understand that people who buy from US get taken care of first". And I fully understand and agree with that mindset.
I agree that some people do have unrealistic expectation. But I also think that most have come to not expect much from their local dealers, no matter where they bought it from. They expect to be treated like crap regardless of who they bought the bike from. There is a lot of animosity towards certain dealerships.

Giving preferential treatment to customers who bought their bike from that dealership should be expected, and along with it a reasonable amount of delay for those who didn't. This is common in the automotive industry as well. In most cases it shouldn't be viewed as though you are less important. Some Dealerships make lofty service commitments to their customers from the sales floor, and those customers go to the front of the line.

Of course, some dealerships are just bastards. They tend to just ignore bikes from customers who did not buy their bikes from them. And all they do is hurt themselves. Instead of offering that customer good service and giving them good reason to come back and buy their next bike from them, the dealership just turns off that customer and loses a great opportunity.

Fortunately, we ride Honda's. The inevitable snide remarks will no doubt follow this statement. But most Goldwing owners don't expect that they will be seeing the dealer much after they ride off the showroom floor, so service support isn't a huge consideration. My 02 has been to the dealer once in almost 10 years for something other than tires.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts