GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

A few months now after buying my 2010 Wing I have noticed quite a few low mileage bikes out there for very attractive prices. Of course, there were plenty of them when I bought my bike but like my BMW before it and my PC800 before it I wanted a new bike. Not that there wern't some fine used ones out there to be had, but I just wanted a brand new machine and I wanted to be the one that put all the miles on it. I wanted to be able to experience all the changes in the bike as as it and I aged together. Plus I did not want to have to wonder if the bike had ever been abused or mishandled in any way. I am well aware that we are talking about a Goldwing here and not a 600cc crotch rocket owned by an 17 year old kid. But let's face it, there are those out there that do not take good care of their machines.

So I am just wondering if that had any influence on those of you that bought new or used. Or whatever reasons that you had for buying a new or used bike, share them with us.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought my V-Rod new. Because it was the anniversary edition, with the one-year only silver/black paint, I hardly every rode it, and when I did, only on clear days. The bike has never seen rain! A 2003 with 4800 miles on it and constantly worrying about scratching or having it get damaged. So I wanted a bike that I could ride the gravel road to my house, get wet, dirty and really put some miles on it without worrying about it. A low mileage, pre-scratched 2003 Wing was just the ticket for me!

The V-Rod is still my baby, and I take it out now and then to cruise nights, car/bike shows and such. But the real miles go on the Wing :yes1:

When I wear this one out, I will probably buy low-mileage used again...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This is my 5 wing three of them were bought new.
I Like the new ones, the price of a new one, not so much.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Hi Guys.

A few months now after buying my 2010 Wing I have noticed quite a few low mileage bikes out there for very attractive prices. Of course, there were plenty of them when I bought my bike but like my BMW before it and my PC800 before it I wanted a new bike. Not that there wern't some fine used ones out there to be had, but I just wanted a brand new machine and I wanted to be the one that put all the miles on it. I wanted to be able to experience all the changes in the bike as as it and I aged together. Plus I did not want to have to wonder if the bike had ever been abused or mishandled in any way. I am well aware that we are talking about a Goldwing here and not a 600cc crotch rocket owned by an 17 year old kid. But let's face it, there are those out there that do not take good care of their machines.

So I am just wondering if that had any influence on those of you that bought new or used. Or whatever reasons that you had for buying a new or used bike, share them with us.
I bought new because I wanted brand new and intended to keep her a long time. I take really good care of my stuff. It is part of the ownership experience for me. And, I read a few oil threads on this board. If that don't make you want to but new, nothiing will. Seriously though, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used if I needed to and would try to get the lowest miles I could afford regardless of model year.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have only purchased one bike in my lifetime brand spanking new. The others I have bought were used, 2 Honda 750's, a Venture, a GL1200 all from people I did not know. All were good bikes. The 1800, I was fortunate enough to purchase from someone I have know for many years but rode it very little. So far, great bike. Guess I have been lucky in getting some bikes that have not been ragged out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My Goldwing was my very first brand new motor vehicle that had zero miles on it. Although the VTX that I purchased in 2009 was considered new, it was already 3 years old when I bought it and had nearly 100 miles on it from being taken to dealer shows when they were trying to sell it. Like you I wanted a bike that I could honestly say I put every mile on it. It's a 2010 that I purchased (took delivery of) July 25th last year. I will turn 18,000 miles by the end of this week. The bike barely resembles the wing it once was and I have put so many additional accessories on the bike that it is truly mine and like no other. I will continue to ride and maintain this machine and hopefully it will last me for many years to come. I have no intention of looking at purchasing another bike in the foreseeable future and if I do, it's unlikely that it will be brand new like the one I have now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For me, cost was the driver

I would have love to have bought a brand spanking new Wing but if I had waited til I could afford that I'd never have gotten one, so for me it was strictly a cost based decision.

I purchased my 02 Wing with 88K miles on it and some may think that was nuts, but I had done my research and new that, properly maintained, that bike would go to beyond 300K. In a little over two years, I have put 40K miles on the bike and have loved every minute of it.

As soon as I got the bike though, I basically rebaselined all of the maintenance (got Fred's vids and that was a great help). In the two years I have had I did have the rear drive fail and I have preventatively changed the alternator. Other major upgrades include Ultimate Monty Traxxion (front, rear, fork brace, trip trees).

One advantage to me of the used bike besides the cost (bought it for 9K with a bunch of nice add ons) is that it does have a few battle scars and I don't feel so bad about scraping pegs or (when practicing for Top Gun, slow speed stuff) dropping the bike.

So the used bike has worked well for me. Would I love to have a brand new Wing? You bet....but I just couldn't manage to wing it at WD!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I bought my '09 new simply because I could afford new. I'm planning on riding all 48 states on it and will probably be in the market for a trike by then. If all works out as planned I will buy a new wing then and trike it immediately. I figure this one will have in the area of 100K on it by then since it has 48K on it now and I'm guessing it'll have 60K on it by the time the warranty runs out in Feb.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I agonized over buying a new wing. My first wing I bought used from a friend, but it only had 800 miles on it (500 put on in one trip to Houston), when he had a heart attack and decided to sell his three bikes.

When I was recently looking at buying another wing, I really wanted to buy new, as all my other bikes and cars have been purchased new (whoops, except the very first car I bought while in school).

I decided to save about $8000 by buying a used bike with less than 12,000 miles on it. My decision actually came down to my refusing to pay $20,000+ for a Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I bought a low mileage 2003 with a few chrome accessories. Some folks don't ride much but enjoy having a bike around. I ride mine as much as I want and don't worry much about the miles, so a used bike is all I needed. GL1800s will never be museum pieces because there are too many of them. They are made to ride and that's what I do with mine.

I bought my 2003 in 2009 with about 10,000 miles on it in 6 years. I've had it 2 years and have put on about 9,000 miles. I'm not an excessive rider, but if there is somewhere I want to go on the Wing, I go.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I purchased my 05 ABS in March of 06 with 200 miles on it....With all the extras the guy gave $22k for it..He sold it 2 me for $17.500....Yes. that once in a lifetime used deal does come up every few weeks when you are really looking.... cheers...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I purchased my 05 ABS in March of 06 with 200 miles on it....With all the extras the guy gave $22k for it..He sold it 2 me for $17.500....Yes. that once in a lifetime used deal does come up every few weeks when you are really looking.... cheers...
I had similar experience. I could pay for a new one, but deal came along on 2008 level III. Someone was selling one on Craigslist about 45 minutes from my house. Exactly 1 year old, 3700 miles, with Cobra exaust (stock in box), extended Honda warranty, sat. radio and Kury heel and toe shifter in box brand spanking new (guy didn't care for it...) It cost him over 23 K without the add-ons... Hi gave it up for 17K and even brought it over our house in enclosed trailer..;) Now I could do Full Monty Traxxion and still not break the bank.....:coffee1:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought my 2005 level 1 with about $1500 worth of extras back in Oct 10. Bike was a one owner with 5172 miles on it. Guy worked overseas so he didn't get to ride it much. I paid $10,000 for it and believe I could sell it right now for more than that. A brand new 2010 would have been nice but it would have cost twice as much.

I really wasn't looking for a Wing, my 07 road glide had just thrown a rod, ruining the motor, and I had sold it as is. Never had a wing, just bought this one to ride until I could afford another HD. Then I found out what most people on this board already know, it's really hard not to like a Wing.

I am happy with my "Fat Girl".

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought my 2003 GL in June of 2004 for $16,000 at the San Diego's House of Motorcycles. It was a repo out of Arizona with 3,996 miles on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts