GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on an Add-on heel/toe shifter and couldn't get the bike in fifth gear. The end of the shifter was hitting the bottom of the motor. I cut off the end similar to Kuryakyn's but still miss an occasional shift, plus I had to take off the original shifter's rubber boot or it would occasionally bind with the Add-on's peg when going into the lower gears. I called Add-on Tech support and Alan told me they had encountered about six other Wing owners who have had the same problem. He said it was the way Honda put the shifter on over the "splines". If the shifter was splined several notches higher than "usual", it would do that. He said Add-on is going to put out a replacement in the spring and he would send me a new one. He was very nice, but meanwhile I have to stomp the damn thing to get it to shift. Another problem is that the distance between the heel and toe pedals is about three inches shorter than Kuryakyn's and my boot heel has a tendency to counter my toe shifts because of it! I see no other alternative but to buy a Kuryakyn since the one on my Kuryakyn floorboards shifted very well. I took the floorboards off and replaced them with Mini-floorboards and an offset peg extension that lowers them but can't rob the shifter because of the way it is consctructed. Anyone else had this problem? :cry:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Can't help, I have the Kury's and beside from not being adjustable they are ok.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Don't know the product, but when things like this happen I tend to re-read the instructions.. Many times they are not well written and can be taken multiple ways!! I can't believe that a company would produce a product that didn't work/fit... Hope you get it resolved!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Big,
I have the Rattlebars kickshift, flawless.
Rich K ( Wing Ski )

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
If you have to "stomp" on it and bend the shifter Honda will NOT warrant it!

I have read a few posts for this very thing. BEWARE!!!!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
i bought a shifter from custom chrome for 50 dollars . had the same problem .i had to go to the hardware store buy longer screws and chrome spacers and washers .still down shifts a little stiff.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
The Add On is almost identical to the Rattlebars.
I have one,and haven't had a problem with it.
operative word here is "almost"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
littlejoe1227 said:
i bought a shifter from custom chrome for 50 dollars . had the same problem .i had to go to the hardware store buy longer screws and chrome spacers and washers .still down shifts a little stiff.
I tried all that with the Add-on, washers, longer bolt, removed the rubber boot, etc., nothing worked. I replaced it yesterday with a Kuryakyn which I should have bought in the first place. The bike now shifts wonderfully well and the three extra inches between the heel/toe pedals is worth a million. My big Harley boots now fit between them and shifting is almost automatic it's so smooth! I'll call Add-on tomorrow and ask for a refund, I don't want another Add-on regardless of how they redesign it! :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I sure like my Kurys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts