GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't fine a thread on this/ Im thinking about buying a used bike in NY state and having it shipped to Kansas The seller wants his money up front before he will shipp which I can understand?But how do I protect myself from title or vin # issues/ any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would'nt

I wouldn't do it. Buy one local. I'm sure there are plenty around.

Remember: "A fool and his money are soon parted".

·
Registered
224 Posts
Be Careful

I would never purchased a bike that way unless I knew the person very well or I inspected the bike to make sure it's in good shape and the title is free and clear. Even then you may not find all the issues until you put some miles on the bike.

Buyer beware!! :eek:4:

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Easy
GO GET IT

If not maybe a member here will act as your rep and go see it for you

Rocky saved me and a bud a pile a few years ago

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hope he did not ask you to send the money to a P.O. box in Nigeria. I would go with getting a board member to check it out as plan C. Buy local would be plan A. Go pick it up Plan B.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
His to provide you with the vin and you can have it checked. i would have someone on this board go to the guys house and inspect it for you and to see if it ligit. i am sure someone will do it for you. the other option is see if there is a gwrra chapter in your area and borrow one of their gold books and find one of them in the area and call them to go take a look at it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Get as much info as you can including lots of clear detailed photos. Talk to the seller on the phone to get a sense of who he is and how the bike was cared for. Ask to see maintenance records and receipts and a detailed list of farkles.

Then if you are satisfied that the bike is what you want, get on a plane or a train and go buy your bike and drive it home.

I've done this with many cars and bikes over the years. I flew to Richmond for my minty low mileage '92 Fleetwood.........In fact I just got on a train last Wednesday and rode back from Daytona on my new Wing..... ......a farkley 2009 Yeller' Level 4 with 12K mi. :yes:

Just take your time and do your homework. Good Luck on your hunt !

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can't fine a thread on this/ Im thinking about buying a used bike in NY state and having it shipped to Kansas The seller wants his money up front before he will shipp which I can understand?But how do I protect myself from title or vin # issues/ any ideas?

Do a title search.

If the seller is a dealer then they will have protocals (sp) in place for the transfer of title.

If a warranty can still be purchased, buy one.
If it is a 2002 or there abouts there were frame related problems.
Have a local dealer do an inspection.

An attorney can act as an escrow agent.

As others have said buy a ticket, bring a check, have it inspected, drive it home.

My recent purchase was from a dealer in Macon City IA., Mason City Honda. The bike was as represented. I purchased an extended warranty.
I flew up there in March, Liked it and paid for it.

They even let me store it there until I had a chance to pick it up months later. Great Dealer.

RJ

·
Registered
250 Posts
You can check out escrow services such as http://www.escrow.com

The fee for a $15,000 purchase would be $188.50 according to their site.

I presume it functions such that you deposit funds by some method, they give the ok to the seller to ship, then when you receive it and are happy you let them know to release the funds.

Of course, there are many scenarios for imperfect transactions that you can read about.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As others have said buy a ticket, bring a check, have it inspected, drive it home.
FYI I wouldn't sell to someone handing me a check. Or a money order. Or a bank check. Too many ways to defraud you with fake or stolen checks.

Cash.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buy it

Easy
GO GET IT

If not maybe a member here will act as your rep and go see it for you

Rocky saved me and a bud a pile a few years ago
cc has it right. I have purchased 6 GL's thru the years privately with no problems. One other from a dealer, not a good experence. Talk to the seller for 5 or 10 minutes and if you don't fill comfortable, find someone on the board close to go take a look.I flew to the left coast for one and the right coast for the latest, my 2010.

Terry

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I would and have travelled to a good deal, but only if i had a good feeling about bike after talking on the phone. Shipping abike w/o a family member like my dad who rides seeing the bike would be a no go.

What are you looking for specifically? I bet I could find you some good deals closer and bored watching a little tv. Shoot me a PM if you want.

·
Registered
124 Posts
According to the OPs sig lines he is a GWRRA member, so that would be the way to go, grab your Gold Book, call some close by the bike and ask them to check it out for you, then they can act as a agent for you or you can fly out and ride it back. I would consider this route even with a dealer. . .

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would never lay my money out without laying eyes on it. especially from a private owner.
A franchised dealer with a alot of ebay feedback yeah.
I Would fly in and ride home. Or fly in check it , take it to a shipper and fly home.
But once you give them the money you have no recourse.
And there (i don't think) are not carfax's for bikes, not that those worth much any how.
There are Goldwings for sale in all corners of this country, one will show up, and once you start factoring transportaion costs, taking off work etc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check your GWRRA Gold book for members and call a few close to the bike and have them look at it for you. Worked for me.
Im not in the goldwing book but if the bike is anywhere near malone ny let me know and id be glad to take a look for you or even take a video

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Im not in the goldwing book but if the bike is anywhere near malone ny let me know and id be glad to take a look for you or even take a video[/QUOTE

Kevin, Thanks for stepping up to help him.

How does he want the money upfront?? Western Union, Paypal? sounds al ittle fishy,IMHO

·
Registered
425 Posts
Paypal but he will lose a bit for the fee's He could make it a private sale on Ebay and then you be protected if you follow the steps, not hard just a little time really

1 - 20 of 34 Posts