GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I need some help.

I'm a newly minted Darksider and very proud of it. The Kumho is magnificent, both Janine and I notice the difference in the ride.

I decided on the Kumho based on reports and input from this esteemed board and it's contributors, and my own investigative efforts. (I really like the perfect symmetry of the Kumho)

I just ordered the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 to go double as my OEM Dunnie is now balder than Kojak.

Here's the thing....I don't have that warm fuzzy for the 'stone I had about the Kumho so my request is can someone please blow some sunshine in my direction regarding the benefits, advantages etc. of putting a Battlax bias ply tire designed for rear wheel use on the front of my Wing ? Pretty please.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

·
Registered
128 Posts
John,
I would like to blow some sunshine your way but the debate on the front tire is too much to handle...
I was riding on the 709 and got alot of miles out of it.
Then along came the Battlax & Sport Demon.
After watching and reading about them both I chose the Sport Demon.
I have about 500 miles on it and it is awesome.
I think the idea is the tread depth on the rear wheels is deeper than on the 709 thus giving you more tire wear.
That's what I got out of it!!! :shrug:
If I'm wrong they will correct me!!! :bow:

Ray :doorag:

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Battlax tire is a bias ply tire the seem to wear a lot better than the radial tires like e3"s on the Wings. The trike peaple are using the Battlax and having good milage from them. Also with the deeper tread may be both will come close to wearing out at the same time. In short you should get a lot more miles out of the Battlax. Is this enough sun shine:shrug:
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Yep, extra tread depth (almost twice as much)is the main reason and perhaps the only one for folks using those two bias-ply tires in front of a CT.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
John,
I think the idea is the tread depth on the rear wheels is deeper than on the 709 thus giving you more tire wear.
That's what I got out of it!!! :shrug:
Yep,

That's what I've got out of it too.

That and the compound seems a little "different" than a regular front MC tire. The thing sticks like glue as much as the Conti on the back.
I'm running the Bax with close to 7k on it now with no issues at all. I don't have a recent tread depth measurement on it but it had'nt lost hardly any the last time I checked.

Stick had some problems with cupping at lower pressures than 40psi, so I've been watching my pressure very close.

I've got 2oz of Dyna beads in front and 3oz in the back, don't know if that has made any difference or not but it's all good so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Curious myself

Hi John
I'm new to the boards myself, but it was these forums that got me to mount my Goodyear Ultragrip. I couldnt be more pleased with that decision! There hasn't been quite as much discussion, from what I've read, about the rear MC tire on the front. Nonetheless, I got my BT45 yesterday and hope to mount it Monday. I hope I'm as pleased with it as I have been my CT

Thanks to all of you guys for making us aware of this alternative!

Roger

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My Battlax now has over 18,000 miles on it and only wore 4/32 of rubber off. It has started to cup some. I've kept it at 40 psi but still cupping. It has somewhat of a rough ride. It telegraphs small bumps and road cracks up the forks and sings on turns, BUT WEARS GREAT. I haven't had any problems with handling with it, handles just like the 709 it replaced. I can live with the small imperfections it has, over all its a great front skin for the overweight sport bike.

S

·
0 Posts
Here comes the sun - I run only the BT45r on "all" my bikes. I found the ride to be great, I run 32psi on the valk and 35 on the Wing. I am on my 2nd tire on the front of the wing and the last one went 26k with normal cupping and no wobble or other problems. Minor howl in the corners but about 10% of what you would get with a CR at best. Tire on the Valk is even better as the Valkyries do not tend to suffer from the wing tire fussieness.
I will go with this tire until they quit making it then try something else.

The only difference between the rear tire and front is tread design the cord layout and sidewall construction is the same as any other bias.
And because it's bias you know it's been a tried and true tested design and the most common tire type on the planet. No overheating and delamination if you happen to develop a leak due to puncture. You can run all day at 15-20 psi and be fine (know this for a fact)

You made the correct choice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all the above contributors.....

You explained a lot, and have made me feel wholeheartedly better about my purchase (it should be here before the weekend)

I don't know if you're interested or not but I got it from www.americanmototire.com shipped to my FL address for $110.74

Ride safe all, and thanks again.

John

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I don't know how much you travel on the Wing and say for instance, ride the twisties a lot, but if you ride mostly in FL, you have the right tires.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Ok guys,

I need some help.

I'm a newly minted Darksider and very proud of it. The Kumho is magnificent, both Janine and I notice the difference in the ride.

I decided on the Kumho based on reports and input from this esteemed board and it's contributors, and my own investigative efforts. (I really like the perfect symmetry of the Kumho)

I just ordered the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 to go double as my OEM Dunnie is now balder than Kojak.

Here's the thing....I don't have that warm fuzzy for the 'stone I had about the Kumho so my request is can someone please blow some sunshine in my direction regarding the benefits, advantages etc. of putting a Battlax bias ply tire designed for rear wheel use on the front of my Wing ? Pretty please.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

I tried 3 different brands of front tires with my Kuhmo rear and the
best handling hands down is the Michelin Road Pilot GT for the
front of the 1500 Wing (bias ply tire)

I cheated though, I called some tire engineers I use to work with
when I was doing motorcycle tire testing in my road race days.
I asked them to solve the handling problem with the car tires
on the back of an 1800 Wing. They saved me a bunch of time and
money. The bike flicks around like it has motorcycle tires on it now.
I think most riders wouldn't even notice the car tire now if I let
them take it for a ride and didn't tell them it had a car tire on it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Having run both the BAX and the Demon, I would probably go for another Demon as the single compound wears a little more even across the tire. The dual compound of the BAX leaves a solid layer of rubber down thru the center of the tire which is good for straight line riding. However, if doing a lot of aggressive riding in the turns the softer rubber off the center of the tread wears out quicker and tends to not blend very well to the harder center compound. They are both good tires but the choice would depend a lot on riding style... Cheers..:doorag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts