GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a Harley guy, mostly choppers and customs. My wife and I are going to buy a 2 up bike, I have a few questions. The Goldwing and BMW LT seem to be the best choice, is there a year Goldwing I should look for, I read alot of posts about frame cracking issues on the earlier Wings. I'm sure you guys have the most knowledge, I notice prices seem better in different areas, I would consider flying in and riding back. What are your thoughts any help would be great. Thanks, Glenn.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you are looking for a new one...not a bad idea...you might try Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga, TN. 1-800-491-1640. They do have a large selection to choose from.
If you find a used bike (Honda) that you think you would like to purchase get the VIN number and take it to any Honda dealer and ask them to run the number for you and they can tell you if all of the recalls have been done.
Good luck on finding the right bike for you.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm a Harley guy, mostly choppers and customs. My wife and I are going to buy a 2 up bike, I have a few questions. The Goldwing and BMW LT seem to be the best choice, is there a year Goldwing I should look for, I read alot of posts about frame cracking issues on the earlier Wings. I'm sure you guys have the most knowledge, I notice prices seem better in different areas, I would consider flying in and riding back. What are your thoughts any help would be great. Thanks, Glenn.
Welcome to the board, you might be better off if you could find an 06 or newer model. Several changes were made to them then. The frame was beefed up, radiators were made larger, comfort items were added as well as a 6 speaker 80watt audio system. During these bad economic times low mileage 06 and 07 are going a little cheaper. Check out craigslist or Ebay and even the classified ads on our site. A lot of dealers also have a lot of 08s left over and are willing to deal to get rid of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I 2nd Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga, TN. 1-800-491-1640. I drove from Atlanta to purchase my bike there. Everybody there was extremely great to work with.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
my 1st

I just bought my 1st last spring.LOVE IT!! 2008 AUDIO/COMFORT/NAVI model.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Welcome to the board...being a chopper & custom guy ,you sure you can handle a long distance ride..lol..just messen with you..as others have said check out Power Sports in Chattanooga, TN..one of the best prices..

go with a 06 or up..good luck..

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
06 or newer would be the better choice as already stated.

A suggestion...rent a new one for a couple days and know what you are getting into. Consider it an investment in satisfaction.

I too was a Harley guy and currently own a BigDog that I almost never ride anymore.....

Enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rode a Softail Deuce to Sturgis from Seattle, after that I think I could ride anything anywhere. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm on the left coast so unless it's a killer deal I'm looking on this side of the states.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just went through the same thought process. I checked the K1200LT and found that it hasn't been updated since the big comparison done against the GL1500.( google it you'll find it) I went looking for a used touring 2 up bike and found that they keep thier value well. Ebay has alot of Goldwings but be careful who you do business with, check the local better business chapter online for the dealer.If it sounds like the deal is to good to be true, it probley is.
I ended up buying a 09 Deep Blue Metelic Goldwing option 2. Rode it home last Friday.I find it a huge advancement from my 1998 GL 1500.
If you are used to a HD curiser than the wing would do you nicely. I wasn't real comfortable on the BMW after an hour or so, It rides more like a Croutch rocket than a cruiser.
Bottom line is you should rent them both and see what works for you.
Happy hunting

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just don't be conned into paying more for the totally useless NAVI package. Unfortunately, you'll have a hard time finding the Comfort package (nicely heated seats and grips & worth the money) without the Navigation (GPS) package.
Before I bought my wing I went to my local BMW dealer and rode every new model they had plus a used LT. The dealer was terrific! A great way to spend an afternoon. When I left I knew for sure that there's no other bike in the world that can equal a GL1800. Especially two-up!
Next time you post here you'll probably be an owner so "welcome" in advance! :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes on the 06 or newer if you can swing it, if not all years were good from 01 up even with the recalls. Biggest thing I would look for is if the bike you are planning to buy still has a warranty or extended one.

Stay away from the LT as they are top heavy pigs in traffic, I owned a 00 and 01 and hated them, alos the dealers are far and few between as well as many of them are arrogant a holiness ;-) The LT is traffic with a passenger, full tank of gas are horrible handeling. The seats also leave a lot to be desired and if your a taller folk you knees will be in the fairing as they seat can not be modified to move you back...........

Myself my all time favorite seat for the 1800 is the Russell Day Long.

If you are looking for a new one...not a bad idea...you might try Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga, TN. 1-800-491-1640. They do have a large selection to choose from.
If you find a used bike (Honda) that you think you would like to purchase get the VIN number and take it to any Honda dealer and ask them to run the number for you and they can tell you if all of the recalls have been done.
Good luck on finding the right bike for you.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Captw3 and Safadriver are right, check the bikes out.

I went looking into the LT, the GL and the HD Ultra, all 08 models. The –reasonably close- Honda dealer was on Ebay selling the GL for 6 to 10 K $ less then the HD or BMW. To save that much is worth it. Plus the finance rate was exceptional.

Pick your own goodies to dress out the creature comforts. There are a lot of interesting choices. I went basic for numerous reasons.

By the way I have a ’84 FXSB-Shovel. Still ride it occasionally.

Good Luck,
Bobalou

·
Registered
643 Posts
I looked at going to Power Sports in Chattanooga, TN , but by time I figured in travel and time Sumter was closer for me. Check out www.hondaofsumter.com or call 866-506-3814 they treated me pretty good. I looked on their website saw a bike I liked called them, agreed on a price and told them when I would be able to pick it up. Asked them how much they need to hold it for me. They said my word was good enough.

While my wife rode with me on my 01 Ultra and liked it, the first time she rode on the 07 Goldwing she made the commit that this must be the closest you can get to ridding on a cloud.
Good luck no matter where or what you decide to buy. Ride safe.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Glenn,
While your looking. Check out Everett Powersports at 215 SW Everett Mall Way, Everett,WA 425-347-4545. 1-800-735-7031.
They have a few used bikes in as of last week.. Also Consider the Travel time off work schedule, etc in your purchase price and the Support factor and relationship that you can have with a good dealer, such as the above named dealer... Total it all up! Make and Offer and work from that.. I think you might be surprised and be able to stay Local... Private e-mail me if you have questions.. If your in the Seattle Area. I'm just 70 miles North.. I'm just a customer like you. No affiliation with them, except they got my Money. LOL:shrug: Your going to Enjoy the GL1800 (Hands Down). If Your a Serious Buyer ask them to ride the Silver one (Demo) ASK GABE
David
HondaMortch

·
Registered
501 Posts
Buy a wing

Give you a tip Max Pitts in Peru IN. And another one buy the basic model then add on all the stuff that you want like heated grips and seat. The Nav is ok but not worth the 1000+ you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glenn,
While your looking. Check out Everett Powersports at 215 SW Everett Mall Way, Everett,WA 425-347-4545. 1-800-735-7031.
They have a few used bikes in as of last week.. Also Consider the Travel time off work schedule, etc in your purchase price and the Support factor and relationship that you can have with a good dealer, such as the above named dealer... Total it all up! Make and Offer and work from that.. I think you might be surprised and be able to stay Local... Private e-mail me if you have questions.. If your in the Seattle Area. I'm just 70 miles North.. I'm just a customer like you. No affiliation with them, except they got my Money. LOL:shrug: Your going to Enjoy the GL1800 (Hands Down). If Your a Serious Buyer ask them to ride the Silver one (Demo) ASK GABE
David
HondaMortch
Thanks for the heads up I'll call them. Glenn

1 - 20 of 33 Posts