GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clean one owner w/Traxxion upgrades F&R, all maintenance records. Base model 2002 w/120,000 miles. $7,000. Am I an idiot for considering this?
Would most likely be setup as a dedicated LD mount.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
sounds reasonable to me

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sounds like a Wing still in its youth!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes

I have had honda cars and bikes from 74 till 2010. A civic with over 300,00 miles. Several well over 100,000. My bikes, just the hondas,3 out of 7, high mileage. So when it comes to hondas, I wouldn't hesitate.

Clean one owner w/Traxxion upgrades F&R, all maintenance records. Base model 2002 w/120,000 miles. $7,000. Am I an idiot for considering this?
Would most likely be setup as a dedicated LD mount.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Rule of thumb for me is if they have taken care of the cosmetics, then proud owner took care of the mechanics so smiles are ok...on the other hand a beater has ben beaten to the core....JMHO

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Bought my '04 with 100k on the clock from a friend who I knew had done everything right from new. I've since put anothedr 106 on it. Only thing I've done, other than the norm, is an alternator at 130k.

As a precaution I picked up a cheap final drive from a trike conversion and swapped it at 180k. The bike has never missed a beat. :thumbup:

Sounds like a good price, especially if it comes with any extras.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I know half a dozen riders who have from 200 to 300 K on their bikes and they do not baby them either. They take care of them but do not baby them.

Other than general maintenance, an alternator and a final drive and drive shaft would be the only concerns and the rear drive is not much of one, as you can get the whole assembly for under 200 bucks.

These bikes run a long time.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sounds good to me. I have an 02 with 102,000 and I wouldn't take that

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I've had 4 Goldwing's, all of them had 100,000 + when I got rid of them, they all ran great. I'm riding number 5 now and I hope to get at least 100,000 miles from it.

I know of one that I sold to a friend that has close to 200,000 on it now, and is still going.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy one with high mileage, as long as it runs good, and is not all beat to hell.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
If it was well maintained I would simply consider it broke in and buy it if it fulfills your needs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's a good deal...go for it! I paid 7 for an 03 with 175k and am happy about it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
A "stock" high mileage bike would not worry me..
but a significantly modified one would ' cause now you're betting that everyone who's gotten into it didn't take any shortcuts AND knew what they were doing.

A stock Honda is one thing.
A "tinkerbike“ is no longer a Honda in terms of reliability.

Hold out for a mostly stock 05 or newer ABS if you can..
I've seen them for not much more than the price you've mentioned.

Dennis

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you could probably find Wings with half that mileage for another $4-5K, if the mileage is of great concern and you have the additional cash. I bought a 2003 with only 27,500 miles for $12,500. Level 3, ABS, cruise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re

I found a 01 with ten thousand on the clock for 10.500 , I would honestly keep looking. There are better deals out there. I just got mine 03,abs,25000 miles with a warrantee for 11.000. Can't wait to run mine to over 100,000 miles and beyond. I saw many over 100,000 at that price but I rather buy up for lower millage and hope the long run less issues. Mine is currently in the shop under a warrantee issue.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Here is another way to look at it.

Major problems with the Wing such as the transmission failures and ADG gear failures, seem to happen more to the newer bikes and most do show their failure before 60 K at some point or maybe 80 K.

So all in all a bike that runs well and has been well taken care of is most likely a good one. If it was going to have transmission problems or some other major problem it would have developed already.

Just something I have noticed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts