GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the guy who had a disappointing test ride on a DCT GL1800, and then a week later a great test ride on one with a manual transmission. Have pretty much decided this is the bike I want.

I'm trying to find a new Gold Wing, 2018 or 2019, at as good a deal as possible. Looks like there are some 2018's of the type I'm leaning toward, some still in the crate, others on the dealer's floor, at a sizable discount. Should I have any concerns about a bike sitting unused in a crate or other location for 2 or more years? I've read many times that motorcycles are engineered to be ridden, not kept in storage indefinitely, and riding them keeps things properly lubricated, protected, etc.

I know low mileage used bikes are also an option, but I'd prefer a new machine.

Are there any differences between 2018 and 2019? Mindful this was a brand new design in 2018, buying a 2018 makes me just a little hesitant. But I did buy a 2001 GL1800, couldn't wait, and there were zero issues.

And will details of the 2020's be announced soon? Any changes/updates likely? I'm also curious if there will be color changes.

What are you thoughts? Thanks!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm the guy who had a disappointing test ride on a DCT GL1800, and then a week later a great test ride on one with a manual transmission. Have pretty much decided this is the bike I want.

I'm trying to find a new Gold Wing, 2018 or 2019, at as good a deal as possible. Looks like there are some 2018's of the type I'm leaning toward, some still in the crate, others on the dealer's floor, at a sizable discount. Should I have any concerns about a bike sitting unused in a crate or other location for 2 or more years? I've read many times that motorcycles are engineered to be ridden, not kept in storage indefinitely, and riding them keeps things properly lubricated, protected, etc.

Are there any differences between 2018 and 2019? Mindful this was a brand new design in 2018, buying a 2018 makes me just a little hesitant. But I did buy a 2001 GL1800, couldn't wait, and there were zero issues.

And will details of the 2020's be announced soon? Any changes/updates likely? I'm also curious if there will be color changes.

If you don't care about saving any money,Wait for the 2020 which should be seen soon , and see what's different , otherwise it's still a Honda Goldwing and in the crate is still new ( as far as your warranty ). It's only Your decision...

Love my DCT!, And you can't go wrong with the Manual either! ( good to have choices)
Pbr

·
Registered
799 Posts

I bought a 5-year old new in the crate Ducati 906 Paso. When I bought it, I asked (the highly respected) dealer to change the oil and coolant before I took delivery. The dealership owner (who was also the principle Ducati technician) said, "Why change that stuff. It's all new." I followed his advice and did not change the fluids, owned that Ducati for 12 years and NEVER had a single problem with it. So, there is no problem with buying a NOS bike that's sat for a couple years, asuuming it's been properly stored in a dry, weather-protected space.

As for your other questions, it doesn't appear you're ready to buy without a lot more research.

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you don't care about saving any money,Wait for the 2020 which should be seen soon , and see what's different , otherwise it's still a Honda Goldwing and in the crate is still new ( as far as your warranty ). It's only Your decision...

Love my DCT!, And you can't go wrong with the Manual either! ( good to have choices)
Pbr
I agree. wait a couple months, see whats new and then buy the crated 18 at a big discount.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Personally I would much rather buy a new crated bike than a new one that's been sitting on the dealer's floor for many months. Take a look at the bike's on the dealer's floor closely and you'll notice a lot of scuff marks on the saddlebags and seats as well as small dings. The longer the bike has been parked on the floor the more that potential customers, looky loos, and kids who have idiot parents who don't keep on them, are getting on and off the bikes. When it's in a crate the bike is well protected, until it's un-crated.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
Are there any differences between 2018 and 2019? Mindful this was a brand new design in 2018, buying a 2018 makes me just a little hesitant. But I did buy a 2001 GL1800, couldn't wait, and there were zero issues

Don't worry about buying a 2018...there have hardly been any problems with the 2018 models ...the 2018 is well sorta out and is darn near-flawless compared to how the old model was at this point after it was released...and there are so many upgrades over the old model. Honda finally got the old model right after 5 years but the 2018 model shows that Honda learned a thing or two and got it right the first time this time around.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would wait to see the 2020 before I bought. Third-year bike, so there might be a couple of significant upgrades worth considering. If not, you may at least be able to get a bigger discount on the 2018-19 once the 2020 is released. :wink2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would not be concerned about the age of the bike in the crate. I bought a Honda Rune that was in the crate so long that the cables had yellowed! They replaced them and I never had an issue with the bike and the guy who bought it from me still rides it to this day with no issues.

As far as waiting......that is your decision. If you are not going to be riding this winter, you can wait for awhile and see what 2020 model is going to be like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought a new in-the-crate 2018 manual shift model for the same reasons you list. Bought the bike a week ago, 300+ miles on in right now. Zero issues. Got it at a considerable discount. The dealership I bought it from told me that the DCT models are flying off the floor, but they're struggling selling the manual shift models. Makes sense. I tested the DCT and really liked it, but like I explained in another thread, I have a Harley that will remain in the stable and I don't want to have to relearn each bike when I jump on it.

As for buying a bike in the crate that's a couple years old, I bought a 2014 Interceptor in 2017 that had been in the crate since 2013. The only thing I was concerned about was tire rot (Colorado is a fairly arid climate), so this same dealership slapped a new set of tires on it for me. Zero problems in the 2 years I owned it and I flogged the **** out of that bike. I don't think you or I will have any problems out of a Wing in the crate for two years.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally I would much rather buy a new crated bike than a new one that's been sitting on the dealer's floor for many months. Take a look at the bike's on the dealer's floor closely and you'll notice a lot of scuff marks on the saddlebags and seats as well as small dings. The longer the bike has been parked on the floor the more that potential customers, looky loos, and kids who have idiot parents who don't keep on them, are getting on and off the bikes. When it's in a crate the bike is well protected, until it's un-crated.
I know this would have bothered me too in the past. I am over that now though. :laugh:
To me, this just means a bigger discount. I just bought a NOS 2016 and got it for about 45% off the original MSRP even though the factory warranty started the day I took it home. It's got some scuffs and stuff, but nothing too drastic and it was a matte finish, so even harder to tell. My previous wing was spit and polish and chrome everything and I enjoyed that at the time. This time around I'm just riding and having fun.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Wait for 2020 to be announced. You never know until it is. The more knowledge you have the better. It going to be soon I think.

Then with that info, buy what you want. If it so happens the 2018 is what you want it’s now a model older so it’s discount will be more.

About 2 years ago it was common knowledge to get the 2018 fast because it was going to sell out in 6 months. Now you can buy a new one still in the crate in the 3rd model year run. The over hype is over.

The Honda manufacturing machine is churning.

·
Registered
582 Posts
When the '18's were first announced, I knew I wanted one. I waited a few weeks trying to gather as much information as possible though that was difficult at the time. I think I put in my order around November 2017 and was told it would be March 2018 before I got the bike. For all those months I fretted over my decision as I could have stayed with a Harley like the Road Glide Ultra or possibly went to the other side, BMW. Anyway, I knew the new Goldwing was the bike for me based on the available marketing material. Don't get me wrong, several friends that own older 'Wings pointed out this was a first year bike and was I certain I wanted to take that risk. I looked at them sitting on the 'Wings and said, isn't it Honda. Do you think they haven't wrung that tranny and motor out in testing as well as the new front end? I felt at the time that Honda would not release a hunk of junk at the top end of their motorcycle line. And you know what - they didn't. It's a world-class bike and I have enjoyed every second I ride it and a few when I don't. That said, I would say buy the '18-'19 now, save a bunch of bucks, and get to riding - Winter is coming. >:)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
X2

I want an "untouched" bike if possible.
The paint on these bikes scratch easy enough........I'd rather be the one to scratch it than pay for a bike already scratched.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just traded in my 2013 F6B for a new 2018 non tour with standard shift. The 18 was sitting on the dealer’s floor for almost two years. The dealer had it sitting in the corner on his sales floor and it just never sold. I got a great deal and the bike is in perfect shape. Not a scratch on it. I’m a happy rider.

Reactions: OldFatGuy

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Purchased a new 08 in 2010. Savings were substantial and aside from brake recall and regular maintenance that bike was a great bike. Current model costs more but has higher resale value 2-4 years later. That said, the initial savings aren't as big as they seem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you decide to buy the crated 2018, a good number of those units, mine included, had bad batteries. Get them to put a new battery, as Honda would NOT replace mine under warranty, even though the bike was only 9 months old. I had to buy a new battery, and ta da! it cranked up fine and has been running perfectly for almost a year. How Honda handled this tells me it might not be worth purchasing their extended warranty if they are simply going to deny fixing what should be warrantied items.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yea! The older battery (too be replaced) is a very good idea !!

Ronnie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone, really helpful advice! I will likely wait for the 2020's to see if there are any significant changes. Plus the colder the weather gets it feels like that only helps my bargaining position on a left over new bike.

Thanks for the advice on the battery as well, and regarding the benefits of an untouched virgin machine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts