GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out today to close the deal on an 09 comfort audio.

Been riding for 30 years and had a 1500 in the early 90's, but will be a newbie on a 1800.... can't wait!!!

Anyway.......my salesperson said he will cut me a deal on accessories with purchase of a new bike. I'm looking for advice on wired headsets for driver and passenger. My understanding is the Honda brand headsets are made by J & M, but premium headsets available. (from J & M). I have checked out the J & M website, but want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

I'm sure this is not a new topic, but I am running out of time and would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
429 Posts
EdSets

Heading out today to close the deal on an 09 comfort audio.

Been riding for 30 years and had a 1500 in the early 90's, but will be a newbie on a 1800.... can't wait!!!

Anyway.......my salesperson said he will cut me a deal on accessories with purchase of a new bike. I'm looking for advice on wired headsets for driver and passenger. My understanding is the Honda brand headsets are made by J & M, but premium headsets available. (from J & M). I have checked out the J & M website, but want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

I'm sure this is not a new topic, but I am running out of time and would appreciate any input.
My wife and I enjoy our EdSets http://www.edsets.com/. They were economical and quite easy to self install in our SyMaxII Flip style helmets. They are very quiet on the road with the foam cover and rubber sock over the mic. I do not need the mike mutes as they are very quiet.

I also think that J&M website is worth checking out, since they have various alternatives including Bluetooth wireless options. They certainly have the most selections.

If you can install yourself, I would purchase aftermarket than through the dealers OEM's. Your choice.

I am envious on your new wing! I couldn't wait and nabbed a 2008 for quite a discount last year!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought a '09 in January w/J&M...... there might be better headsets out there - but, mine work & work great ! J&M are the only ones I've had experience with - so, maybe somebody with more brands under their belt could give better feed back to ya !

Congrats on your new wing !

Dave / Silver '09 / Farmington, MO

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rather then paying dealer discounted full price , I am sure you can get a better deal from companys like wing stuff , direct line ...ect

many of them offer helmets with the stuff installed by factory trained personel. I did my own helmet install on a Nolan , its not reall hard but I wasnt happy with the end result. If I needed to return a helmet after they installed it due to fit or sound quality I could have now I just have to live with it.

i have J&M elite in both helmets , sound is good and no wind noise

http://directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Helmets&str=4

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/224_goldwing_Headsets/des/

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=234

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The dealer is only going to offer the deal on what they have on the shelf while you are there, and not what may be found elsewhere.... That said, if you find a set of helmets that is what you conceder a good deal, I would go for it, and shop later for the headsets. He may surprise you with a really good deal.
:shrug:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help!!

Thanks for all the input. Been busy checking out websites. More options than I thought......

My salesperson just called me, we have an appointment after lunch. He said they handle handle J & M, but can get just about anything. If he can beat the prices I found on line, I will probablly go with the J & M elite series. I'm looking for better music quality, but trying to get away from earbuds. Love the sound of earbuds, but they tend to make my ears sore on long rides and they are a bit of a pain putting them in all the time.:shrug:

If he can't beat the online prices I found, it will give me more time for research and then purchase a on line. Again, thanks for the all the info!!

It just passed 45 degrees and is still warming up. A good day for a final ride on the FJR. I'm not trading it, will be wayyyy..... too busy riding the new wing!! :biggrin:

btw.......If you know anyone looking for a mint 2005 FJR1300 W/12k miles, let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought It !!!!

09 Comfort Black Cherry

Pick it up Thursday!!

He had the J & M elites in stock $500 + tax with cables.

Didn't think that was too bad. I will install myself.

Gotta get busy planning our first trip.

Rocky Mountains here we come!!!!

Keith and Lisa M.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don't forget to buy some nice earphones so you can actually hear your music. Edsets sells adapters so you can still talk but hear thru the earfones. No open helmet speakers will ever come close to earfones. There are lots to choose from. I wear Westone UM1s and love 'em. Check Quickdraw's thread "Holy sound quality, Batman" thread. More views than any other thread (in the whole world, I think!)
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100861&highlight=holy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't forget to buy some nice earphones so you can actually hear your music. Edsets sells adapters so you can still talk but hear thru the earfones. No open helmet speakers will ever come close to earfones. There are lots to choose from. I wear Westone UM1s and love 'em. Check Quickdraw's thread "Holy sound quality, Batman" thread. More views than any other thread (in the whole world, I think!)
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100861&highlight=holy
Exactly my point, that's why I spent $80 / helmet for the IMC headsets installed WITH cables instead of the $250+ for the J&M. I can add molded earphones and the Edset adapters and still be cheaper than the J&M Elite.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go with the J&M. If you can afford it, buy a new helmet that is designed to accomodate the headset, you'll never regret it.

My wife and I are on our 3rd set of Arai helmets and wouldn't go back to anything else, all day comfort is worth the money. This set was designed for the intercoms and works much better that the other sets that we had. The biggest difference is not having the clamp on the side of the helmet where the mic boom and cable attach. When you turn your head to look to the left there is no clamp to drag or catch on your jacket, it's a small issue, but an issue none the less.

Remember, it's the salesman's job to extract as much profit out of the sale as possible, he's not your friend or best buddy, he's a salesman. They're not going to sell anything at a loss because they like you or are greatful for your business, they want more of your business (aka money) NOW.

If you can wait until some rally comes around that you can attend you will get a much better deal, or get them on-line.

We purchased ours from Sierra Electronics a year ago for about $1200 for the pair. A lot of money yes, but so far it was been worth it. They're now about $530 each for the Arai SZ/C helmet, Elite headset, and lower cord. So for $30 more than what the dealer wants for just the headset you'll get new color matched SNELL rated helmets with the Elite headsets and lower cord. If you add in the sales tax you'll pay at the dealership it's even money, and they are offering free shipping!

Congradulations on the new Wing! Enjoy.

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
headsets

I've used both the Honda and J&M and I have found the top of the line J&M sets have a fuller quality sound and a wider frequency range. You need this quality when your ears get old.

Congrats on the new 09. I'm going to get another one when they move it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts