GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can go on cycletrader and still find brand new 2018 DCT Tours all over the country, and they are selling for super low prices right now. My question is, if I find one at a dealer in another state, is it possible to have my local Honda dealer (which is more than likely a power sports place that sells more brands than just Honda) ship it to them, and would I be able to get it for the same price? I'd much rather give them the business and take it to them for servicing (when it needs it), than taking a road trip to the other dealership. Have any of you done this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can go on cycletrader and still find brand new 2018 DCT Tours all over the country, and they are selling for super low prices right now. My question is, if I find one at a dealer in another state, is it possible to have my local Honda dealer (which is more than likely a power sports place that sells more brands than just Honda) ship it to them, and would I be able to get it for the same price? I'd much rather give them the business and take it to them for servicing (when it needs it), than taking a road trip to the other dealership. Have any of you done this?
If so there would be a fee to transport time the local location... A dealer trade is a fine for one trade. They would have to give them a bike of like value they have low stock of.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
why not have a conversation with your local dealer and explain that you want to support them and see what they can do to get you an 18 DCT. Then you will need to determine if the cost difference is acceptable after you add the cost to go get the bike from an out of state location. Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would pose the question to your local dealer. I have purchased most of my vehicles out of state because the local dealers have not been competitive... after speaking with ‘my’ local Honda dealer, prior to purchase, was told they would be happy to provide any services required...but would not price match. Just my experience... B.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
If you want to use your local dealer, have them do the search.

If they are interested in your business, they will likely do a search and may also be able to find other new ones that aren't on cycletrader.

If you give'em a shot at it and don't like what they are able to offer then you can still fall back and do your own search.

·
Registered
313 Posts
AFAIK, Honda still has 2018 GWs in their warehouse/distribution center... So your local dealer shouldn't have to dealer-trade for one -- they can get a new-in-crate one within a few days/week.

The real question is: will they give you the deal you want? I worked with four dealers before making my purchase. There was about a $7,000 difference between the least-expensive and most-expensive deal. Some dealers simply don't seem to want to make a sale, in my experience.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Supporting the local dealer could add value when it comes to parts, service, and advice and the dealer should be able to get a little for that. Often buying at the lowest possible price leaves one or both parties unsatisfied and in my experience that party is the buyer. I've sold stuff, at times including Honda cars and motorcycle parts, most of my working life and one of the first things a good manager taught me was the "best deal" had little to do with numbers. The best deal he explained was when both parties were happy with the deal. I recall how upset a customer was one time when he actually was staring at a buyer's order for an Accord lower than I had ever seen and he still thought we were holding out on him. He got up and stormed out to my bewilderment. God placed me in a dealership where I could learn to sell and still sleep at night and I learned a lot about human nature. Then the management changed and I couldn't work there anymore.

Anyway, I'd give the local dealer the opportunity to match the out of state dealer price or get close. That way you both tried to be happy. Good luck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Supporting the local dealer could add value when it comes to parts, service, and advice and the dealer should be able to get a little for that. Often buying at the lowest possible price leaves one or both parties unsatisfied and in my experience that party is the buyer. I've sold stuff, at times including Honda cars and motorcycle parts, most of my working life and one of the first things a good manager taught me was the "best deal" had little to do with numbers. The best deal he explained was when both parties were happy with the deal. I recall how upset a customer was one time when he actually was staring at a buyer's order for an Accord lower than I had ever seen and he still thought we were holding out on him. He got up and stormed out to my bewilderment. God placed me in a dealership where I could learn to sell and still sleep at night and I learned a lot about human nature. Then the management changed and I couldn't work there anymore.

Anyway, I'd give the local dealer the opportunity to match the out of state dealer price or get close. That way you both tried to be happy. Good luck.
Dave,

I respectfully beg to differ.

When I went to my local dealer - the one close to my house and a family run dealer in business for decades - I informed the experienced sales person I wanted a deal in which we would both be UNHAPPY. A deal in which they felt they sold the '19 DCT Tour for too little, and I felt I paid too much. :) We struck a deal.

Tim

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I had an issue after riding my new 2018 GW Tour Blue home over 700 miles from the purchasing dealer. I had scruff marks where both my knees hit the MC. Also just in front of my crotch were scratches from me duck walking the bike. I took the bike to a local Honda dealer and they took pictures and contacted Honda. Honda replaced the plastic parts in question under warranty. I'd try a warranty claim.
First time I've ever quoted myself! LOL

My wing was bought 700 miles away. The warranty claim for the paint issue was at a dealer 20 miles away. The local dealer didn't bat an eye to help me and did a very good job for me. BUT they were not competitive on buying the wing price. And another local dealer I bought my last GW before this one wasn't competitive at all either. I told them they could look at the price I was getting online from Russellville Honda and he said he couldn't come close to that price. Plus Russellville worked with me on the price of the accessory adds both in the price of the accessory and the labor to install. And no broken tabs or scratched parts from the install. The head mechanic who installed the parts also came out before I rode away and went over items with me and answered questions. I LIKE the place.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I also prefer to do business with the guy who will offer a fair deal, NOT the next guy who asks a lot more but is willing to match a better offer. I’ve purchased from Russellville and was pleased with the transaction. They want to sell bikes. All my local dealers added on thousands of “extras” and were happy with me leaving empty handed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's the way dealers are in Oregon. Mention the word "deal" and they look at you like you have 2 heads.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
no

Reactions: Red

·
Vendor
16,809 Posts
My question is, if I find one at a dealer in another state, is it possible to have my local Honda dealer (which is more than likely a power sports place that sells more brands than just Honda) ship it to them, and would I be able to get it for the same price?
Seriously ... do you think your local dealer is gonna "suck up" those shipping charges without passing them along to someone else ???

Many buyers will fly in, Uber to the dealer, and ride home. Better yet, buy one from a dealer even farther away, and get that one !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of the guys have it right here - I bought my 18 leftover from a dealer 250mi. away - my local guy was unwilling to do anything similar, but happy to have the warranty/service work. I have a trailer and did a day trip for the bike, but if you don't have a trailer, just add about $600 in your calculations, which is about what it costs to transport any bike from anywhere in the US.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don’t think they’d get one from another deal to sell to you at a lower price. Big question is do they have exactly what you want in stock ? If they do chances of them negotiating are good. Tell them about the price you can get elsewhere and offer to pay some amount plus the additional that would cost you to travel there and bring back yourself or have transported. $500-1000 seems fair. Personally flying to another state and riding home sounds good but matters how much your tine is worth. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tell them about the price you can get elsewhere and offer to pay some amount plus the additional that would cost you to travel there and bring back yourself or have transported. $500-1000 seems fair. Personally flying to another state and riding home sounds good but matters how much your tine is worth. My 2 cents
Why? That doesn't actually cost the dealer anything if they're not transporting it. It seems silly and pointless to start negotiations by offering to pay more than you have to.

If dealer A can sell if for $X, then dealer B can sell it for $X.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Obviously ask if they will meet the other guys price first but it’s not x if you have to pay for travel and take time. They know that it’s x plus so you’d be paying the same. This is of course is if you tell them they have the exact bike you want to start with. I work with dealers by speaking to sales manager and asking them to send me an out the door price in writing and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new still crated 2018 last week at a dealer 136 miles from home. My local dealer would not price match on the same bike, year and model. I saved $3100. and it cost me the price of breakfast and 19 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I don't quite understand the dealership network. There are obviously A LOT of brand new 2018 models still on the market from various dealers around the country. If the bike I want (which basically means, the color I want) isn't available at a dealer that would be considered in my local area, I'm thinking they could just do a dealer reallocation whereas the same price applies, they just relocate the bike to my local dealership. Honda actually did this with a CBX I bought back in 1980. It was a brand new, still in the crate 1979 model that was actually at a dealership several hundred miles away and they shipped it to a local dealer. Didn't charge me a penny to do this either...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a new still crated 2018 last week at a dealer 136 miles from home. My local dealer would not price match on the same bike, year and model. I saved $3100. and it cost me the price of breakfast and 19 gallons of gas.
I would do this in a heartbeat...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts