GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on buying a GPS , I want it to be water prof , able to down load a route from Microsoft streets & trips , Voice guidance directions . Hear the directions in my headset . I have a MP3 running most of the time .

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Hutch,
You may be able to get a good deal on a 2610 which will do all the things you are looking for. It is not the latest and greatest, but it is one of the most solid and reliable units out there. I'm not sure they are being produced any more.

None of the Garming units, or any others for matter, can load waypoints and routes directly from Streets and Trips. But, there are some good programs that will do the conversion for you. I use S&T all the time. I then use GPSU to convert the info from S&T format to Garmin. It is one step and happens much quicker than I can explain it.

I'm really happy with my 2610.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have to agreee with CJS the 2610 just does everything you could want touch screen operation makes it easy on the bke has all the features you want and very affordable, look on e-bay foe a new one about 290.00to 320.00 new , I have one on bike just love it also use it in cars, snowman

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
OK i have a stupid question and have never owned any GPS system so maybe i am totally misunderstanding the whole thing

lots of folks talk about buying memory cards for thier Garmin units then they have to get on a computer to get part of the country onto the card for the trip they are planning. my question is why doesn't Garmin sell the memory cards already loaded with various parts of the country to save computer idiots like me a lot of trouble ?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
That's exactly why they made the 2620 model - this unit was designed to be totally self-sufficient and required no computer connection at all. (In fact, it didn't ship with any software for the PC) While they still wanted to have a unit with pre-loaded maps, the hard drives used in the 2620 gave them troubles. It wasn't until the cost of memory dropped low enough that it was feasible for them to pre-load all of the map data on the units before shipping.

All of their new units have pre-loaded maps. The 276c & 376c are the only current 'motorcycle-compatible' units that still use memory cartridges.

The current mapset will fit onto one 2GB CF card for the 2610 and the prices for memory keep dropping all the time. Unfortunately, the GPSMap units (276 & 376) use a proprietary memory module, compatible with the solid-state chart modules that are sold for marine use (the primary application for these models)

www.getfeetwet.com reportedly still has refurbished 2610s for $385 and new for $460. This is not a bad unit for the bike, but I wouldn't buy one from eBay, simply because you'll have better chance for warranty support from a reputable vendor, especially since this unit has been discontinued.

Hutch, since you have an MP3 player playing most of the time, you're probably going to want the voice prompts connected to the intercom system. This will set you back about $120 and a mounting system will run you from about $45 to nearly $500, depending on where and how you want it mounted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Actually Garmin did that originally, but they were waaayyyyy to proud of their little pre-loaded memory cards (cost way too much).

Much better solution to let the customer load what they need.

I've got a Garmin GPS Map 276C with a 512meg memory card. I can hold just about everything west of the Mississippi River on that card, which is farther than I would typically drive on a trip. Modified the load on it for a trip earlier this year from Seattle to Nova Scotia and back - all the northern US and all of Canada. After the trip I put my "default" set of maps back in.

I carry a laptop while traveling, so it is no problem to modify the loaded map set if/when I need to. But properly planned in advance, I can load everything I need for most any trip I would consider taking.

Carl

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Here is a link for one on e-bay new, http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-StreetPilot- ... 0038586775
I like the 2610 for bike because it uses compact flash I just got a compact flash 2 gig for 50.00 it is also 150x so I can use it in the camera, the hard drive models have had lots of problems on bikes with the bumping the hard drive a lot, lots of guys will say there fine but lots have found out the hard way, the motorcycle mount is 50.00 and it comes with power cable and mount thats all you need , you will like all the features of the 2610

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I am still looking myself. I have not been able to justify one when the paper maps do me well enough. And hopefully the GPS I pickup will not be too much out of date. I still like the 2610 for its durability and past performance. I do not know too much about the newer models. I checked out what Jon said and did see the 2610 at getfeetwet.com for 384. That looks to be a great deal, but for a little more is a newer model what one really wants?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for Garmin 2610 owners manual and accessories

I just purchased a used Garmin 2610 from a co-worker but it is the unit only. No manual, disks or cords. If anyone has any of these items that they would be interested in selling please contact me [email protected]. Thank you
Ed

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
ED
you can download the manual from the Garmin Website, as for the software, I would think you will have to go to garmin for a copy of the software, you may be able to get a used map source program, but make sure you get the "UNLOCK" code, it will not work without it.

I've had the 2610, was a great unit with the 2GB CF card it held all of the USA. I have the Garmin 2720 now and like it a little better, the 2720 will allow you to download custom POIs and has the 3D feature, although I don't use it much. I wish the 2720 had transparent data fields like the 2610, but other than that the 2720 is better....I also have a 2007 Wing with the built in Nav and it seems to be a good unit with a few missing features, like being able to download routes and waypoints....but a good unit none the less, it'll do all I need and then some...

I used the RAM mounting system on my bikes in the past and they work real nice...the RAM mount along with the RAM motorcycle mount with the hard wire allowed me to remove the GPS from the bike without much trouble...I like Jon's mounting system, but I never had one, so I have no comment on it..

As for the IWay, well do a search of the posted threads and make your own evaluation there....

G

·
hutch said:
I'm looking for advice on buying a GPS , I want it to be water prof , able to down load a route from Microsoft streets & trips , Voice guidance directions . Hear the directions in my headset . I have a MP3 running most of the time .
I wonder if Lamont's iWay problems have kept everyone from mentioning it.

The iWay 500c has everything you want hutch.

- It is waterproof
- Using the GPSUtility you can download routes created in MS Streets & Trips
- It has visual and voice guidance directions
- You can plug it into your Auxillary plug and hear it over the speakers or headset
- It has a 20Gb MP3 player (I have 1200 songs on mine taking up less than 3Gb) If you are listening to the iWay's MP3 player, the voice command pauses the music, then returns to it. so you don't miss hearing your directions because of the music.

A lot of us have them and have had little or no problem with them.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Ed, you're going to need the 'unlock code' that registers your GPS to a copy of MapSource (more specifically, the map data included on the disk which you need to load onto the units' memory card. If you don't have the detailed maps on the memory card, you'll be left with a basemap-only unit that is only marginally usable). Without this, you won't be able to update your maps on the unit. The 2610 uses the full version of City Navigator, so worse case, you'll need to buy a new copy of it. I'm not sure what's going to happen when you run the unlock wizard on a unit that might already be registered and unlocked to a different owner...

You're right, Don - most people have not had the number of problems that LaMont has had with his iWay, but it's gotten a bad reputation. It has had more failures than other units though, so that has to be take taken into account when you're deciding what to purchase. Some people want the power and features and aren't afraid of living on the 'bleeding edge', where others are satisfied with other models that might not spend as much time on a UPS truck...

I would replace my iWay today with another if it failed, but that's just me :) - I've been spoiled...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
hutch,
We want a review of that Zumo as soon as you get it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
GPSU - converting S&T to Garmin

A couple of posts make reference to a utility that converts MS Streets&Trips files to Garmin. Can someone tell me where I can read more about this? Would love to use S&T to create routes for my SPIII.
Thanks-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts