GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if I can get Some different opinions. I want to buy salvage bikes, but was wondering if anyone whould buy them. Obviously If I showed pictures before the repairs that would explain the condition of the bike Originally.
So I was wondering, If the bike had a Salvage title, looked like any other bike of it's make and model, would you guys buy it without it not being any type of internet purchase? I'm Curious Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
NO WAY! I don't care what kind of a "great deal" it was. There are just too many potential problems with the frame, electrical and suspension to warrant taking the risk. If I wanted to buy a used bike there are plenty of good deals out there from owners who pampered their bike to take a risk on a salvage one. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't know if it works the same in other states, but if a California bike gets totaled and hauled off to salvage, the VIN is noted in the Department of Motor Vehicles data base and it will not be possible to get it registered ever again. The only option is to part the bike out, which is what the salvage yard would be doing anyway. I see no use in buying a totaled bike unless you want to use some of the goodies on your own bike and the cost of the totaled bike is less than the retail price of the combined goodies you will be taking off. I suppose you could buy a junker bike that has a VIN that can be registered and then building it back up with the parts off the totaled bike, but that just seems like too much work for what you might make off it. I would also be concerned about the quality of the bike that I would be selling to the poor schmoo that bought that "Frankenstein" Gold Wing. I do have some ethics. :roll:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Salvaged Bikes

Contrary to the prior posts, there is a very hot market for rebuilt bikes.
I have personally rebuilt two of them and made good money on them. You have to be careful what you buy. Nothing with frame damage. You would be surprised what little damage can cause a bike to be sold as salvage. I have seen just a few dents and scratches cause an adjuster to total a bike. A few parts off ebay and it is good as new. Where you are and the laws there is an important issue. There is a dealer in Beaumont Tx. that deals STRICKLY with salvage and cant keep them on the floor. You need to get some education on values and regional saleability for the type of bike before you dive in. I love it and am building a shop big enough to do some part time fixin up and selling.

good luck
allan

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I think most of you who have been around for awhile know I totaled Rio last November. I bought the bike back from the insurance company and had it restored back to original condition by a Honda dealer in Rockwall. I wound up making around $1200 on the deal. I first had to get a Salvage Title and then after it had been put back together, furnish the state with a complete list of all parts replaced and then they issued a Rebuilt Title. That is what Rio had when I sold him the first part of this year.

I may have lost around $1000 because of the Rebuilt Title, but still came out a bit ahead on the whole deal. Rio had 64,000 miles on him when sold for $12,0002, and I bet he goes for another 100,000 without a bit of trouble.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Littlebeeper said:
If the bike had a Salvage title, looked like any other bike of it's make and model, would you guys buy it without it not being any type of internet purchase? I'm Curious Thanks
Yeah... for about 50% of the market value. You're better off buying salvage bikes and parting them out. More money in that than trying to sell them as complete bikes.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Beeper - I have bought three with salvage/rebuilt titles over time. All were heavily discounted as compared to normally titles bikes of like make and year, which is why I bought them.

Two of the three turned out to be real lemons - one was a V65 Magna and one of the most crappy riding motorcycle I ever sat on. Another was a Voyager XII, and although it rode OK, there was hidden cosmetic damage that kept showing up, like fairings cracking, wiring shorting, etc. The last was a Susuki Calvacade that had be put together by a real pro, and that bike is still running ten years later without a problem.

So, would I buy one? Sure - at about 75 cents on the dollar. Which means I would take a rebuilt 01 wing for about seven grand. Does not leave much room for profit for a rebuilder.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If ya want a bike to ride for a couple of years and understand that you'll have to find a willing buyer when you're done with it then it might be for you!!

Be careful of the potential issues with a totaled bike, even if it's just "plastic rash" that caused it to be totaled the bike, it still may have other damage or alignment issues you can't see!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts