GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumour has it that 2004 will officially be the last year for the GL1800 and the Gold Wing name. Apparently Honda got fed up with all the complaints, lawsuits, recalls, and fixes relating to the GL1800 and will cease production. Sources say to look for a 2005 CBR/ST/GL hybrid geared strictly toward the (35-50) post baby boomer crowd.

IMHO... I would venture to guess Honda figures the younger market segment won't be as anal, or outspoken as the current "geezer" group which has slowly but surely dwindled away the Goldwing reputation. Some sources say the more sleeker, more advanced (programmable ECU) model design will be called the GLX2000 (New American Tourer), which makes sense to me if you look at Honda's past history of ending a model production run.

Rumour also has it the bike has been in the design, engineering, production, and testing phase for the last (2) years in a "secret" overseas location. Apparently most of the "molds are poured", and the "dies are cast", so it's just a matter of shipping the tooling and jigs over here for the beginning production runs to start in mid July of 2004. Sources say this should be one awesome bike that will be a "catagory killer" for several years to come.

IMHO... I think I'll go ahead and run the wheels off the bike I have for at least a couple more years until there is an abundant parts supply, and all the bugs have been worked out of the new model. Heck... who knows, Harley may have a souped up (VROD based) Touring bike by then and I'd have to give that a try.

Disclaimer: The above rumours can't be verified and may be total B.S., so we may never know the truth until Hal can show us all hard proof and pics from the upcoming dealer show. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Heeere fishy fishy fishy . . . Come to the nice troll . . . .

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
RodeHard said:
Disclaimer: The above rumours can't be verified and may be total B.S.
You Betcha! Sounds like total B.S. to me. :shock: Mother Honda won't do away with, or change the name of its flagship, no matter how many problems they've had in the past. Especially an anniversary edition. They may make it bigger, & better, & badder though.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would think if you took the ST out of this..."CBR/ST/GL hybrid geared strictly toward the (35-50) post baby boomer crowd" you would have the ST1300. I think the ST1300 was a mix of the GL and the CBR. I dont know about where everyone else lives but down here in Orlando the ST1300 hasnt seemed to have taken off all that well. I know they had the ST1100 but that bike also didnt seem to be very popular. Matter of fact while looking for my Gold Wing I found that the dealers I went to didnt stock the ST at all. I was told by two of the 4 dealers I went to that they only order the bike when someone wants one. Now thats what I was told, it may be they cant get one. I know that is the case with the FJ1300. The dealers cant get that bike. In my opinon I have to agree that I cant see Honda getting rid of the "Gold Wing". Maybe they will name it something else but I cant see them revamping the bike all that much. A friend and I both have new Gold Wings and just about every time we stop for gas someone will ask us about the bikes. While they do seem to have had problems with the bike, I still think the bike stands out above anything on the market. I have always owned Honda's but I did look around at other companies when I felt I needed a touring bike. No matter how hard I looked I kept coming back to the Gold Wing. I thought I wanted the Yamaha Venture Royal but found the dealer didnt stock it. I was probably wrong but I felt if the dealer didnt stock it he must have felt he couldnt sell it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The new 2005 Wing will come with premolded cracks...so everyone has to find something else to talk about :D

M

·
0 Posts
Look Ma no wheels

Rumor also has it that the new model will also have the new wheeless look. This is suppose to also be done to stop the HUGE problem that they had trying to come up with a good one and the Mileage issue. Thanks again to the great Enginering Staff at MOTHER HONDA. :beer2: :p :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Love my 02 1800. BUT..the only issue I had, was having the ECM redone...even though I didn't need it.
I'm a happy camper.
I WILL NOT abandon Mother Honda. (I do think about the HD products now and then)
As long as the Honda flag ship can carry two up and tour all day long....thats my machine !!
Lets' ride em' !
www.pashnit.com
IRMac :biker:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
GaryG said:
The new 2005 Wing will come with premolded cracks...so everyone has to find something else to talk about :D
Gary, you may be onto something here! You know the reason for the lines that they strike when concrete is poured...Hopefully, the concrete will crack on the lines. With pre-molded cracks, MH will know exactly where the cracks will be, and have a 'fix' already in place at the dealers. :lol:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If I have ever seen a waste of space on this site this thread (initial post) is it...............

No offense but why even waste your time posting something you know is total garbage?

Must be a slow day eh?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Brian..

I could not agree more. My first thought was that I should not reply so as not to encourage this kind of post but there are just some people who are so anal retentive and so full of themselves that they cannot help showing their true colors. That is what happens when they get rid of their training wheels. I guess we should be thankful for that. At least we know where they are. Now if you will excuse me this old geezer who helped bring down the best motorcycle in the world is going to take his new 04 Candy Red for a ride.

M

·
0 Posts
Good job on the initial post, at times we all need a good sense of humor, if you don`t have one then no one forces you to read the post any furture than the initial one. It`s your option. But it seems that a lot of people see humor in different ways.That is what choice is all about. Lynn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts