GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a break out harness for 2001 to 2017 Goldwings, this breakout harness plugs in under the seat and gives you access to the wires in the circuits for Tail light, Brake lights, Left Turn signals, Right Turn signals, Ground and Trunk actuator.

This harness allows you to easily connect to those lighting circuits without having to cut into or splice directly into the bikes OEM wire harness when adding additional lights or trailer connection.

The trunk actuator circuit connected with a normally open switch that has battery power on one side of the switch allows you emergency access to the trunk should you lock your keys inside, just hide the switch out of view, so curious folks do not monkey with it and open your trunk when you are not around.

A wiring diagram will be provided.

Now there is no reason to run wiring from a trailer isolator under the seat all the way up to under the trunk lid liner to connect to tail lights or brakes, just do it all under the seat.

Cost is $25.00 which includes shipping from Florida to the lower 48 states, add $8.00 US if shipping to Canada.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Neat idea.

I assume I would need a (hidden) momentary-on switch for triggering the trunk release. Correct?

And, will that feature work if the ignition is on? My wife seems to always forget to put something in the locked trunk, but ONLY after I have already started the bike. My key FOB will not pop the trunk while the bike is running.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neat idea.

I assume I would need a (hidden) momentary-on switch for triggering the trunk release. Correct?

And, will that feature work if the ignition is on? My wife seems to always forget to put something in the locked trunk, but ONLY after I have already started the bike. My key FOB will not pop the trunk while the bike is running.
Yes, hide the switch, mine is on the inside of the left passenger cubby, as far back as I could get it, you have to put your eye right down to the open cubby to see it. You could put it under the seat, but that would require having tools to pull the seat and all of my carry along tools are in my trunk or saddlebags so that would be very frustrating if the trunk was locked with the keys inside.

Added unintentional bonus, yes, the trunk unlatch works with the bike running, unlike the key fob which does not pop the trunk when the bike is running.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is a something for folks thinking of adding a trailer.

Plug and play trailer set up using the break out in post 1.
I can make them as 4 wire set ups or 5 wire set ups using industry standard rubber molded flat connectors 4 pin or 5 pin.

The 4 pin version will use a powered and fused isolator / converter to protect the bike's wiring and convert the bike's 5 wire system to a 4 wire system used on many trailers.
The 5 pin version will use a powered and fused isolator to work with trailers that have separate brake and turn signals.

Both the 4 pin and 5 pin come complete with Isolator and harness from the isolator to connect to the trailer plug.

The 4 pin version is $58.00 + the $25.00 break out, = $83.00 delivered to the lower 48 add $8.00 to ship to Canada.
The 5 pin version is $88.00 + the $25.00 break out, = $113.00 delivered to the lower 48 add $8.00 to ship to Canada.

I can also make custom trailer hook ups, for those with Bushtecs or trailers using round connectors, those prices will be determined at the time of purchase due to market fluctuations on the parts required.

Complete install instructions are available with photos, using this link https://1drv.ms/w/s!AjBTCIjW9IMlnCd3tVSRAfEVT_bE
Pictured is the 5 pin version.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I love this connector, made it very easy to install trailer wiring. Still thinking about how I will the trunk actuator. My wife like many always need the trunk opened after I start the bike..

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
I love this connector, made it very easy to install trailer wiring. Still thinking about how I will the trunk actuator. My wife like many always need the trunk opened after I start the bike..
You can unlock the trunk with the fob while it’s running, she just has to pull the handle to open it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update; Thanks to Mountain Rider

I now have the same set up available for the 2001 to 2005 1800 GLs.

Same pricing, but buyer beware that if you buy a harness for a 2001 to 2005 it will not work on the 2006 to 2017 1800 GLs. The connectors are the same, but the pin out on the connectors are different between the two year ranges. (2001 to 2005 and 2006 to 2017)

All buyers must state the year model they need the harness for so I can be sure to build the correct product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice job figuring out which brand of connector to make that with. I made a trailer isolation relay for my last bike using a Chinese optically isolated (Arduino type) relay board then figured out what Bushtec was using for their trailer. Never did do a break out type plug like yours though. I just spliced onto the existing wires, soldered, and shrink wrapped to get to the trailer relay. Got all anal retent using high ampacity high temp flexible silicone wire. I like your break out maneuver though.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts