GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody has plans to visit CA you better do it before the State burns to the ground. I live about 90 miles from the town of Mariposa and they had evacuated the entire town and surrounding area. Yosemite doesn't have any fires right now but the smoke is so heavy that you can hardly see Half Dome, lots of the waterfalls, etc. As of this morning their were 100 structures burned and 65 of those were homes and only about 10-15 % of containment. Fire crews are really spread thin because their are 3-4 other bad fires in the area. So far the Mariposa fire has consumed about 75,000 acres. We are getting smoke/ashes where I live in Sanger. :crying:

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
if anybody has plans to visit ca you better do it before the state burns to the ground. I live about 90 miles from the town of mariposa and they had evacuated the entire town and surrounding area. Yosemite doesn't have any fires right now but the smoke is so heavy that you can hardly see half dome, lots of the waterfalls, etc. As of this morning their were 100 structures burned and 65 of those were homes and only about 10-15 % of containment. Fire crews are really spread thin because their are 3-4 other bad fires in the area. So far the mariposa fire has consumed about 75,000 acres. We are getting smoke/ashes where i live in sanger. :crying:
stay safe !! Was out west couple years ago and smoke was so bad that couldnt see the sky at nite in mountains( was in dinosaur national park ) park has some of the best sky views because its so dark. Prayers for those that lost everything !

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
134 Posts
My wife and I rode up to Redding on Monday, toured northern National Parks in the area for a couple of days, and stayed in Corning on Wednesday night, before returning to Southern California on Thursday. As I was taking some gear off the Wing around 8pm, ash was falling from the sky and landing on the Wing. I quickly covered it. I think I will wait a week before I ride up to Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite NP. We came across a small fire, about five acres, as we were riding S/B on the 5 fwy north of Bakersfield.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I rode up to Redding on Monday, toured northern National Parks in the area for a couple of days, and stayed in Corning on Wednesday night, before returning to Southern California on Thursday. As I was taking some gear off the Wing around 8pm, ash was falling from the sky and landing on the Wing. I quickly covered it. I think I will wait a week before I ride up to Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite NP. We came across a small fire, about five acres, as we were riding S/B on the 5 fwy north of Bakersfield.
It seems like the Central Valley/Coast is surrounded by fires in every direction.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It seems like the Central Valley/Coast is surrounded by fires in every direction.

It is not even traditional fire season yet. Wait until September and October, when the Santa Ana winds are kicking in. Looks like it will be another bad fire season in California. :frown2:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Between moonbeam and annual fires, I'm not sure there is much hope for California. Sure not the state I grew up in back in the 50's and 60's. Kinda sad....:frown2:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If anybody has plans to visit CA you better do it before the State burns to the ground. I live about 90 miles from the town of Mariposa and they had evacuated the entire town and surrounding area. Yosemite doesn't have any fires right now but the smoke is so heavy that you can hardly see Half Dome, lots of the waterfalls, etc. As of this morning their were 100 structures burned and 65 of those were homes and only about 10-15 % of containment. Fire crews are really spread thin because their are 3-4 other bad fires in the area. So far the Mariposa fire has consumed about 75,000 acres. We are getting smoke/ashes where I live in Sanger. :crying:

Better get your house listed and get out of there soon.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better get your house listed and get out of there soon.
My buyer has submitted all of his paperwork to his loan company so now it's just a matter of playing the waiting game. :crying:

Reactions: Clamper

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
My buyer has submitted all of his paperwork to his loan company so now it's just a matter of playing the waiting game. :crying:
GOOD LUCK. MOVING SUCKS ! ...... BUT IT SHOWS YOU ALL THE STUFF YOU REALLY DIDNT NEED :surprise::laugh:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I remember this growing up in SoCal.... Fires in late summer and fall. Then the winter rains would wash the hillsides down and close PCH and canyon roads. The rains cause the brush to grow nice and lush, then the Santa Ana winds dry them out and the fires begin again.

I use to sit on the roof of the house and watch them at night, then ride up to the areas during the day to see how close I could get.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GOOD LUCK. MOVING SUCKS ! ...... BUT IT SHOWS YOU ALL THE STUFF YOU REALLY DIDNT NEED :surprise::laugh:
I had 40+ yrs. of hoarding ( I called it collecting) out in my garage, but I will say whenever something needed to be repaired on the cars, motorcycle, house, etc. I always had a fix for it in the garage. My wife was amazed that I started at one end in the garage and started to dispose of everything. I should have charged admission for folks to come into the garage (museum) and look around. :laugh:
Thanks for the well wishes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts