GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Oh Boy! That's going to make life interesting (to put it mildly) in almost every non-urban area of Northern California!
:surprise:

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
527 Posts
We never had our power interrupted today. Not near as windy as they were predicting earlier in the week, in fact, almost no wind until about 2:30 in the afternoon. PG&E being overly cautious after their previous questionable judgement calls that cost more than a few homes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not familiar with this situation at all... but how does turning off the power make it less likely of wildfires? Won't people still have to eat and bathe and somehow have to heat that food and water? Will camping stoves or whatever be safer than electric? Again, I am just now hearing this for the first time, but that is my off the top first 5 minute thoughts. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
What am I missing?
The wind speed. Commonly 40 MPH and often much higher. 80 MPH would not be unusual. Blows down power lines that then ignite grasslands and forests that haven't seen any rain for half a year or more. The fires can be so explosive (literally) that they can become damned near impossible to contain and often impossible to escape from. Until you've experienced it, which I hadn't until I moved to California, it's really hard to even imagine. Think Category 1 or 2 Hurricane, with clear blue skies, high temperatures, extremely low humidity, but without any of the water. It can be serious $h!t indeed!

Picture is of Avalon Harbor during Santa Ana conditions. Those little specs you see near the lower right side of the picture are humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
My daughters family with a 5-1yo may be without power for up to 5 days, Newcastle. They have a well, so no water either, using the rv for cooking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The wind speed. Commonly 40 MPH and often much higher. 80 MPH would not be unusual. Blows down power lines that then ignite grasslands and forests that haven't seen any rain for half a year or more.
Wow, I guess I always knew about the lack of rain and dryness, but didn't realize high winds were that common nor that high. Thanks for the info and hope everyone there stays safe.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Sometimes we really don't know how lucky we are!!!!!!!!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
We never had our power interrupted today. Not near as windy as they were predicting earlier in the week, in fact, almost no wind until about 2:30 in the afternoon. PG&E being overly cautious after their previous questionable judgement calls that cost more than a few homes.
Do you mean the judgement calls to leave on the power grid? Californians can't have it both ways. PG&E was blamed for not shutting down the grid and paid a high price for it. Now California will pay the price of placing the blame for a natural event on a company.

·
Registered
527 Posts
MiWinger, I do not disagree with you at all. The proverbial pendulum is swinging fully the other way. First there is not enough action, now, it seems they are using a sledgehammer approach instead of a surgical approach to address a real issue. At some point in the future, hopefully not to far, they will get to the optimal solution for a human vs nature problem.

I just want to ride...........

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I wonder how much the burglary rate will go up. How many accidents due to no street lights and stop lights. How many will die due to CO poisoning from running a portable generator in their garage. How many houses fires from unattended candles? One would hope the answer would be zero, but it won't be.

No gas stations. No ATMs. No phone after your battery dies if you don't have a landline. Best thing to do would be to leave the area during the 5 day blackout.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Wow, I guess I always knew about the lack of rain and dryness, but didn't realize high winds were that common nor that high. Thanks for the info and hope everyone there stays safe.

In Southern California they call'em the Santa Ana winds. Up in San Francisco South Bay area we had trees come down on cars or houses and at our place it took out the power and phone lines. It is rare but it happens.

LarryM - Good to see ya on here again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just saw in the news a 67 yr old fella on a oxygen generator died 12 minutes after PGE cut off power to his area :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just saw in the news a 67 yr old fella on a oxygen generator died 12 minutes after PGE cut off power to his area :(
my wife the RN was wondering about that, or other health machines that depend on elect power, sad.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It’s nothing but politics in my opinion. The insurance companies essentially sued the PG&E rate payers and won a large settlement. Now their electric bills will go up and their electric service will go down. Lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank. .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts