GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning a trip to CA next month and wanted to know how the weather is effecting riding conditions. My general route is north on east side of the state, northern CA, south on the PCH.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
In June riding conditions should be perfect everywhere in California. Hot in the desert, cool on the coast, no rain, lots of sun. With the low snow pack, the Sierra passes should all be open too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was planning a trip to CA next month and wanted to know how the weather is effecting riding conditions. My general route is north on east side of the state, northern CA, south on the PCH.
Expect " HOT" until you get to the coast! But it will be a different kind of hot than you are use to in TN being very dry. The wet Ld comfort works well here so get them! Probably over 100 degs but once you get within a few miles of the ocean it will be pleasant 60-70deg.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
...Probably over 100 degs but once you get within a few miles of the ocean it will be pleasant 60-70deg.
Don't be surprised to encounter much Colder weather than that along the coast... It may be 100F inland, yet down to 40F on some coastal sections. (Lot's of folk underdress for this ride during the summer)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Great time to ride ...Rain is extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Catch some of the passes through the sierras up though Yosemite or Tahoe or even further north to get some cool relief from the east side heat. Id say out of death valley unless you want to be "well done".

·
Banned
792 Posts
Where do you plan on entering the state to start your northern ride on the eastern side? You can take the 395 all the way north with a lot of nice places in between but down in the lower part it may be real warm as mentioned. Where do you plan on hooking up with the PCH and how far are you planning on taking it? This is a big state with a lot of options and you can easily put on 1,000 miles and see only part of what there is to offer.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
PCH will most likely be completely fogged in during June. Best time for PCH is winter, believe it or not...

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
PCH will most likely be completely fogged in during June. Best time for PCH is winter, believe it or not...

Yep, it's a crap shoot. I got lucky once, there was a big high pressure area sitting over nevada and it was clear and sunny all the way up the california coast in late june.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Yes this is so true and just the opposite of what most folks think. I live in the Fresno area and we ride over to the coast a lot in the winter to escape the Fresno fog.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Typically, June is getting warmer, but on the coast(at least in the south, we have what is called June gloom). It's where it is mostly overcast during the morning, and later in the morning, or early afternoon the marine layer burns off, and you have clear sunny skies. The past few weeks we've had very interesting weather. We've gone from 10 degrees below normal to 30 degrees above normal breaking records set in the 70's. Last weekend we were near Palm Springs, and it was 108 in the shade on Friday and Saturday. By Tuesday the daytime high was in the upper 70's. The effect of weather on riding conditions is just that passes will likely all be open because of the pittance of rain fall.

As said above, you may see fog on the coast, especially up north, but it could be clear. I had the opportunity two years ago to experience the clearest California coast up north I've ever even seen pictures of. Temps inland side of the mountain ranges can be quite high(read 110+) while temps on the coast will likely stay between the 50's and 80's.

LDComfort is a big helper for the dry southwest and deserts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies.

The last time I rode the PCH (south to north, August), I had a lot of fog, drizzle, and cool temps. It was a little disappointing after riding across the US to not see the "sunny CA coast". Maybe I should make it a south western states/PCH trip in the winter. I may go NM, UT, CO this trip???

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Does the road ever get icy?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Does the road ever get icy?
Ive never seen it cold enough, at least in my neck of the hwy from Morro bay to Monterey. That big air conditioner called the ocean keeps the temps pretty much the same year round.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Ive never seen it cold enough, at least in my neck of the hwy from Morro bay to Monterey. That big air conditioner called the ocean keeps the temps pretty much the same year round.
I agree, it would have to be a very rare occurence. I've never seen it icy.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I agree, it would have to be a very rare occurence. I've never seen it icy.
Ice along the coast is something I would not worry about. You would have a lot of stars lining up if it were to happen, and it would be ALL OVER the news.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts