GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious if anyone has lubricated their throttle and clutch cables, and, what is the process for doing so and which lubricant is best for such a task?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Well..I've lubed my throttle cable...but on the 2006 GL1800 the clutch is hydraulic...would be hard to lube that...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So how do lube the throttle cable?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah sometimes it's a bit difficult, but most folks are very helpful and quick to respond with helpful information. I appreciate that. There are a few that like to be funny and think they're responses are cute. I mostly ignore them cuz I figure they just like to generate attention to themselves.

Not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There is a real slick tool that the dirt bike guys use to oil there cables. It will work on a Wing also.

Go to your local dealer parts deptartment ask for "The oiling tool to oil the cables on a motorcycle" and they should have it.

This is a link to the oiler (the only site I can find is from England) but this is the "Motorcycle Cable Oiler" that I'm talking about.

http://www.toolparts.co.uk/acatalog/Mot ... Tools.html

You should be able to find it at a motorcycle parts deptartment.

I have one of these and it works great. You use an oil like WD40 or whatever you like in an areosol can. You push the nozzle into the hole in the rubber piece while you have the cable adjuster spread and the cable inserted in the tool. It forces oil into the cable.

When I used to ride dirt bikes this was a weekly ritual. I would shoot oil in at the top of the cable and literally see oil run out of the bottom of the cable abt the carburetor.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Zonker, appreciate it bud.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks much

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think I saw something at the dealer, it was a kit that contained a spray can of compresed lube and a holder. You would disconect the cable, place it in the holder then saturate it with the spray lube. I didnt think it would be practicle with the GW due to only one cable needing it.

let us know what works for you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Here are 3 important notes about lubricating the throttle cable.

1) You have to split the throttle assembly on the right handlebar to get to the cable ends. (You need to disconnect the cable ends in order to use that oiler tool).

2) If you have the Rivco "stick on" illuminated controls, you need to remove them from at least one half of the assembly (could damage or may not lay back nice & flat when you re-stick them).

3) Possibly, if you have REG Risers the cables might possibly be so tight that it may be very difficult to disconnect them from the throttle pull.

I lubed mine a while back with the oiler tool. I did not have Reg Risers at the time, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not. I do have the Rivco lighted controls. I used a heat gun and a knife to seperate them from the lower half of the throttle housing. I had to use spray glue to re-attache them. They look okay.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Here'a another note to cable lubrication (from my experience).

It's been about 18 months since I took on that job and I remember it wasn't difficult...but it was a little "involved".

I recall the fact that I had "after market" heated grips presented a problem and I could't slide the throttle off the handlebar and it was pretty rusty/gruddy under the throttle grip (so I just pulled it off as far as I could and lubricated what I could get to).

Also...The small wires to the Rivco lighted controls presented a problem (if I recall, they wouldn't allow me to totally seperate the 2 halves of the housing). And....after reassembly, I was missing some of the lighted segments in the illuminated controls.

Also, I could only get the oiler on 1 cable (there are 2 cables), but I was able to get the little straw nozzle to the other cable and shoot lube into the cable).

I used an oil called Power Lube made by CRC.

I lubed the cables at about 45,000 miles and I must say I really didn't notice any difference from before and after (but it made me feel better). :D

I'm sure I have some photos on a floppy somewhere (didn't have CD or DVD then). I'll look for them tonight when I get home and post them if I find them.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Been using this for years. You can get just the tool or in a pack with the lube.
Any dealer can order it for you through Parts Unlimited or Tucker-Rocky. Hal may even carry it too or can get it.
http://www.protectall.com/cable_life.htm

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
bought a can of throttle cable lube at walmart, i think they might use it on lawnmowers

took out the 2 screws to split the throttle cable housing, used the plastic tube the came with the lube to spray it into the cables, it doesn't take much, work the throttle back and forth and lube again, made a very noticable difference on my bike at about 125,000 smiles

i also laid the bike on the left side and sprayed some silicone lube under the throttle sleeve, that was about 25,000 smiles ago and everything seems to b working very nice

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
cycledude said:

[/quote] i also laid the bike on the left side and sprayed some silicone lube under the throttle sleeve, that was about 25,000 smiles ago and everything seems to b working very nice[/quote]

GREAT IDEA! :yes1: :clap2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts