GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grettings all,

I am new at this but just took the ride of a lifetime with my father from Annapolis, MD to Cape Breton, NS, Canada. Great roads in PA following the Susquehanna River and up through the Poconos. Highways in New York through the Catskill and Adirondack Mountains were awesome! Can't recommend HWY from NY to Maine. Long, slow, bumpy roads killed any thoughts of enjoying that leg! Stay away from HWY 9 in Maine from Bangor to Calais too. It would have been a speedy ride (there are no cities along the road) but when we hit BAD weather there was no safety on the road and no place to get off. The road was pretty straight and boring too. Once we got to Nova Scotia the ride improved. Lots of great B&Bs to stay in as well as cheap, no frills campgrounds. I pulled a small cargo camper loaded down with tent, sleeping bags, camping gear and EVERYTHING ELSE my Dad's Road King couldn't haul. Cabot's Trail was a fun ride with lots of scenery. Probably would have been nice to ride it twice, once to stop, shop, and take pictures at the overlooks, and once to ENJOY THE WILD RIDE! Finally, a quick shout out to the folks at Clayton Park Campground on Lake Henry near Scranton, PA. Super relaxing campgrounds! 4 stars.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Did you ride cabot trail in reverse, did you stop and go whale watching,also the lobster fisherman bring in there catch? Did you go over on the CAT, or up and over the (Confederation Bridge) thru Prince Edward, Did you stop at any Lobster Shack?

Traffic isn't bad up there this time of the year.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
The East coast of Canada is simply spectacular! Everyone should put this on their Bucket List! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your trip Chief. My friend & I are headed up that way in a week or so - we've ridden Nova Scotia a couple times over the years; this time up our destination is Newfoundland.

James - the lobster season's over in NS now. The 'Fast Cat' stopped running last year; that ferry service had been heavily subsidized by the Canadian government and the new administration finally pulled the plug.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.......I have to disagree with your thoughts on Rt 9 from Bangor to Calais ME. It is rural, but its a good road and I really enjoy it. We all have different expectations when we travel....Let's ride !!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The "Cat" ferry is no longer in operation. It went belly up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts