GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From another discussion forum on this topic.

Much easier to get a perspective of the regional highways.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Just screwing around with Google Maps...

https://goo.gl/maps/ynGmARpgcXrqQhu38

Donner, Echo, Luther, Carson, Monitor, Ebbetts, Sonora, Tioga passes.

Nearly 900 miles to get there, two days of riding 675 miles, almost 750 miles home.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ren...2c42aba240!2m2!1d-118.4765094!2d37.819099!3e0
^ I added Hwy-120 "East Tioga Pass"... just Drove it last month in my truck, and it was beautiful; hardly any traffic, and pavement was in perfect condition.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, this isn't on the schedule for this year, but might be a getaway when the weather is miserable here next year.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
So, this isn't on the schedule for this year, but might be a getaway when the weather is miserable here next year.

That's too bad. I was in Reno for two weekends, Aug 15 to the 18th then back again Aug. 23 to 25. Rode around the Sierras first and came back to see a bunch of guys on the 24 in Downieville. Enjoyed a great lunch in Sierraville at Los Dos Hermanos for what I think are the best Chicken Chimichangas.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@biglefti posted a few photos from his epic ride he's on now of up that way from a few weeks ago.

My wife was 'Ooooh' when I showed them to her. So, I think it could be a two-up adventure.

·
Registered
701 Posts
--

I wondered a little why travel so many passes in a short time. Thing is by the time you get to pass #2 they all look alike. This happens any time I cross a bunch of passes in the same area. I just came back from doing CA Hwy. 36, 299, 96 (goes more north, then east), plus some others including 20/49. Several years ago, it was crossing bunches of E/W roads across WA starting with Hwy. 20 and others to the south. It's hard remembering the differences.

Of course we all have our own goals to reach. I should talk. This summer I traveled from Colorado to the east coast to run the Pig Trail, Tail of the Dragon, Back of the Dragon, Ohio's Dragon and Triple Nickel, plus one of the "curviest roads in the US" in Vermont. Rode a bunch of other places in the East and Midwest, then out to CA. I wanted to hit all five of the curviest in one summer.

We're kind of limited in AZ. As they say: AZ ain't no Arkansas.

By the way, they're doing construction on CA 36 at least through this summer.

--

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
--

I wondered a little why travel so many passes in a short time. Thing is by the time you get to pass #2 they all look alike. This happens any time I cross a bunch of passes in the same area. I just came back from doing CA Hwy. 36, 299, 96 (goes more north, then east), plus some others including 20/49. Several years ago, it was crossing bunches of E/W roads across WA starting with Hwy. 20 and others to the south. It's hard remembering the differences.

Of course we all have our own goals to reach. I should talk. This summer I traveled from Colorado to the east coast to run the Pig Trail, Tail of the Dragon, Back of the Dragon, Ohio's Dragon and Triple Nickel, plus one of the "curviest roads in the US" in Vermont. Rode a bunch of other places in the East and Midwest, then out to CA. I wanted to hit all five of the curviest in one summer.

We're kind of limited in AZ. As they say: AZ ain't no Arkansas.

By the way, they're doing construction on CA 36 at least through this summer.

--

Well for some you can't get enough of the Sierra Mtns. I escaped California a few years ago, but still love the Sierras to ride in. I just have to stop and take more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wondered a little why travel so many passes in a short time. Thing is by the time you get to pass #2 they all look alike. This happens any time I cross a bunch of passes in the same area.
Um...

"Because it's there." :lol: :mrgreen:

So, the 'organized' ride that I've found (and I suspect it was more of a challenge back in the days of less powerful carburetor-equipped machines) it seemed to be 'five' of the passes in a couple of days. That was posted as links in my introductory post of this thread.

My theoretical routing for such a ride would be accomplished as a couple of days, maybe two-and-a-half days. This gives the rider the opportunity to do a bit of sightseeing, maybe at least one picnic lunch...and so on.

The Carson Tahoe Moto link again showed a short-lived 'rally' format, where you provided a photo at the pass elevation sign with your motorcycle as part of a weekend ride. At the conclusion of the ride, you earned the schwag offered for participating in the ride.

Rides like these are done in much the same way people do the SCMA's Three Flags Ride, or the IBA's 50CC Quest or the 48 State Challenge. Once you've 'been there, done that', one can always move on to doing something else. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I never felt the Pine covered vistas over 88 would be the same as the Granite vistas over 120. Stop at lake Alpine over 4. Just stop and look. Stop into independent coffee places before you go over the pass. It's a ride. You need to look around as you ride. Mainly watching out for the mangy dirty little Racoon that will run out in front of you when your in a turn on the back side of 108. :mad:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Having lived in Fresno for 50 yrs. I've enjoyed riding all those passes multiple times every year. :grin2:

Now that I moved to Vancouver WA their are new mountain roads to explore.

We'll just have to slum it on:

The North Cascade Loop
Mt. Baker (Artists Point)
Mt. Rainier
The Klickitat Loop
The Olympic National Forest Loop
>:)

But when I make it down to CA on my Wing, riding the Pacific Coast Highway.

Reactions: CAWing and Clamper

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Rode around the Sierras first and came back to see a bunch of guys on the 24 in Downieville. Enjoyed a great lunch in Sierraville at Los Dos Hermanos for what I think are the best Chicken Chimichangas.
Stop at lake Alpine over 4. Just stop and look. Stop into independent coffee places before you go over the pass. It's a ride. You need to look around as you ride. Mainly watching out for the mangy dirty little Racoon that will run out in front of you when your in a turn on the back side of 108. :mad:
:lol: :lol:

A few years back, when my wife and I did a fairly condensed run thru Yosemite & Sequoia...no, not on the same day. We'd overnighted after a day in Yosemite near Fresno - inexpensive lodging. So, we were on CA-180, then onto CA-198. It was early May of 2011, so there was still a bit of snow off the sides of the roads. I'm twisting & turning up this grade, and some little brownish rodent decided it wanted to wedge himself between my front tire and the road surface, while under a heavy lean and under power.

Naturally, said rodent succeeded in his quest to commit a life-ending act. At the moment that happened, I felt the front wheel step out slightly. The rear did as well, but not as much. I think that was the first time I had to explain to my wife why you never try to avoid small critters while on a ride. :!:

I can just imagine how much more 'fun' it'd be smacking a raccoon or other larger critter. :shock: Much like the jackrabbit kills on rides in the middle of the night in the deserts of Nevada.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ahhhh...and now, it makes sense!

PBS has been replaying the Ken Burns' documentary "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" on the history of America's national parks, originally released in 2009.

Yosemite has a starring role in one segment of the program, along with John Muir and his writings about the area.

In 1894, the Muir book "The Mountains of California" was printed. One chapter in the book is about "The Passes". In the chapter, a lengthy description of more than five passes is given.

John Muir said:
Between the Sonora Pass and the southern extremity of the High Sierra, a distance of nearly 160 miles, there are only five passes through which trails conduct from one side of the range to the other. These are barely practicable for animals; a pass in these regions meaning simply any notch or cañon through which one may, by the exercise of unlimited patience, make out to lead a mule, or a sure-footed mustang; animals that can slide or jump as well as walk. Only three of the five passes may be said to be in use, viz.: the Kearsarge, Mono, and Virginia Creek; the tracks leading through the others being only obscure Indian trails, not graded in the least, and scarcely traceable by white men; for much of the way is over solid rock and earthquake avalanche taluses, where the unshod ponies of the Indians leave no appreciable sign.

Even by 1894, there were much more than five passes that could be accessed. Only a few years later did the first motorcycle and automobile crossing the Sierra's (both in May, 1903) happen and that was through Donner Pass.

Some of the early passes were originally footpaths, and later expanded for wagons and team animals to move passengers and freight over the range. Some of the paths still exist today as trails, just as they were 100-odd years ago.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I saw that posted in another thread...not certain I'll be up to doing that specific gathering.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts