GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be riding out to San Diego in a couple of weeks and then up to Barstow before heading east. I seem to remember some posts here about the speed limit being lowered for pulling a trailer. I have tried to google the DMV but I am in China right now and for some reason it won't let me do a search.

Can anyone provide a quick and dirty synopsis of the laws?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard

Just found the threads on here. Just don't want a hassle.

O

·
0 Posts
California Trailer Law

I can get you a quote if you like, but the bottom line is:

A trailer is a trailer is a trailer in California.

Spped limit: 55 mph on the freeway, unless specifically posted otherwise for trailers.

That certainly does not mean that all people towing trailers go 55 mph, but that is the law.

O

·
0 Posts
California Driver's Handbook

Maximum Speed Limit

The maximum speed limit on most California highways is 65 mph. You may drive 70 mph where posted. Unless otherwise posted, the maximum speed limit is 55 mph on two-lane undivided highways and for vehicles towing trailers.

Other speed limit signs are posted for the type of roads and traffic in each area. All speed limits are based on ideal driving conditions. Construction zones usually have reduced speed zones.

Driving faster than the posted speed limit, or driving faster than safe for current conditions on any road is dangerous and illegal. High speed increases your stopping distance. The faster you go, the less time you have to avoid a hazard or collision. The force of a 60 mph crash is not just twice as great as a 30 mph crash, it’s four times as great!

·
Registered
416 Posts
We pulled our trailer in California this summer. The max speed for any vehicle including a motorcycle is 55 if you are pulling a trailer - even if the rest of the traffic speed limit is as much as 70. Incredibly dangerous. If you go ahead and drive the speed limit you will be putting your life in danger as I had drivers passing us in very unsafe ways even though I was exceeding the 55 limit. One of the stupidest traffic laws imaginable.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CA speeds

Thanks guys
It does seem pretty dangerous but will try to stay away from the extra heavy traffic and times. I know that is pretty much an impossibility but we will try.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've pulled my trailer in the land of fruits & nuts over the 55 limit quite a bit without any problems. This not to say you won't have a problem if an LEO has a bug up his a#$ that day. (I can say that because I'm an X LEO.) You're also suppose to stay in the right lane. Hopefully, if you stay with the traffic flow you don't have any problems. Good Luck and have a safe trip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've pulled my trailer in the land of fruits & nuts over the 55 limit quite a bit without any problems. This not to say you won't have a problem if an LEO has a bug up his a#$ that day. (I can say that because I'm an X LEO.) You're also suppose to stay in the right lane. Hopefully, if you stay with the traffic flow you don't have any problems. Good Luck and have a safe trip.
I'm an OTR trucker in California w/ 40+ years driving experience & 2.5 million miles since my last chargable accident.

In Calif, if there are four or more lanes of traffic going in one direction, you must stay in the two right lanes. With three lanes or less, you are restricted to the right lane only unless you are passing another vehicle, then you must return to the right lane. NEVER are you allowed to use the far left lane, even for passing.

The right lane on most hiways is the roughest due to the heavy truck traffic tearing up the apple-pie-crust CalTrans calls a road surface.

As for speed, 55mph is the limit for any vehicle pulling a trailer. If the speed limit is 70 & you are going with the "flow", CHP will stop you for a conversation. I hope this helps....-Rich

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
My one and only time I've towed in CA, I kept up with traffic no issue; just had to remind myself to stay in those right lanes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree that the 55 limit while towing is not safe most of the time, it helps control the idiots that can't load a trailer properly or have never towed one before. I can't tell you how many times I have seen trailers wagging behind the tow vehicles or stuff tied on with string ( no kidding ) but CHP only cares when they are speeding/ driving crazy. If you stay in the slow lane and go with the flow, they usually will not give you a second look.
Besides, California MUST be smarter than the rest of the country by mandating the lower limit for all vehicles towing........ yea right........

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I replied to a thread about this dumb azz law awhile back, and here it is.

Re: Trailers and Speed Limits
You have brought up a subject that just infuriates me. :evil: Yes, I have been stopped by the CHP and given quite a lecture for failure to stay in the slow lane while towing my Kwik Kamp trailer. I left Fresno CA. with trailer in tow and rode back to AR. to visit a friend. Towed that trailer approximately 4500 mi. and upon entering Bakersfield CA on the return trip I was stopped by a CHP motorcycle officer. I know what the CA law is while towing a trailer but I refuse to comply with it and I told the officer why. It is a very dangerous law for a motorcycle. You are boxed in behind all the tractor trailers and can't see a damm thing in front of you. If you try and leave enough room in front of you then you have another big rig climbing up your a$$ and eventually he will pass and then cut right back in front of you. Also the slow lane or truck lane as it is called is full of chuck holes and ruts due to the heavy truck usage and full of debris such as truck tires that have come apart (tire gators), and other debris that has fallen off trucks. I explained to the officer that I have ridden over 350,000 accident free miles and being forced to stay in that right lane is an "accident waiting to happen". Being that he was a motor officer he fully understood what I was talking about and never did refute my arguement. His final words were.....if a CHP officer in a patrol car stops you he will more than likely give you a ticket. I thanked him and told him that I would take my chances. In my opinion it is a dumb and dangerous law. Friends of mine who also tow in CA have been stopped for the same violation and some have been ticketed. Sorry for the long rant.
For those of you that aren't familiar with this law you are also restricted to a 55 mph speed limit. :cop2:
With all that being said I think a lot depends on the following: Anything can happen on any given day. You may tow for years without adhering to this law and get away with it and then one day....Bham!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I replied to a thread about this dumb azz law awhile back, and here it is.

Re: Trailers and Speed Limits
You have brought up a subject that just infuriates me. :evil: Yes, I have been stopped by the CHP and given quite a lecture for failure to stay in the slow lane while towing my Kwik Kamp trailer. I left Fresno CA. with trailer in tow and rode back to AR. to visit a friend. Towed that trailer approximately 4500 mi. and upon entering Bakersfield CA on the return trip I was stopped by a CHP motorcycle officer. I know what the CA law is while towing a trailer but I refuse to comply with it and I told the officer why. It is a very dangerous law for a motorcycle. You are boxed in behind all the tractor trailers and can't see a damm thing in front of you. If you try and leave enough room in front of you then you have another big rig climbing up your a$$ and eventually he will pass and then cut right back in front of you. Also the slow lane or truck lane as it is called is full of chuck holes and ruts due to the heavy truck usage and full of debris such as truck tires that have come apart (tire gators), and other debris that has fallen off trucks. I explained to the officer that I have ridden over 350,000 accident free miles and being forced to stay in that right lane is an "accident waiting to happen". Being that he was a motor officer he fully understood what I was talking about and never did refute my arguement. His final words were.....if a CHP officer in a patrol car stops you he will more than likely give you a ticket. I thanked him and told him that I would take my chances. In my opinion it is a dumb and dangerous law. Friends of mine who also tow in CA have been stopped for the same violation and some have been ticketed. Sorry for the long rant.
For those of you that aren't familiar with this law you are also restricted to a 55 mph speed limit. :cop2:
With all that being said I think a lot depends on the following: Anything can happen on any given day. You may tow for years without adhering to this law and get away with it and then one day....Bham!

ABATE sponsored a bill to correct this about a year or two ago. Unfortunately it was withdrawn by the state assemblyman who submitted it. Apparently the CHP was consulted and their reply was the motorcycle manufacturers do not recommend towing a trailer. Therefore CHP helped put the kabosh on the whole thing. Those of us here in CA need to contact ABATE again and get it going. There are a handfull of other states that have ridiculous towing laws. It amazes me that Washington will allow towing a trailer under 5 or 6,000 pounds in the FAST (left) lane. I don't get that either.

·
Banned
226 Posts
I have pulled my imaginary trailer behind my imaginary Wing at 75mph for hours on end just keep an eye out for the CHP. They are usually driving black & whites. Black car w/white top and white doors but lately Ive noticed quite a few have all white patrol cars All w/ lots or antenni on the top and the boot. No cowboy hats and usually travel alone unlike Texas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Although the law states 55 for trailers, that doesn't mean it is safe - as others have stated here. I have traveled in CA for years in an out and have never seen anyone going 55.

I have not been pulled over for going 55, but I know of others that were going slower (over the limit) and got a ticket for impeding traffic.

So, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't speed. I'd prefer to go with the traffic and be safe!!

Tim

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Go with the flow of traffic

It is safer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will be riding out to San Diego in a couple of weeks and then up to Barstow before heading east. I seem to remember some posts here about the speed limit being lowered for pulling a trailer. I have tried to google the DMV but I am in China right now and for some reason it won't let me do a search.

Can anyone provide a quick and dirty synopsis of the laws?

Thanks
Blythe operates a 'fund raising' corridor on I-1o outside of Blythe, a five mph over ticket is $490. No kidding. California is addicted to milking the motoring public to balance the books. Amazingly, I cannot find out where all the billions from LOTTO have gone... and pulling away from people tailgating you is not allowed as an acceptable affirmative defense. Even on a motorcycle. The actual ticket is 35 dollars, but with 'assessments' (read taxes not ratified by law but imposed by bureaucratic rubber stamp) boost it up to 490 bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts