GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a ride this year to CA, OR, WA and ID. I will enter Ca from NV to Yosemite then down to Sequoia NP then over to Santa Cruz to SF Golden Gate bridge and then up the coast highway 101 & 1 to Crescent City. Not wanting to miss anything any ideas for side trips would be helpful. I will attempt to camp the entire way and only have 6 days to get up into Oregon.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would highly recommend Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to the 101. 140 miles of roller coaster, twisties, and sweepers.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
If you have an extra day when you get to Santa Cruz, head south on Hwy 1. Even if you only ride down 50-60 miles south of Carmel and turn around, you won't be sorry! Spend an hour or two in the Big Sur area.

Be aware that July is VERY popular for camping and campgrounds fill up fast. You might consider making motel reservations far ahead of time.
And... Traffic on some sections of Hwy 1 can be slow, especially on weekends.

You won't be disappointed with the riding and the views.

ps. If you are a CCW rider, be aware of CA laws.

Welcome!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
You didn't say where you were coming from in Nevada but this is a great section of Hwy 120 east of Lee Vining. If you can be sure to ride it as there are some fun woops and good views of Mono Lake. One of my favorite roads in Ca.

http://goo.gl/maps/e0xPL

Almost forgot, ride Avenue of the Giants off hwy 101 above Garberville
If you do ride the the route that Dougbug suggested starting in Benton and ending in LeeVining you will be able to pickup Hwy 120 west over Tioga Pass into Yosemite. Tioga Pass is 10,000' elevation and a great way to enter Yosemite.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
If you have an extra day when you get to Santa Cruz, head south on Hwy 1. Even if you only ride down 50-60 miles south of Carmel and turn around, you won't be sorry! Spend an hour or two in the Big Sur area.

Be aware that July is VERY popular for camping and campgrounds fill up fast. You might consider making motel reservations far ahead of time.
And... Traffic on some sections of Hwy 1 can be slow, especially on weekends.

You won't be disappointed with the riding and the views.

ps. If you are a CCW rider, be aware of CA laws.

Welcome!
So True! The coastal campgrounds become available on the first Sunday 6 months prior. I tried to get intoi a campground north of Santa Barbara and by 8:01 on that Sunday the campground was full before I could get a reservation.

·
Banned
792 Posts
All recommendations above are great roads to travel as I have done them all. The coast route 1 from Cambria up to Carmel is beautiful but strange enough it can be foggy at that time of year. Carmel Valley Road from the 101 up to Carmel is a beautiful ride also. There are too many great places to ride and see in this state and not enough time to do it all.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all you reply's...these will all help me better plan my trip

·
Registered
906 Posts
Like Dougbug mentioned, the Avenue of the Giants is always a good ride. The Newton B Drury Scenic Byway is also ice. It is exit 753, just north of Orick. In the Praire Creek area is where the elk hang out. They also hangout around the Red School House.

joe in Redding

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The Newton B Drury Scenic Byway is also ice. It is exit 753, just north of Orick. In the Praire Creek area is where the elk hang out. They also hangout around the Red School House.
joe in Redding
:agree: Also if you're planning on staying in Crescent City, I do not recommend the Crescent Beach Motel. the only "saving grace" of that place is you can walk directly out to the beach from your room. Very pricey just for that. You can park 1/4 mile down the road and do the same. Their idea of breakfast is pouring dry oatmeal into dixie cup and fill with lukewarm water!YMMV

·
Registered
906 Posts
In Crescent City the Curly RedwoodLodge is a nice place to stay. It is older, very clean, the owners are very accomodating and the price is very reasonable. Right across the street is the Fisherman's Restaurant. A group of us last year. The food was good and the food server was a hoot.

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
In Crescent City the Curly RedwoodLodge is a nice place to stay. It is older, very clean, the owners are very accomodating and the price is very reasonable. Right across the street is the Fisherman's Restaurant. A group of us last year. The food was good and the food server was a hoot.

Joe in Redding
I've been staying there for the last 30 yrs. whenever I'm in Crescent City and have never had a complaint and the bikes can park underneath a covered parking spot which helps when it's raining hard :rain1: which can be quite often. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts