GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Texas .

Need suggestions from felow riders from NV, CA area :

We will be leaving Las Vegas on a Saturday morning towards Los Angeles and then towards San Diego.
Which route to take ?
We need to leave San Diego on Monday. We want to enjoy Hwy 1 on Sunday and spend the Sunday night in San Diego.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Riding with daughter and friend and wife

·
Banned
792 Posts
The route you need to take is not the most scenic for the coast. Route 1 ends in Dana Point and then it is just the 5 freeway the rest of the way to San Diego. Anything north of Dana Point gets very busy with traffic and population. The best thing would be to take the 15 all the way from Vegas to the 74 by Lake Elsinore and then ride over the mountains which is very scenic but busy with traffic at times. The 74 will join the 5 in San Juan Capistrano and then coastal riding the rest of the way to San Diego. That is a pretty good days ride. Sunday you can get the sights of San Diego in along with all the others. Where are you heading from San Diego?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
You would enjoy the hills through San Diego county more. Look up Julian and use that as a waypoint.

The coast is nice but once you get south of Malibu it is disappointing because of traffic, lack of natural scenery, and traffic signals. Used to be a nice stretch between Newport Beach and Naguna Beach but now it seems like it is a constant stream of signals.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will start to head home (Houston) Initial plan on way back is to ride from San Diego to Tucson,AZ then to Alpine,TX (Visit Big Bend Natl Park), San Antonio and back to Houston.

The route you need to take is not the most scenic for the coast. Route 1 ends in Dana Point and then it is just the 5 freeway the rest of the way to San Diego. Anything north of Dana Point gets very busy with traffic and population. The best thing would be to take the 15 all the way from Vegas to the 74 by Lake Elsinore and then ride over the mountains which is very scenic but busy with traffic at times. The 74 will join the 5 in San Juan Capistrano and then coastal riding the rest of the way to San Diego. That is a pretty good days ride. Sunday you can get the sights of San Diego in along with all the others. Where are you heading from San Diego?

·
Banned
792 Posts
Riding from Vegas to San Diego is well over 300 miles. You could take the 15 all the way or do as I mentioned for some ocean views on Saturday and then on Sunday ride around the country as Dimick said and see the inland areas such as Fallbrook, Julian and even Warner Springs area for some wide open country, this would be another full day of good riding. All of that is some beautiful country.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Howdy from Texas .

Need suggestions from felow riders from NV, CA area :

We will be leaving Las Vegas on a Saturday morning towards Los Angeles and then towards San Diego.
Which route to take ?
We need to leave San Diego on Monday. We want to enjoy Hwy 1 on Sunday and spend the Sunday night in San Diego.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Riding with daughter and friend and wife
There are lots of options, and it depends on whether you want to get to San Diego quickly, or if you want to explore the scenery on the way there. I agree with KTM530 that you could take the 15 south to Lake Elsinore, and head over Ortega Hwy(74) to the 5, then take the 5 south to San Diego. There are LOTS of fun roads around there. Are you planning to go into LA, or straight to San Diego? You could ride for days and never ride the same road twice. Of course you could take the 15 south and never exit the freeway as well. If you're headed to Los Angeles, I would exit the 15 and take the 2(toward Wrightwood)(I think it's labeled as 138 at the 15) over Angeles Crest into La Canada Flintridge. It's a great stretch of road as well. It's about 60 miles long, and will bring a smile to your face if you like mountain road riding. You could head up to Big Bear/Arrowhead/Crestline as well, and have some fun riding. I could probably come up with some routes for you to take, but unless you can program them into your GPS, you'll have a very difficult time following it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS !
LOOKING FORWARD TO START OUR TRIP IN ABOUT ONE WEEK TIME ![

QUOTE=glarson3;5611593]There are lots of options, and it depends on whether you want to get to San Diego quickly, or if you want to explore the scenery on the way there. I agree with KTM530 that you could take the 15 south to Lake Elsinore, and head over Ortega Hwy(74) to the 5, then take the 5 south to San Diego. There are LOTS of fun roads around there. Are you planning to go into LA, or straight to San Diego? You could ride for days and never ride the same road twice. Of course you could take the 15 south and never exit the freeway as well. If you're headed to Los Angeles, I would exit the 15 and take the 2(toward Wrightwood)(I think it's labeled as 138 at the 15) over Angeles Crest into La Canada Flintridge. It's a great stretch of road as well. It's about 60 miles long, and will bring a smile to your face if you like mountain road riding. You could head up to Big Bear/Arrowhead/Crestline as well, and have some fun riding. I could probably come up with some routes for you to take, but unless you can program them into your GPS, you'll have a very difficult time following it.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
792 Posts
So take pictures and let us all know what you ended up doing when you return. Have a good trip. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
We will start to head home (Houston) Initial plan on way back is to ride from San Diego to Tucson,AZ then to Alpine,TX (Visit Big Bend Natl Park), San Antonio and back to Houston.
When you leave San Diego, search out CA-94 as you head east out of the region...another fun piece of pavement.

Once you get to the bottom of the hill along I-8, there's other rides in the SoAZ area if you're interested. Search the Rides, Trips and Events forum for the Gadsden Purchase Ride that I wrote up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts