GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a nightmare. Instructions say "Remove the socket/bulb assembly from the lights". Huh? The socket/bulb assembly is the lights..oooh they mean remove the socket/bulb assembly from the housing..duh. Mark the center of the caliper cover and "drill a small pilot hole I the center". Hmmm, there is already a pilot hole in the center of the caliper cover. "The final hole will be 7/8". OK off to the hardware store. Back with the 7/8" bit, drilled a really pretty hole in the caliper cover. "Put the light into the hole and bolt it to the cover". Hmmm now I am bolting a "hole" to the cover? Oooh, they mean put the socket/bulb assembly back into the housing, then bolt the housing to the caliper cover, yea right. Guess what, the 7/8" hole is way too small (getting really pixxxed off now). Back to the hardware store for an even larger bit, better buy a new drill motor with a larger chuck too. Home again ready to drill a larger hole, when I realize I can't drill a larger hole because I have no small center pilot hole, remember, I drilled it out to 7/8" (now wishing I had never started this simple project, feeling bad about my butchered caliper covers and missing my hard earned $$$). Back to the hardware store for a file and to return the drill and drill motor with the larger chuck. Hours of filing later I finally have the lights in the housing, the housing bolted to the caliper covers...wow I am ready to mount the caliper covers on the bike. The wiring on the back of LED's is hitting against my brake caliper..hope this does not interfere with the brakes. Oh well, continue on. Finally everything is mounted, wired and ready to test. Key on, light switch on, let there be light!! And light there is, waaaaay too bright!! I mean blinding bright, no more need for fog lights. Now how do I correct this problem? Any ideas for dimming them? I am worn out with this simple installation gone bad, just turn them off and go to bed. And I thought amateur radio products came with poor instructions. Have these people ever installed their product or read their instructions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
elkk!
I Know how you feel! I still goes in therapy for the big holes in the caliper cover.

I have been there and done all the foolish things they tell you to do.
I could not stand the chromed housing sticking out from the caliper cover. I siliconed the housing from the inside of the caliper and made a hole on the backside of the oem marker then stuck it with dubblesided tape. Now I could make some use of that big f......ing hole the asked me to do, and let the bulb shine from a bit of distance. Oem look and lighting good.
After 4 months the crap (hm the brown word was changed in the prewiev) begun to rust so bad that I throw it as far as I could.
Replaced with the LED marker from BBP. It gives 15 spots from the LEDs. Mutch better but still not felling ready with this ithem. E/C has one too. Don´t know the difference.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Bill,

You sure these are LED? Our LED lights flush mount and only require a small hole for the wiring. If these are the Add On brand, I think you have an incandescent light.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Who's cover

Who's caliper lights did you buy? This sounds like the installation from hell.

Maybe a little too late, but this is a good example of why Electrical Connections wins hand down on this category.

Their caliper light covers are nice LED's and are very easy to install. As for wiring, if you already have a ring of fire, it makes it a piece of take to tie it all in together!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Sorry

Sorry you had such a rough time. Does not look like an LED light. I installed the LED ones from EC a couple of weeks ago and it was very easy with very good instructions. I'd advise others to not go with the ones you have but go with the EC.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks good in the phote, however I'm glad I didn't go down that trail. I've had simular experience though with other products.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does not look like an LED light.
I agree it does not look like an LED, but I assure you there are 4 LED's grouped together in a square in each marker. And yes I would advise everyone to go with E/C or any other manufacture for all your aftermarket needs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hear quite a bit of talk about EC or Electrical Connections where can I find them

TIA

Dick

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hey Elkk,

I know how you feel on the install. Anymore, I dont if it is me or not, but it seems either instructions are not clear enough or I read too much into them. If at all possible now,I have someone install them as I watch them do the install. So much easier, then next time I can pretend like I know how to help someone else on thier install.

I have the front and rear reflector lights from EC, Electrical connection. I had Lewis do the install so now if something goes wrong I know who I can fuss at. I am not sure if these are LED or not, just knows they look good.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Janne..

Thanks for the info

Dick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts