GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a mech that changing to the tie-rods from Traxxion may cause the handlebar to absorb more vibrations...that perhaps Honda-brainers made the steering have a little slack such that the handlebars feel no high pitch vibrations from the engine.

If you have the tie-rods mod ONLY let me know how you feel them handlebars

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would be surprised if Honda’s design wasn’t motivated primarily by cost.

But I’m curious to hear if anyone feels anything different between the parts.

·
Vendor
21,759 Posts
Ha ha, that's a good one. Engine vibrations are transmitted through the frame to the handlebar bridge bearings and up the handlebars, not through the tie rods. And the entire front end is isolated from the main frame by the shock and suspension arms. Not to mention that this bike has very little engine vibration to begin with. You're worrying about problems that don't exist.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
I have the Traxxion Tie Rod. It is just one side the right. Not the left. All Good Vibrations

·
Registered
484 Posts
No issues with mine

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I was told by a mech that changing to the tie-rods from Traxxion may cause the handlebar to absorb more vibrations...that perhaps Honda-brainers made the steering have a little slack such that the handlebars feel no high pitch vibrations from the engine.

Your mech doesnt know what he is talking about..no issues at all with the Traxxion tie rod.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

If your mechanic told you this, I recommend you find another mechanic.

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
When new and mean really new; the right side Honda OE rod is tight too. The difference is that the Traxxion rod stays in spec whareas the OE assembly often wears out of spec rather rapidly.

prs

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm converting to the Traxxion tie rod, I'm sure the OE is fine, but I'm also sure the Traxxion is better. When I get the shock and spring upgrade, going to have them do the tie rod as well. I'm on their schedule, and that would be a good thing!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Thanks Fred for the description......

As long as the Traxxion Tie-rod is within Honda's spec why would it matter at all?
The Traxxion advantage is it maintains spec for the life of the bike, rather than wearing and going out of spec like the Honda unit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did the tie rod coversion, no vibration at all. Steering acutely seems better, ie, no sloppiness and tracks like its on a rail. Of course I came off of a 07 Harley Ultra, which did not handle the curves very well to begin with.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Why won't Traxion tie rod wear out of spec? Why change tie rod before Honda tie rod is a problem due to wear??

·
Registered
312 Posts
Why won't Traxion tie rod wear out of spec? Why change tie rod before Honda tie rod is a problem due to wear??
You can wait until your stock tie rod wears out, if you like. That's what I'm doing. But when it wears out (I expect it will) then I will definitely be going with Traxxion.

Max has a video that explains "why" his tie rod is far superior.

·
Vendor
21,759 Posts
The Traxxion tie rod does not contain a teflon sleeve like the OEM does. The heim joint in the the Traxxion tie rod is made of stainless and is aircraft grade. It should last the life of the bike.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
My oem steering bar was worn at 6,000 miles. Installed the traxxion and all is well again
My bikes OEM tie rod allowed .25" of play at the handlebars at 4300 miles...replaced it with Traxxion's tie rod to fix the wear issue for the life of the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Is the Traxxion tie-rod installable by an amateur mechanic who has more courage than skill?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Is the Traxxion tie-rod installable by an amateur mechanic who has more courage than skill?
:unsure:

Very easy to do.......Traxxion even includes the flat wrench to hold the bottom side, to prevent the joint assembly from turning when tightening the nut.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
In eleven days I'll let you know how worn my 7500 Mile tie rod is/was. 😁

Reactions: eddiedial
1 - 20 of 20 Posts