GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a report on this site of new cracks in the subframe under the passengar footpegs. I don't know if the report is true or not, but I am treating it as such.

I would encourage everyone to inspect their frames in and around the area of the passengar and driver footpages/floorboards. If you find any cracks, please photo them and contact me ASAP.

[email protected]

If this turns out not to be true, we should find that out fairly quickly. If it is true, then I suspect we will get more reports of cracks as folks inspect thier own bikes. Better safe than sorry. Spend 10 minutes inspecting your frame and please let me know if you find any cracks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Fred, I really, really hope your not being the bearer of bad news. We all have the finest touring bike ever made, but another hickey like this and .... it could get nasty. :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
I agree with Fred. Cant hurt to inspect..and who knows what we all will find???? hopefully nothing...

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
When Hal started his guess the '05 features thread I "wished" for a new titanium alloy frame. I still wish.

Will look 'er over real close. Frame checks may have to become part of our pre-ride inspections.

Keep yer fingers crossed, folks.

prs

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I think it is time for a treated lumber frame :lol:

That, or simply go back to steel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Fred and everyone;

I went right out and looked under my white '04 GL1800A to check for frame cracks; did not see any of them, but discovered what looks like an oil or engine coolant leak!!! I just returned home from taking the bike in and the service guy confirmed there is a leak, so I left it for warrnty repairs. All this in the past couple of hours!

Also, the service guy said he has never heard of any coolant jar being damaged or any kind of a leak, and said if I wanted a "belly pan" installed, I would have to order it through their parts dept!! Any other way?

RJ Green....... aka....Whitefang.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The best bet is to order from a vendor (cheaper) and install yourself. They are real easy to install, should take no more than thirty minutes. The best pan is Tulsa.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
rjgreen said:
.... Also, the service guy said he has never heard of any coolant jar being damaged or any kind of a leak, and said if I wanted a "belly pan" installed, I would have to order it through their parts dept!! Any other way?

Whitefang,

Your "service guy" either isn't being up-front with you, or is somewhat ignorant of GL1800 history... There have been many posts showing the damage done by road debris that would've probably been prevented by the Belly Pan.

Here's an easy way to buy the Tulsa Belly Pan from HDL - Click Here

Good luck with your warranty issues.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
looked under my 03 and nothing cracking, that I can see. Is there a specific inspection procedure someone has posted?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I just put some new skins on the bike, had it up on my lift, looked at all areas of the frame, no cracks found anywhere. it would take an allful amount of pressure for the alum frame to crack, welds cracking I can belive but for the frame itself to crack? I would have to see a pic or some substantial evidence, maybe a dealer phone number? should be easy to verify, call the dealer that inspected the frames.

·
Registered
337 Posts
rjgreen said:
Hi Fred and everyone;

I went right out and looked under my white '04 GL1800A to check for frame cracks; did not see any of them, but discovered what looks like an oil or engine coolant leak!!! I just returned home from taking the bike in and the service guy confirmed there is a leak, so I left it for warrnty repairs. All this in the past couple of hours!

Also, the service guy said he has never heard of any coolant jar being damaged or any kind of a leak, and said if I wanted a "belly pan" installed, I would have to order it through their parts dept!! Any other way?

http://www.vpaccessories.com/1800.htm they have a tank cover for $16 I installed one of these since I have spent my bike budget for the year :oops: I have no doubt the tulsa belly pan is in the future as it would provide protection for the whole underneath. But for now protecting the overflow tank was my priority.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Followup to oil leak;

Hi Fred and everyone;

The dealer said the oil leak that I discovered this a.m. when looking for frame cracks is the drive shaft seal, and the part will take 5 to 7 working days to come from the supplier, then a day or less to fix. Anyone hear of this part failing on a GL1800? OH, and the bike stays there until fixed. :( :(

RJ

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Get a loner from them while yours is getting fixed.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No cracks here

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
For Fred H.

I am asking a serious question here. I am not trying to sound like a smart alec.

How much of the bike would have to be dissassembled to actually check the frame correctly?

If this new crack is real, and by looking at the picture posted does make one wonder, are we in for some uncomfortabe feelings about these bikes?

I have ridden mine 12,000 plus miles since I got it last June and have loved every minute of it, but where does all of this stop?

I am not trying to scare anyone or start any bad threads, just wondering :? :?

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks to me like you should be able to see it by just pulling off the side covers under the seat. Use a flashlight and mirror if needed.

Just for everyones info, I have informed NHTSA of this new failure and it is already being investigated.

However, tt is not time to panic just yet, as only two bikes have been found with cracks. It is cause for concern, but to some extent should come as no great suprise given that we already know this frame to have weak welds. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that all the other welds in the bike are also suspect.

I am not sure, but it looks like these new cracks may be the result of the heating of the nearby area during welding. I will be sending them to a welding expert to look at and give his opinion on.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
46 Posts
rigreen I had a drive shaft seal leak at around 15,000 miles on my '02. My dealer fixed it under warranty and I haven't had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Fred,

I just got off of the phone with Kent (broken frame) . He is very appreciative of your assistance. I thank you as well.

Bulldog

1 - 20 of 23 Posts