GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick observation when it comes to the dreaded "wobble"

I was riding home from work last night, and started to notice that my wobble had started to come back. Now granted, this same wobble goes away whenever I get new tires and seems to stay at bay until the tires become warn toward the last 1/3rd of the life expectancy. anyway, back on track. Last night I noticed the wobble again and it was a tad more noticable than in the past. I am curious as to what you all think...

I beleive that the wobble may in some part be caused by the "cupping" of the tires especially when the air pressure is low in the tire. I say this because last night, the wobble was pretty noticable to the point between 40 and 35 mph I wont let go of the handle bars, as it can and will turn into a real tank slapper, and who wants that? Well, shame on me as I had let the tire pressure drop to 34 psi....doh!!!!

Anyway, after putting the tires back up to 41 psi front and rear, the wobble is gone again, but they are the same worn tires as yesterday???

call me crazy???:lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
cupping

Just my opinion - Probably when you add more air, it makes the tire contact patch slighty less, the weight not getting into the cupped area. Rides more on the center tread area. Lower pressure lets the tire "sag" more.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
When I first started reading this board i put 41 lbs in my front tire too. Then I went back to the manufacturer's recommendation of 36. Seems fine to me. Like you, I get much better performance out of new tires.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Just my opinion - Probably when you add more air, it makes the tire contact patch slighty less, the weight not getting into the cupped area. Rides more on the center tread area. Lower pressure lets the tire "sag" more.
I agree.

I've bought four GL1800s. One didn't wobble until 35-40k, two wobbled brand new...slightly with less than 500 miles on the tires and one wobbled horribly with less than 500 miles on the tires. I was running Doran TPMS on all. I eventually cured all 4 of them but can't guarantee which change or combination of changes fixed it. I was down to 6-7k on a set of tires on one bike and got it back up to 19k front/17-18k rear slab riding and about 4k less "rough riding" in the mountains.

I think "cupping/wobble" is the "chicken & the egg" thing.

Z

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats kinda what I was thinking too, as like you said, there is less tire actually touching the ground.........:yes1:

"I'm not a smart man Jenny, but I know what wobble IS"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just a quick observation when it comes to the dreaded "wobble"

I was riding home from work last night, and started to notice that my wobble had started to come back. Now granted, this same wobble goes away whenever I get new tires and seems to stay at bay until the tires become warn toward the last 1/3rd of the life expectancy. anyway, back on track. Last night I noticed the wobble again and it was a tad more noticable than in the past. I am curious as to what you all think...

I beleive that the wobble may in some part be caused by the "cupping" of the tires especially when the air pressure is low in the tire. I say this because last night, the wobble was pretty noticable to the point between 40 and 35 mph I wont let go of the handle bars, as it can and will turn into a real tank slapper, and who wants that? Well, shame on me as I had let the tire pressure drop to 34 psi....doh!!!!

Anyway, after putting the tires back up to 41 psi front and rear, the wobble is gone again, but they are the same worn tires as yesterday???

call me crazy???:lol:
Dear Crazy,
There are 4 bikes left in the stable. I never knew what wobble was until the wing was added to the inventory. I am a nut about air pressure although I prefer 40F & 39R. I think the minor variables (pressure, cupping, wear, etc) are exasperated by the lousy front end to result in the f-ing wobble. Exactly what is wrong with the engineering of the front end...I do not know...too rake?
call me frustrated (or dissapointed)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts