GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 3,000 mile ride and the front of the bike was covered with bugs from the trip. It was 100+ degrees most days and today....exactly 9 days from when I left I washed (actually scrubbed) the bike from top to bottom.

The front garnish even after waxing 3 times still looks like it has bugs smeared all over it. But it's not on the surface....it appears to be burnt into the clear coat. Looks like a haze of the bugs splash/crash on the front.

Has anyone experienced this also....and is there anything I can do to remove it?

I may just pick up a new garnish over the winter. It's only a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
meguiars ultimate polish will do the trick...( get it ay wallmart )...had the same thing happen to mine

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The bugs were probably baked on by the sun. Bugs are extremely hard to remove after they become dry. In fact, shellac is made from the juice of lac bugs. I remember being told that in school as a kid. I googled it and came up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

There are some good bug removers on the market, not sure if they will do you any good at this point, but worth a try. I apply a coat of Rejex every year to my bike. The garnish, front of the mirrors, front of the saddle bags and front edge of the fairings are pretty much all that are susceptible to bugs. I try to at least clean these parts after each ride. Peroxide, full strength, helps a lot to soften them up. I use a spray bottle to fog it on, apply extra to each bug splat, let it set a few minutes, then wipe it off with a towel or microfibre cloth.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Use a wet towel over it and it should soften them up. Just how fast were you going when you hit them?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2010 and the bugs are definitely scrubbed off completely. I mean I rubbed for 10 minutes with a microfiber with soap then 3 full coats of high quality wax.

Gonna try the McGuires....and look into the Rejex.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's a 2010 and the bugs are definitely scrubbed off completely. I mean I rubbed for 10 minutes with a microfiber with soap then 3 full coats of high quality wax.

Gonna try the McGuires....and look into the Rejex.

Thanks
I have been using Rejex for yrs. It will do nothing for scuffs, scratches etc. It is strictly used for protection after the bike is cleaned.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Down here we use peroxide to clean the bugs. Spray is on, let them bubble up and wipe or wash them off.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Clay Bar worked awesome on an older BMW (car) I have.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have an '06 and have never had this problem. I bought some stuff at the Honda dealer in Rock Springs, Wyoming. It is called "Lucas Slick Mist". Says on the container that it is good for all surfaces. Takes the bugs of the wind screen with ease. It is in a pump container and has made cleaning it easier each time that I have used it.

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
249 Posts
This happened on my 2010 titanium. A clay bar treatment fixed it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Down here we use peroxide to clean the bugs. Spray is on, let them bubble up and wipe or wash them off.
+1 I keep a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the trunk and spray to clean the bugs off during gas stops if they're on bad. My finish is still like new (but I do keep it well-polished).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Warm wet towel, some peroxide work well...might even try some good ol' WD40.

·
Registered
297 Posts
buggy

Sounds like you have wax on top of bugs. I do have a titanium wing and you might try bug and tar remover or peroxide to get wax off so you can get to bugs..I might have to get a clay bar after reading this post :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Sounds like you have wax on top of bugs. I do have a titanium wing and you might try bug and tar remover or peroxide to get wax off so you can get to bugs..I might have to get a clay bar after reading this post :thumbup:

...ditto the thoughts on a clay bar. Saw a little vid of Maguires and it was interesting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts