GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and yellow one are planning a 1000 butt burner. When I use mapquest to figure out start and stop points millage is 1040. When I use my gps same start and stop points it is 991 what do you use ?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
02redwing said:
I and yellow one are planning a 1000 butt burner. When I use mapquest to figure out start and stop points millage is 1040. When I use my gps same start and stop points it is 991 what do you use ?
What is your mapping software telling you? I would compare the mapping software that came with your GPS with Mapquest.I'm guessing your GPS found a shortcut someplace.

Whgen I planned my SS1K,I used Mapsource

Where are you going?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Here is the information regarding calculation of your official mileage from IBA's website -

WARNING: Unless your speedometer has been calibrated, do NOT depend on your own odometer readings for official mileage! Most Japanese motorcycles register five to ten percent more miles than actually traveled. Over the course of a 24 hour period, this error can be quite severe - as much as 100 miles. IN ALL CASES, mileage will be verified with either Automap (a computer atlas), DeLorme Atlas or DeLorme's "Map'N'Go", Mapquest (an Internet mapping program), MapsOnUs (also an internet mapping program), Rand McNally's Tripmaker, Microsoft Streets and Trips or an American Automobile Association atlas.

·
Registered
393 Posts
02redwing said:
WE are going from Moses Lake Wa to Millux Ca I have map source on my gps.
Moses Lake!
Great place .. its amazing that so much of Washington State is Desert.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Strider,

It will be next spring (late) or early summer. We are just trying to figure out the initial route and what we have to have in line now so it's out of the way.

Paul H.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
If you put multiple starts/stops into Mapquest, it's probably wrong. Mapquest has always been a little wrong.
GPS errs also on mapping but not tracking. Keep your GPS running; if you're short at the end, just keep going. The SaddleSore 1K isn't one of the extreme rides and you should feel pretty peppy at the end and have extra time.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I didn't want to trust the Honda miles when I did mine, so I picked a route that had plenty of leeway to compensate. No GPS, in fact I forgot my map. I was planning/thinking about the route so long I had it memorized.

Ended up doing 1283 certified miles in 22.5 hours with 2 - 1 hour naps built in.

Had the worse case of helmet hair I've ever seen.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
02redwing said:
...what do you use ?
As stated above, go by the requirements stated in the IBA rules (assuming you're doing this ride for cert).

Their team will use their mapping programs to determine the validity of the ride.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
We plotted the distance by Rand Mc Nally trip planner... but to be sure
we went 1126 miles... GPS tracked it to be 1091 miles... after all that
effort.. we did not want to be short on mileage..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
In Going The Extra Mile, Ron Ayres quotes Team Strange Rallymaster Adam Wolkoff as saying that endurance rallies are "all about reading comprehension". Throughout this book, Ayres relates several instances of how experienced endurance rally riders misinterpreted the instructions for earning bonus points or made other basic mistakes, thus costing them dearly in their final placement.

My advice is to read and re-read the IBA rules and plan your IBA ride accordingly. Finally, execute the ride as planned. It's all about reading comprehension and discipline.

·
Registered
115 Posts
02redwing said:
I use Streets & trips (It's cheap, and works well) to lay out my route. The default setting is that each segment will be the "quickest' route. After you get your route plotted, will all corners and likely fuel stops marked, change each segment to "SHORTEST". If it still makes it over 1,000 miles, you're OK, as this is the same procedure that the verification volunteer will use.

On many routes, the change to shortest will leave you short of miles. Examine the shortcuts, and pop in another stop of two to "force" the route to your actual planned route, OR add some miles, whichever is going to be quicker on the ride.

Thats all there is to it. What your GPS shows for a route mileage is almost certainly different than what it will show after the ride. The IBA will accept neither the GPS mileage NOR the odometer mileage. The final decision will be what the mapping programs show after they insert all your stops, based upon your submitted receipts.

Good luck, ride safe, and keep good documentation. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts