GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zumo 450, I can build routes using Garmins Map Source.
I'll build a route adding "waypoints", I'll transfer to the Zumo, all info is loaded & confirmed, but when I ride the route the Zumo wants to take the shortest route :eek:4:, what the hell am I doing wrong :eek: :confused:
the object is to build a ride & have the GPS follow it.
any suggetsions?
any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, your mistake is letting the thing go into recalculate mode or stopping and restarting your zumo in the middle of a route. I had this exact same problem. Once you start the route, any shutdown of the zumo and restart at a point other than the starting point will cause it to recalculate based on your preferences (no Uturns, no interstates, toll roads etc) and all bets are off on the route you are taking. Waypoints are the best defense in dealing with this problem.

One additional nice feature is that you don't have to use the primitive mapSource. I've started using AOL's MapQuest. There is a web browser Ad-on that you download and install from the Garmin site, and then you can plan your trips in MapQuest click and drag your route to get it just the way you want it and then UPLOAD it to the garmin directly through your USB port. This is very slick. I understand it used to work with Google Maps but Google changed their software and it no longer allows an upload.

Daveo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello Pat,

Can I suggest you use the same route again and increase the number of waypoints so the Zumo has no other alternative than follow the roads you have decided to use.

You have to remember that Mapsource will decide where to go between 2 waypoints if there is multiple choice and if you do not force it to go where you want by adding more waypoints, the same happens with the Zumo except they will not follow the same path as we are talking about 2 different pieces of software.

Hermann

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used to use M/S Streets & Maps to plan routes before I got my Zumo 550. I found the software for this GPS takes some re-education and their instructions to be less than helpful.
I found the Zumo Forums helped fill in a lot of blanks and have found it to be the best help for me. That being said, just like this forum there are folks doing stuff to their Zumo that is way beyond the manufacturer's intentions, so take that into consideration.

http://www.zumoforums.com/

Enjoy your new gadget!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have never had my Zumo recalculate a route after turning it off, but unfortunately it does indeed recalulate the entire route if you use the recalculate mode.

However, there is a simple solution to this little functionality problem if it ever happens to you. (I do wish future Garmin units solve this problem though.)

First of all, go into your settings and turn off Auto Recalculate mode. I set mine for the prompt mode. I leave it in prompt mode simply because sometimes I do want to use recalculate.

If you ever do use recalculate mode, once you are back on track, go to the main menu, stop the route, and then restart it. The Zumo will ask you if you want to start from the beginning of the route. Tell it no. The Zumo will then take you back to your planned route instead of recalculating the whole thing. Stopping and restarting the route will not wipe out your trip settings. It will still compile everything from the last point you had reset it.

There is one other little tidbit that can help. One of the advantages of using MapSource over other programs like Streets and Trips, is that MapSource is the only program that uses Shaping points, which is a custom Garmin feature that isn't recognized by the generic GPX standard. Shaping points are like waypoints, except that they do not show up on the route as desinations. If you use enough of them, you can use recalculate mode and your route will not get re-routed by the Zumo.

The only problem with these Shaping Points is that I find them hard to use. Garmin needs to refine the user interface a bit IMO. You have to zoom in very tight to make sure they actually get placed on the roadway. (and on the correct side of the road if it is a divided highway.) I bought my GPS to make my life a little easier, not spend all my time sitting at the computer marking every point on a long trip. But you can try it to see if it is something that will help you.

Although I think Garmin seriously erred in their design from this standpoint, you have to remember that the primary use for a GPS is as a point to point device, not as a sightseeing tool. Even though the Zumo is a "motorcycle" GPS, it still uses the same software, and most of the same firmware routines that the rest of their GPS line uses. As GPS technology matures, I am sure these little idiosyncrosies will get worked out.

G

·
0 Posts
Route

When your ready to go, make sure you "select the route" to follow & not enter a destination... Sorry if that was obvious, im still fumbling thru some features...

I have a Zumo 450, I can build routes using Garmins Map Source.
I'll build a route adding "waypoints", I'll transfer to the Zumo, all info is loaded & confirmed, but when I ride the route the Zumo wants to take the shortest route :eek:4:, what the hell am I doing wrong :eek: :confused:
the object is to build a ride & have the GPS follow it.
any suggetsions?
any help would be appreciated..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts