GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
If you want to get a longer ride a marine battery will work better. Is the electric system on the egg beater 28V?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I guess it depends on a lot of factors here. Do you want the theoretical answer or the practical answer? The battery will provide "X" amp hours. I believe the Jacket and pants use 70 Watts (At full current). So how many amps @ 12 Volts = 70 Watts? P=I*E or Power (Watts) - I (Current) times E (voltage) or 70 = 12V times "x" Amperes. which is roughly 5.8 Amps (dividing both sides by 12). With the heat troller (Which is a switch turning on and off the current flow to regulate the heat, The current drain would be dependent upon how much heat you need. Most likely lowering the current drain.

Then there is a coupling factor here of what the temp will be in the plane and how it will affect the chemical reaction inside the battery (to determine exactly how much current the battery will produce over time).

I know this is not really a definitive answer that you're asking for but for me I'd take a motorcycle battery with me and do a test in the hellicopter to get a "practical" time run and use that as a guide.

This also brings up a question from me. Is there a reason one shouldn't connect the heated clothing to the hellicopter's battery?

FF

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Need to know the amperage draw of the product, the amperage rating of the battery, and the discharge rate of the battery.
Like he said, boat batteries are great for that. UPS batteries are similar. Get something like a gelcel that can deep-cycle numerous times since you'll be depleting the cel often.

BTW, Jeff at Gerbing is out of town right now but still has access to his emails. Since so many of his customers use the products for hunting/fishing, I bet he could tell you the answer without thinking too hard.
I think his email is [email protected]

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FastFreddie said:
This also brings up a question from me. Is there a reason one shouldn't connect the heated clothing to the hellicopter's battery?
Yes, in order for me to do that I would have to have it certified to fly with that in use. If I just had a battery under the seat with me using it for power, not connected to the helicopter at all I don't have to do anything.

I'm just trying to figure out if the time I would get out of it is worth taking the extra couple pounds. Gotta remember, with a small helicopter like what I fly I have to do weight and balance calculations and if I take a battery with me I have to deduct that weight from the fuel. So I can't take anything big.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
PoleCat said:
Is the electric system on the egg beater 28V?
Regardless of incompatibilities like this, I'd create a (1A - 6A) charging system from whatever to 14.1 volts for the battery. Cheaper to set up a charger than to resort to the higher cost of deep cycle batteries. With a charger, you can also use a less beefier and lighter battery to absorb the peak current requirements of the liner.

·
Registered
927 Posts
As long as the heated clothing is not 'HARD' wired to the helicopter it does not have to be certified for aircraft use. It would the same as using a non certified hand held GPS. Just plug it into a cigarette lighter socket and enjoy the cool clean air of winter.
Ride ( & fly ) Safe
Ken
ATP, CFI, CGI, A&P

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Bottom line is the battery will last longer than the gas!

I think the wing battery is an 18 amp hour battery (per the YUASA site). IF (and that is a big if since I know little or nothing about Gerbing) the load is 70 watts as quoted by the poster above, 18 amp hrs would power the heater at 100% duty cycle (on the entire time which is obviously not going to happen) for just about 3 hours to complete discharge.

If you assume a 50% duty cycle (power on about half the time, probably a reasonable guess) the battery would be at approximately 50% discharged state (or 50% charged if you are an optimist) at about 3 hours.

The other posters are right in that you probably really need a "deep cycle" type battery to do this most cost-effectively. A motorcycle battery will work but I suspect the life of the battery will be SIGNIFICANTLY compromised by repeatedly taking it to a low state of charge repeatedly. Starting batteries, like the wings, are really not meant to be run to a significant state of discharge and then recharged. (They are designed to give a big shot of juice for a very short time to start the engine which then recharges the battery.)

But wait, we are talking about a helicopter here. That totally eliminates the "cost-effective" issue, doesn't it! Stay warm and stay safe.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Move South..................................just kidding. :lol: Don't they make hunting clothes that work off of those big square 12v batts. for flahlights?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
How about looking for a 24 or 48vdc PWM controller??? (whichever a chopper's electrical system is) The jacket is only a resistor in the circuit geared to a certain wattage (heat) at 14vdc.. If you had a proper controller, you wouldn't need to be bothered by dragging a battery around..

Here's a link to Gerbings battery specs and data that should answer some questions:
http://www.gerbing.com/acc/batteries.html

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
FUSE said:
If I just had a battery under the seat with me using it for power, not connected to the helicopter at all I don't have to do anything.

Gotta remember, with a small helicopter like what I fly I have to do weight and balance calculations and if I take a battery with me I have to deduct that weight from the fuel. So I can't take anything big.
Weight is one thing, But CG is another thing you need to consider with that small bird. Make damn sure that battery is secured in a way that there's no possibility of it moving. Picture this - you get into a tailwind situation while hovering on the ramp. Now you've got to use more collective, left pedal, and aft cyclic as the tail comes up behind you. But the battery slides forward into the chin and changes the CG so much that you run out of aft cyclic. I won't bore you with personal war stories, except to say that running out of pitch, pedal, and ideas all at the same time is not a good feeling.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stu_O said:
FUSE said:
If I just had a battery under the seat with me using it for power, not connected to the helicopter at all I don't have to do anything.

Gotta remember, with a small helicopter like what I fly I have to do weight and balance calculations and if I take a battery with me I have to deduct that weight from the fuel. So I can't take anything big.
Weight is one thing, But CG is another thing you need to consider with that small bird. Make damn sure that battery is secured in a way that there's no possibility of it moving. Picture this - you get into a tailwind situation while hovering on the ramp. Now you've got to use more collective, left pedal, and aft cyclic as the tail comes up behind you. But the battery slides forward into the chin and changes the CG so much that you run out of aft cyclic. I won't bore you with personal war stories, except to say that running out of pitch, pedal, and ideas all at the same time is not a good feeling.
Oh I gotcha trust me. It will be secured under the seat.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cakeman48 said:
As long as the heated clothing is not 'HARD' wired to the helicopter it does not have to be certified for aircraft use. It would the same as using a non certified hand held GPS. Just plug it into a cigarette lighter socket and enjoy the cool clean air of winter.
Ride ( & fly ) Safe
Ken
ATP, CFI, CGI, A&P
That's the issue, there is no cigarette lighter socket so it would have to be hard wired. Wish I could just plug it in but not with this cheap a$$ helicopter... And I don't expect the owner to go out of his way at all to accomidate me by putting one in.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Them "deep cycle" batteries are large, heavy etc.

I would think that a mobile battery floating around in the cabin of a flying machine could be a danger and costly.

Plus you are going to have to carry that sucker, to and fro each time you want to use it.

I think that there has got to be a better solution. Mixing passions is not always the best thing. What works in the woods, won't necessarily work under water.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Gerbing sells a battery pack to go with their clothes. Don't know anything about it, but it's on their their website.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bulldog said:
What works in the woods, won't necessarily work under water.

Bulldog
That is so freaking true. Even if I wanted to go w/ a deep cycle battery I could not. Seat loads on each seat is 225lbs. I'm already at 205, then my gear. Can't get one of those batteries, way to heavy. When I say under the seat it's different than like a car seat. It's like a box about the size of a milk crate. Anything in there is secured and can't go anywhere. But I'll just stick with my chem packs that heat up when opened.

A little bit of cold fresh air can be good for ya anyways, right????

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
I got to hand it to Helicopter pilots... that seems like it would be a bear to operate..... I have always been in awe seeing them in the air..

http://www.helis.com/sounds/bo-ch47.wav

Matt(Ashland,MA) :eek:4:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts